What's new

Feather AS-D2

any razor With a New feather or a gillette yellow blade is a good razor , but With less good blade you need a better razor , and if Your razor dont cut it you can shim it towards the baseplate , then it get more agressive ,

any razor With a New feather or a gillette yellow blade is a good razor , but With less good blade you need a better razor , and if Your razor dont cut it you can shim it towards the baseplate , then it get more agressive ,[/QUOTE

Everyone's face and facial hair is different. On my face the AD-D2 gives me the best shaves I've ever had without any nicks, weepers or irritation. When I try for BBS with either my DE89 or Merkur HD I cannot avoid irritation or weepers, especially on my neck, and I've tried many different blades. For whatever reason with the AD-D2 I don't have these issues. So far I've only used the AS-D2 with Feather blades and its still so new I'm only on my 2nd blade with 10 shaves total. I put in a new blade after 7 shaves, not because it felt like the blade was getting dull, I've always used blades a max. of 7 shaves. I have Personna Reds, GSBs, Astras, German Wilkies and many more blades to try, so time will tell how it works with other blades. If it turns out that only Feather blades give me the results I want, I can live with that. Feather blades are readily available and do not cost that much more. We are talking what, $10 a year more for Feathers?

the truth is everyones technik is different , the hair is not changing , its the same , you make nicks , weepers and irritation by Your dull razor and Your bad tecknik, a Tech razor is Tech razor even if you pay 150$ for it ,

How is the Feather (steel) razor compared to something like a Merkur 34C?

It is a little more forgiving in the shave. You can still nick yourself with an AS-D2 if you are not careful, just not as easily as with the Merkur. The Merkur is still a great razor in every way. I don't think I could make the case that the AS-D2 is worth 4 or 5 times as much as the 34c, it is if you want it and can afford it. If you don't want to spend the dollars on the Feather, the Merkur shaves just fine, IME.

I had two good shaves with AS D2 loaded with Perma Sharp. Tomorrow will be trying Lord blades.
Lord Super Stainless (green and blue) in an AS-D2 is/was the biggest failure so far. It wasnt smooth and pulled hair, it simply couldn't cut. In terms of prep and lather nothing was changed.

Here what has worked so far: Feather, Astra SP, Perma Sharp (the winner)
What hasn't worked: Lord Super Stainless, 7 o'clock (green)

Last edited:
weak razor needs strong Sharp blades , get yourself a better razor
Not weak, but mild:001_cool:
I do have other razors but find the shaves I get from AS-D2 (provided I use a sharp blade) superior to my other razors. I do love Astras in my Fattip or Supermax in my Merkur. But I prefer Permas in my AS-D2 for my SOTD everyday.

Top Bottom