What's new

Feather AS-D2

I have now used my new Feather AS-D2 4 times and I think I can say it's a winner. So far, using Feather blades I have not had a nick or weeper or anything even close. The razor feels so mild, you wonder if it's cutting the beard. Then, doing a rinse between passes you realize the beard is disappearing and the result is a BBS or DFS, however you want to rate it. With either my Merkur 34c or EJ DE89 I would have some irritation or weepers on my neck at least once during the 4 shaves. Bottom line, I'm glad I sprung for this razor and can highly recommend it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I broke down and ordered one based on the comments of folk here but it has not yet arrived. I really want to see how it does against my old Gillette razors.

Great! - I knew you would like it, congrats! - Your experiences completely match mine. I love my Feather, it is my only modern razor.

Compared to my vintage Gillettes I find the quality of the shave superior. Never ever weepers, cuts, rashes or anything.

But still, have to admit that oftentimes I find the shaving experience almost too easy, and I really love the 'feel of history' I get from my Slim and my other vintages.

But all days when I want to be sure to look my best - for parties or for important meetings - I always bring out the AS-D2 as then I am sure that I will have the perfect shave. It is just so forgiving and effective!

And the perfect thing of having more than one razor is that you can switch for whatever experience you want every day. :001_wub:

Last edited:
I have many razors of all types. If I had to give all but one away, I would keep my Feather AS-D2. As far as only using a Feather blade, I have found that any blade is great in my Feather AS-D2. Even the carbon steel "Black Beauty" blade!

My current favorite razor is the ball end tech. I've heard the geometry and shave of the feather as d2 is almost identical to the tech. So I know I would like it. But given that I have several techs I just can't justify the price of the feather given that they are so similar.

Congratulations! Have you found your destination razor?

So far I'm really happy with the AS-D2, 5 shaves now with the original Feather blade and I'm getting smooth comfortable shaves. For me, it's superior to my Merkur HD or my EJ DE89. I do not anticipate wanting another razor for awhile. I know there are plenty of good ones. However, my other two are pretty well respected razors, but they do not compare to the Feather for smoothness and ease of use.

With a Feather blade, it rocks.
It does but I was surprised to see that with the Personna Comfort Coated ("Lab Blue") it's even better. I use both, mainly because I have both, but the Persoona are my first choice with the AS-D2.

It does but I was surprised to see that with the Personna Comfort Coated ("Lab Blue") it's even better. I use both, mainly because I have both, but the Persoona are my first choice with the AS-D2.
Ok I need to try this - I have a nice stock of Personna Labs but with the AS-D2 with a Feather blade I find myself using pressure to get DFS with my Italian/Sicilian beard and that results in nicks & weepers ... maybe the Labs are the trick!

EDIT- Just to clarify, I've only used the AS-D2 with Feather blades.

My current favorite razor is the ball end tech. I've heard the geometry and shave of the feather as d2 is almost identical to the tech. So I know I would like it. But given that I have several techs I just can't justify the price of the feather given that they are so similar.

Maine and Florida are almost identical too, you know, on the corners of the country, lots of coastline etc.:001_smile

The Tech and Feather are 3 piece SB razors but the similarity ends there. They are made with different material / finish, size and weights are radically different.

With all the different blades I have and now three different razors, I now think I only need the Feather AS-D2 and Feather blades. It gives me the best and smoothest shaves I've ever had. I think now after six shaves I've found the perfect DE razor/blade combo. I guess I do need to try the other hundreds of blades in the AS-D2 to use them up and see how they work, even though I'd be happy just to continue with Feathers.

Ok I need to try this - I have a nice stock of Personna Labs but with the AS-D2 with a Feather blade I find myself using pressure to get DFS with my Italian/Sicilian beard and that results in nicks & weepers ... maybe the Labs are the trick!

EDIT- Just to clarify, I've only used the AS-D2 with Feather blades.

Keep the pressure light and do more passes/strokes, lather when needed. The ASD2 is not going to reduce any beard fast.

I apply lather twice. After the first lather, I use as many strokes it takes WTG until I don't get any more feedback or feel any more resistance. I use swift light strokes.

I apply lather a second time and no the same thing ATG and any other direction need for BBS.

I address each area of my face differently, if an area needs more strokes to BBS, I do more. If an area needs less attention, I do less. For instance, my chin takes more strokes to BBS than my cheeks and one spot on my chin takes 15+ light swift strokes ATG to BBS.

When you add pressure, you are simulating a razor with more blade exposure.

Light, swift strokes and reduce beard one stroke at a time!

The Tech and Feather are 3 piece SB razors but the similarity ends there. They are made with different material / finish, size and weights are radically different.

The ASD1 is a clone of the postwar Tech. The ASD2 is a slightly modified ASD1.

The ASD2 head is wider than the Postwar Tech but the blade you put in the ASD2 is not wider so the added width doesn't matter.

Weight only matters with an axe or a hammer, not with razors, for me anyway.

The ASD2 has the same performance and feel as the original, the postwar Tech.

The ASD2 is the best postwar Tech clone I've seen.

Keep the pressure light and do more passes/strokes, lather when needed. The ASD2 is not going to reduce any beard fast.

I apply lather twice. After the first lather, I use as many strokes it takes WTG until I don't get any more feedback or feel any more resistance. I use swift light strokes.

I apply lather a second time and no the same thing ATG and any other direction need for BBS.

I address each area of my face differently, if an area needs more strokes to BBS, I do more. If an area needs less attention, I do less. For instance, my chin takes more strokes to BBS than my cheeks and one spot on my chin takes 15+ light swift strokes ATG to BBS.

When you add pressure, you are simulating a razor with more blade exposure.

Light, swift strokes and reduce beard one stroke at a time!

The ASD1 is a clone of the postwar Tech. The ASD2 is a slightly modified ASD1.

The ASD2 head is wider than the Postwar Tech but the blade you put in the ASD2 is not wider so the added width doesn't matter.

Weight only matters with an axe or a hammer, not with razors, for me anyway.

The ASD2 has the same performance and feel as the original, the postwar Tech.

The ASD2 is the best postwar Tech clone I've seen.
:a29:.........Wait, you were serious.:blink:

AS-D2 is my go to razor too. I have few other razors but AS-D2 by far gives me my most comfortable shaves. I have always paired it with feather blades but right now the AS-D2 is loaded with Astra SP for the first time and tomorrow I will give this combo a try.

AS-D2 is my go to razor too. I have few other razors but AS-D2 by far gives me my most comfortable shaves. I have always paired it with feather blades but right now the AS-D2 is loaded with Astra SP for the first time and tomorrow I will give this combo a try.

Let us know how you like it with the Astra SPs, I have a hundred of them!

Last edited:
Let us know how you like it with the Astra SPs, I have a hundred of them!
A DFS in 2 passes. I spent so much time on prep (shower, face wash, face scrub, super lather) that I did not have time for a 3rd or 4th pass for a BBS!
The shave was smooth. i think I like the astra+ASD2 better than Feather+ASD2.
I too have hundreds of Astras that I use with my Fatip, Merkur and Muhle, but Im going to use the Astras with the ASD2 for sometime.
If you give this combo a try, do let me know your opinion.

Top Bottom