What's new

Feather AS-D2: Cutting face, not hair!

I am very disappointed with my Feather AS-D2...I cut my face, but not the hair on my face. I've tried so many methods...exfoliating every so often, hot showers before shaving, lathering and cutting several times in different directions, and refraining from exerting pressure when shaving. I can't seem to figure it out. My disposable razors gave me a better shave. Can anyone offer me any help?

The Feather AS-D2 requires a very shallow angle on the head. The blade must be as close to parallel to the skin as possible.

This might be stupid advice, but I believe the AS-D2 is a single edge (SE). Dual Edge (DE) angles, techniques (apart from proper prep) do not necessarily apply. SE needs to be as steep an angle as possible, just as xxvaleria mentioned. I would encourage perusing the SE forums and looking for videos on SE razor shaving.

I used mine once and couldn't figure out what the deal was. While it's absolutely beautifully made I did not manage a shave. No cuts or anything - just a shaving conundrum. I have a strong beard so it just wasn't for me. Luckily someone wanted an AS-D2 (+ cash) in exchange for an Asylum Rx so I happily parted with it.

Thanks, I'll take a look. Out of sheer curiosity, is the angle reqd on the ASD2 different from say another non-aggressive razor like a black beauty on setting 1?

Agreed, I cut myself at first and didn't get shaved. There is a very specific angle on the AS D2. Now it shaves great.

Also look at your blade ... I found that some even the feather blade was a little aggressive (and didn't last long). Tried a Polsilver and a light touch with the right angle and get one of my better shaves

This is a mild razor that should work just fine once you figure out the optimal technique. As OP suggested reading through the wiki on blade angle should help. You will get there with a bit of effort!

The problem is not the razor but poor technique using it. Have you made any progress in this direction?

I appreciate your checking in and asking. I have received a myriad of potentially helpful tips and advice; however, I am having little success. I am not cutting some of the hair (e.g., on my neck) and I continue to cut my skin and bleed. Part of my problem is owing to not having adequate time to engage in "trial and error" to test out the various factors involved with the shaving process. Also, I have little comprehension of some of the advice (e.g., how to hold the blade "parallel to the skin").

I am seriously interested in possibly hiring someone who can teach me - in-person - how to shave. I live near Toronto, Ontario.

Also, I have little comprehension of some of the advice (e.g., how to hold the blade "parallel to the skin").

I am seriously interested in possibly hiring someone who can teach me - in-person - how to shave. I live near Toronto, Ontario.
You don't need someone to show but have you had a look at the Shave Wiki link at the top of the page, in the main menu bar? It explains the angles involved, and uses diagrams to explain as well. It is a very good Wiki in explaining blade angle.
In fact, because of the razor geometry, you cannot use the blade parallel to the skin. You can however use the razor with the blade at a shallow angle to the skin, sometimes referred to as "riding the cap". This is all explained in the Wiki.
I am not cutting some of the hair (e.g., on my neck) and I continue to cut my skin and bleed. Part of my problem is owing to not having adequate time to engage in "trial and error" to test out the various factors involved with the shaving process
The neck can be a tricky area as there is loose skin which gets caught by the blade if it is not stretched. So stretching the neck and turning at an angle can help stretch the skin. The wrist should generally be locked so use very short strokes with the razor at changes in angle like the jaw line. Flicking with the wrist must be avoided.
Use light pressure. I like to think of it as two components. Perpendicular to the skin you only need enough pressure to let the blade glide along the skin. Parallel to the skin only needs enough force to cut the stubble; think in terms of just removing the lather.
What blades are you using? Gillette Silver Blue or Astra SP work really well for me. Spend a little time at the weekends working on technique. I hope this helps.Come back to the forum if you need more help.

If the AS-D2 is your 1st or only razor, you should definitely try a deferent razor. The AS-D2 as mentioned is very picky about angle, and is really harder to learn on than a more aggressive razor.

Top Bottom