What's new

Feather AS-D2 Marine Grade SS

I believe the Feather is the only razor that uses this higher quality stainless steel. It is what gives the razor that special sheen and the main feature is it repels soap scum, it seems to stay like new with a simple dry off after each shave. Amazing piece of kit.

I love the look, feel, and performance of my Feather All Stainless. It's one of my favorite razors and always gives me an irritation free shave.

The sheen of the razor comes from matte chrome plating.

Here is the info fellow member Kentos received directly from Feather.

I sent an email asking for translation of the terminology on the Japanese website, citing the terminology in JAPANESE to avoid language issues.

It is confirmed the razor is CHROME PLATED in a matte finish. If anyone wants the email I will be happy to post it or email it to ya :). Gentlemen be careful with your Feather razors! I will take better care if mine...

My email:

Hello!

I have read on your Japanese website that the Feather AS-D1 is ベロアメッキ. Does this mean the razor is chrome plated-クロムメッキ with つや消し?

Aloha,

Kent

Reply today

Thank you very much for your e-mail dated February 18, 2012 through our
website.

We very much appreciate your interest in our all stainless steel razor, and
we are pleased to inform you that the surface treatment of this razor is
matted chrome-plating
just as you mentioned, and that is also what is meant
in Japanese description in the website.

Thank you very much again for your interest in our products.

Best regards,

=================================
Tsuyoshi Ishiyama
FEATHER SAFETY RAZOR CO., LTD.
OVERSEAS TRADE DIVISION

I agree with the OP. The razor is one of the easiest to keep clean and just glides so smoothly. Have had mine 3-4 years or so, no issues.

The Weber PH is a 316 handle and 17-4 head. That is high quality stainless. I had no idea that the Feather was chrome plated. I actually expected it to be stainless on the outside, which I would prefer.

Yep - the Ikon and the Feather both actually are plated SS. Comes as quite the shocker to many. But not to take anything away from the feather… what a great product!

The Weber PH is a 316 handle and 17-4 head. That is high quality stainless. I had no idea that the Feather was chrome plated. I actually expected it to be stainless on the outside, which I would prefer.

Several of the high end manufactures have offerings that are bare stainless. Most of them suffer "staining" from blades unless special steps are taken to break them down and dry after each use. Feather avoided that with the matt finish.

If I ever scratch my Feather AS-D2, it will still be stainless underneath. I figure the chrome is added protection, not a fault. It sure works well, regardless. Black would make any scratches VERY obvious.

You can't scratch DLC PVD. It is ~3000 HV hardness. That is about 4x as hard as a razor blade edge.

Last edited:
You can't really scratch DLC. It is 3000 HV hardness.

Now you are talking personal preference, which is fine, but I have a very fine solid black razor, the RRSS V1. Wonderful razor but one thing that could improve the looks to me would be to go lighter in color. Cream / soap build up is extra easy to see with a black back drop.

You can't scratch DLC PVD. It is ~3000 HV hardness. That is about 4x as hard as a razor blade edge.

I'm not worried about scratching it with a razor blade. In fact, I'm not worried about scratching my Feather AS-D2. But yeah...I've seen plenty of scratches on PVD surfaces. It is used often enough on watches. A guy who does that sort of work says:

Can PVD coatings be scratched or damaged?
Yes, PVD coatings are not impervious to scratches. That being said I cannot recall an instance of a watch being returned because a customer’s expectations for durability were not met.
Is the coating warrantied?
Our coatings are warrantied for one year against defects in the vendor’s application. There is no warranty against normal wear and tear, accidental scratches etc.

http://www.industrialwatchworks.com/dlcpvd-faqs/

I have it on my iKon. I don't worry about it, either. In the end, it is a razor - not my child, dog, horse or heirloom. If it gets a scratch, it gets a scratch.

Mine has a couple of scratches on the head. They show as shiny parts in the otherwise matte finish. Any idea if that can be fixed easily?

While I am sure that I could devise a way to scratch DLC, a DLC PVD coated razor is not going to get scratched. It is just not a reason to avoid making it black. Cerakote is another matter - that could realistically end up scratched.

Hadn't really thought about it but correct, it really seems to clean easier than other razors.

While I am sure that I could devise a way to scratch DLC....

I've owned multiple PVD coated watches from reputable makers, and all of them got scratches over time. A razor is less likely since it shouldn't be used around wrenches, etc...but then, I doubt the chrome on my Feather is going to scratch very easily as well.

If you like black and think it is pretty, fine. Go buy one. I've got an iKon OSS that I like. But any coating can scratch. Feather wasn't avoiding making it black...they just chose a hard plating very close in color to SS.

Mine has a couple of scratches on the head. They show as shiny parts in the otherwise matte finish. Any idea if that can be fixed easily?

Not really…. there is not a simple way to fix the plating, unfortunately, at least that I'm aware of.

Not really…. there is not a simple way to fix the plating, unfortunately, at least that I'm aware of.

I think this is the primary trade off with coating/plating stainless steel. You get aesthetics and lower maintenance, but if the coating/plating ever does get damaged there is no easy DIY polish/repair like there is for uncoated/unplated raw stainless steel.

As far as which razors are made of what ... this is the breakdown of the currently manufactured stainless steel models:

(Please correct me if there are any errors or omissions)

Above the Tie:
* CNC machined from 303 stainless steel
* brushed (I'm not sure if by the CNC machine or manually) and passivized (self healing)

Feather AS-D2:
* metal injection molding (MIM)(?) from stainless steel (undisclosed?) alloy powder
* chrome plated

I Kon:
* metal injection molding (MIM)(?) from stainless steel (undisclosed?) alloy powder
* proprietary coatings which vary by product line

Los Angeles Shaving Soap Company BBS-1:
* CNC machined from 316L (since ~#25?) stainless steel
* manually(?) polished and passivized (self healing)

Pils:
* CNC machined from stainless steel alloy
* manually(?) polished and passivized (self healing)

Weber:
* sintered from 17-4 PH stainless
* manually polished and passivized

Wolfman Razors:
* CNC machined from 316L (since ~#25?) stainless steel
* manually polished and passivized (self healing)

There is also RazoRock's stainless (which I don't know anything about) ... and also Rockwell (but they probably need to refine their manufacturing process before they deserved to be included in this list)

More info at:
* http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness
* http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Manufacturing_Methodologies

I emailed seki edge and asked them whether the steel in their asd2 was injection molded sintered or cut steel. They said it was machine cut high grade steel.

Top Bottom