What's new

Feather artist club with pro blades: cutting me to bits

Hi guys

Having been using a sanguine coolcut 9 for my around beard clean up (cheeks, above tache, parts on chin etc) for ages without even a weeper.

I moved onto a feather Ac with pro blades as an issue with the cc9 is that you only get half a blade length.

Well the AC is literally cutting me to ribbons, tearing my face up and leaving me with angry skin. It's a horrible experience. The antithesis of what I thought a high end Shavette would be.

Do you think a light stopping would help?

My CC9 cost £12 with 20 personna blades. The AC has cot me with blades about 10x that.

Nothing has changed about my prep its still pre shave exfoliator, morfose clean shaving gel, post shave Proraso green.

Which Feather AC model is it?

If it is the SS the best way to use it is at a shallow angle keeping the lip in contact with the skin. If it is the DX I would suggest getting the Feather Pro guard blades.

Using the guarded blades might help initially. Kai also produce them.

Here is the recommended technique for the SS:
feather-artist-club-ss-lime-shaving-razor-f1-25-204b.jpg

That is a shallower angle than you use with a straight. It is half the shoulder width. You can apply quite a bit of contact (I am loath to call it pressure) to the lip, but the contact of the blade must always be as light as a feather.

Which Feather AC model is it?

If it is the SS the best way to use it is at a shallow angle keeping the lip in contact with the skin. If it is the DX I would suggest getting the Feather Pro guard blades.

Regarding the SS I second this fully. Among other knowledgeable people, @Seveneighth has posted on this before, and his contributions helped me to trust the design. I posted this in another thread this morning:

'A low shave angle and firm lateral pressure enable the lip to raise your skin before the blade, which results in buttery-smooth shaving.'

Good luck!

Luke

proguard blades and a sallow angle. And keep with proguard for
Many many shaves. The professional blades won’t forgive slightest technique vieses.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

I just started with the Feather SS Kamisori. Used the Feather Pro Super blade for the first try and came away with three small weepers on my hardest to shave area (chin), and some razor burn.

SO, on my desk right now are Kai Captain Titan Mild blades, and Feather ProGuard blades. I have the Kai loaded up for tonight. I'm hoping for a better experience with less burn.

I'm also working on my technique and keeping a very shallow angle, letting the SS "bump/guard" glide along the skin.

Ive used both the western (folding) and Kamisori style Feather SS razors pretty extensively and you could try the ProGuard blades but I never really felt there was a whole lot difference from the Pros to the ProGuard.
One thing I will say about the Feather is that the blades are wicked sharp and it is very easy to cut yourself with them. Depending upon what blades you were using with your CC, you may find that Feather blades are quite a bit sharper and easier to nick yourself with.

Second shave went "better" than the first. And by better I mean I didn't nick/cut myself. I really worked on technique/angle (shallow!) and it helped.

However, I did switch blades to the Kai Mild, which are okay, but don't seem to work as well on my tough beard. They definitely have less exposure than the Feather Pros.

I'll keep trying; I think getting my technique down will be the key. If anyone saw Team America, I looked like that guy when he went under cover ... all patchwork. :) Pulled out a trusty DE and cleaned up nicely.

Second shave went "better" than the first. And by better I mean I didn't nick/cut myself. I really worked on technique/angle (shallow!) and it helped.

However, I did switch blades to the Kai Mild, which are okay, but don't seem to work as well on my tough beard. They definitely have less exposure than the Feather Pros.

I'll keep trying; I think getting my technique down will be the key. If anyone saw Team America, I looked like that guy when he went under cover ... all patchwork. :) Pulled out a trusty DE and cleaned up nicely.
Theres no shame in tapping out and using a DE when its not going well or for areas that you struggle with. A lot of people when they are learning will start with the cheeks and use the DE for their neck and for cleanup.

"
Well the AC is literally cutting me to ribbons, tearing my face up and leaving me with angry skin. It's a horrible experience. The antithesis of what I thought a high end Shavette would be.

Do you think a light stopping would help?"

You need to tighten your skin more and use a flatter angle and a lighter touch. Imagine you are tickling your face with a real feather. It took me months to perfect my technique with the AC, and that was after being fully confident and competent with a traditional straight. The razor should be so flat that it only just engages the stubble.

I prefer the AC to everything else, and now with ~350 shaves with it, I can easily get a perfect comfortable shave every time, even with new blades. So yes the technique is quite a bit different to a traditional straight.

Had my 3rd round on Tuesday night, using a fresh Kai Mild.

Much better results this time; no nicks or cuts. I'm really figuring out proper angle. And I'm figuring out how to handle the "blind spot" issue. :)

So, I'll keep scraping at it. Pun intended.

I did a clean up pass with my DE, and nicked the crap out of my chin. :D

Hi guys

Sadly I've given up on the AC and gone back to my cc9.

I just couldn't take to it. Each shave was getting progressively worse to the point whereby it just wasn't an option to go to work looking like Id try to shave with a cheese grater.

Sold it on.

I Really hate to say this but the best shave I get is......... The gillette proglide!!!

I want to go old school but just don't have the time to spend half hour on a shave that doesn't compare!

Feel free to gain me now lol

I Really hate to say this but the best shave I get is......... The gillette proglide!!!

I want to go old school but just don't have the time to spend half hour on a shave that doesn't compare!

Well, I'm still using my Fusion on my head bone. DE's for my face. Have you tried DE razors? (Not sure what CC9 is?)

Also an update: I used the AC with a Feather Proguard for my latest shave. More improvement, but only marginal. What I love about the AC is it mows down multi-day growth nice and easy... no clogging because there's nothing to clog. Love it.

Now I need to get to the point of smooth, close shaves like I get with my DEs. So far, there is a lot of stubble. Mostly because I'm trying not to flay myself. :)

Hi TD sanguine coolcut 9 shavette (very much like a straight - feels more like one than the AC)

Yep I did go DE for a while, again just too much time.

Using the folding Feather SS with a Pro Guard blade has become second nature at this point in my SR evolution. The manufactured blades taught me a lot of what to expect for those blades I established and maintain myself. Can't say if shaving with 24 hour growth is an advantage or disadvantage. I now often include it in a Daily Double. For me the Feather AA is about as well made and effective option out their that I've seen. The Pro Guard idea is genius.

A shame the SS/ Feather Pro combo didn’t work for the OP! It’s what sold me on shavettes over traditional SRs!

Currently enjoying the Weck stainless med prep shavette with Personna hair shaper blades for the last week. Feels much more like an SR shave than the Feather. Couldn’t pick one over the other as to my favorite at this point!

Top Bottom