What's new

Feather artist club with pro blades: cutting me to bits

I'm about 5 shaves in with my SS. Third shave with the ProGuards.

So far so good; each shave better than the last. One pass then quit on a good note and DE second pass.

However, 3 shaves on my first ProGuards and the blade is toast... Already tugging. Must be my lack of good technique.

Next up I'll revisit the Kai mild or ProSuper.

Loving it!

I'm about 5 shaves in with my SS. Third shave with the ProGuards.

So far so good; each shave better than the last. One pass then quit on a good note and DE second pass.

However, 3 shaves on my first ProGuards and the blade is toast... Already tugging. Must be my lack of good technique.

Next up I'll revisit the Kai mild or ProSuper.

Loving it!
I had the same experience where I thought the blade was dull. Perhaps yours is indeed "toast". I would not dispute your experience. Now days, a blade, though not used daily, will last for months.

I had the same experience where I thought the blade was dull. Perhaps yours is indeed "toast". I would not dispute your experience. Now days, a blade, though not used daily, will last for months.

I will pay more attention ... if I can get a month's worth of shaves off one blade, that would be great. Between my tough beard and learning the razor, I'm sure I'm not being kind to the blade.

My "toast" might be perfectly usable for some folks, and I'm probably being overly cautious and sensitive to tugging.

I will pay more attention ... if I can get a month's worth of shaves off one blade, that would be great. Between my tough beard and learning the razor, I'm sure I'm not being kind to the blade.

My "toast" might be perfectly usable for some folks, and I'm probably being overly cautious and sensitive to tugging.

As I first learned to shave with the AC SS I found a big improvement away from tugging when I began to adjust my angle more consciously. As per advice I'd found on this forum, by lowering the angle and pressing the flat side of the razor more firmly to the skin, resulted in far better shaves with a much smoother feel during and after. This might be something you already do.

ETA: as my technique's improved it's probably increased the usable life of the blade, but personally I get about 7 shaves per blade doing my scalp / beard edges.

Last edited:
The ProGuard blades are a nice suggestion. Kai blades are slightly less sharp as well. With the Feather AC blades when I initially started I noticed that the first few shaves were not very forgiving until the blade dulled a bit around shave four or so. After that they were way more forgiving but still no less efficient. I just had to get through the first few shaves.

What I discovered was to take a new Feather AC blade and to run the blade edge gently through a cork that I had sitting here from a wine bottle. The cork ever so slightly dulls the edge simulating putting a few shaves on it. Not a worry as these blades can easily go for thirty shaves a blade or more. This got me past the initial harshness that I experienced and made the blade feel like I was starting out at shave four or like maybe I was using a Kai blade. After my technique improved the initial blade harshness disappeared and I didn't have to cork the blade anymore to keep from nicking the hell out of myself the first couple shaves.

The ProGuard blades are a nice suggestion. Kai blades are slightly less sharp as well. With the Feather AC blades when I initially started I noticed that the first few shaves were not very forgiving until the blade dulled a bit around shave four or so. After that they were way more forgiving but still no less efficient. I just had to get through the first few shaves.

What I discovered was to take a new Feather AC blade and to run the blade edge gently through a cork that I had sitting here from a wine bottle. The cork ever so slightly dulls the edge simulating putting a few shaves on it. Not a worry as these blades can easily go for thirty shaves a blade or more. This got me past the initial harshness that I experienced and made the blade feel like I was starting out at shave four or like maybe I was using a Kai blade. After my technique improved the initial blade harshness disappeared and I didn't have to cork the blade anymore to keep from nicking the hell out of myself the first couple shaves.
I too recommend the cork with the Pro blades. I'll do this sometimes with Feather DE blades. I have a Feather DX Kamasori I've used 5 times. Until my technique improves I'm sticking with the ProGuards. My first use of the Pro blade showed me how ignorant and confident in my skills were. I lost! Shallow angle most definitely. For now, ProGuard blades are for me. They will still bite if the technique isn't there.

The Feather Artist Club blades are exceptional. This system has a very steep learning curve and it shaves quite differently to a regular straight razor. You need the flattest possible angle and a much lighter touch.

The Pro blades are sharper than the Pro Supers on account of their being thinner. So I recommend the Pro Guard or Pro Supers for you.

Imagine that you are tickling your face with a real Feather or just trying to scoop off lather. This razor will take you much longer to master than a traditional straight, so you need some serious patience and persistence.

Good luck.

I have a Feather AC folding and a CJB non-folding and frankly both scare the heck out of me, but wow, can they shave! I haven't had the patience to truly master these beasts yet, but I keep them around hoping that someday, I will.

Top Bottom