What's new

Feather All-Stainless DE

That's a cool stand... I'm a little biased towards the feather one. ;-)

I think I like this Dovo/Merkur stand because it can hold a brush (30mm opening!) and also the razor "fork" is closed. The problem I have with most razor stands is that the razor can slide off and fall from the stand (which is not good for open combs in particular). I actually closed the loop/fork on my cheap stand for exactly this reason. It's nice to see someone thought of it though.

Argh, another $80 for the stand? But it's so hard to find a decent stand...

proxy.php

Last edited:
I got the same message at BullGoose contact them for availability. It didn't say out of stock.

I tried to buy from Bullgoose; but, when I clicked to put the razor in my shopping cart, it showed as "The Feather Stainless Steel Razor is not currently available. Please contact us for availability of this item."

Hmmmm. You're right, it doesn't say "out of stock" - it says "not currently available." See the part of the cut and pasted quote that's in red).

I think I like this Dovo/Merkur stand because it can hold a brush (30mm opening!) and also the razor "fork" is closed. The problem I have with most razor stands is that the razor can slide off and fall from the stand (which is not good for open combs in particular). I actually closed the loop/fork on my cheap stand for exactly this reason. It's nice to see someone thought of it though.

Argh, another $80 for the stand? But it's so hard to find a decent stand...

proxy.php

I think that is the stand that is intended for a brush and a straight razor, the dimple on the bottom is to give the tang a place to sit and stop it sliding. I have the one with a fork at both sides and so far (touch wood) no razor has slipped off because the razor fork turns up at the end, but it does not come with a dimple on the base, both are good but expensive. It is a beautiful stand and the satin finish also matches the satin Merkur Futur very well. OK so I have a good stand, I must now have to get myself one of these Feather razors, it seems a good enough justification for me:tongue_sm

I exchanged a couple of emails with Hairizon and they seem quite responsive and for me in the UK there is little difference between ordering from the US or Asia, both will be subject to import duties; it is a bit of a lottery if they apply them but tif they do it could add around £30 ($40) to the total if you went for the full set.

I am a with Texbilly on being a sucker for a beautiful piece of engineering, it looks absolutely flawless and made out of Stainless is (as Bob pointed out) quite special. At least it is free Airmal shipping, I will give this some thought but I have enjoyed reading this thread (and the many others) it helped me quite a bit in my quest to fond some "real" reviews" and Texbilly's pictures are amazing, far better then the manufacturers or anywhere else I have seen so thanks to Tex for posting them.

Ah nice stand, hadn't seen one like that before, this is the one that I got years ago so didn't pay as much as it is now.

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/stands/dovo-safety-razor-stand-915.php

Problem is my friend I have found no one in the UK or EU that is selling them. Your only option at this time is to order from Singapore or from a US vendor, both of which could leave you smarting from import duties and VAT plus the RM handling charge.

That's the impression i was getting shaving shack have it listed as out of stock pity. Do you have a reliable company to order from abroad?

good god this thing is expensive!! does it come with a heating and air-conditioning?!

the japanese packaging is great and all but man!! hey if you can afford it...

so what's the deal with stainless steel? will it last forever or something? I imagine my chrome plated merkur will start to wear down over the years but I think that is part of the charm.

That is one of the most beautiful razors I have ever seen! I'll never slip that purchase by the wife though. :tongue_sm

That's the impression i was getting shaving shack have it listed as out of stock pity. Do you have a reliable company to order from abroad?

The Shave Shack has the AS-D1 listed for £159.99, you can get that direct from Hairizon for £120 (roughly), if you pay the import duty it works out the same. For the Japanese pack with the stand from Harizon it converts to £154, with free shipping so it is tempting to go direct and get the "full monty". Personally if I do decide to order either model I will go to Hairizon direct and take my chances with HM customs and excise. If I get lucky and it sails through the postal system I win; if not I pay the same amount as Shave Shack would have charged me anyway, only real difference is the points you get with shave shack.

I am not saying Shave Shack are ripping you off, they obviously have to pay the VAT and duties themselves but they may get a slightly better price than you or me could get on buying the razor and that is their profit. Over the years I have found Airmail has a "better chance" of getting through without scrutiny than surface mail but it is hit or miss. Because this would be above the clip level the formula you would get hit for is as follows,

((Goods + Postage)*Duty)*VAT

Then you add a carrier fee RM is about £8 per package but some carriers such as FEDX and UPS can charge a brokerage fee of £20-£30 and some others like DHL charge £1.25 for residential deliveries. Importing to the UK is quite complex and I could go into detail but don't want to derail any more than I already have, If you want more details and the links for the .gov sites where the thresholds are laid out (I can provide a couple of worked examples to help) then PM me.

Back on topic, beautiful razor and I really want one. I will decide if I have enough money after I get paid this month and maybe take the plunge until then I will enjoy window shopping.

Hope this helps.

Ok ive ordered the full set and fingers crossed on the import, when vie bought watches abroad some have got through no problem others have been charged, either way its worth a punt to me. Thats it now no-more shaving stuff for a while :biggrin1:

The Shave Shack has the AS-D1 listed for £159.99, you can get that direct from Hairizon for £120 (roughly), if you pay the import duty it works out the same. For the Japanese pack with the stand from Harizon it converts to £154, with free shipping so it is tempting to go direct and get the "full monty". Personally if I do decide to order either model I will go to Hairizon direct and take my chances with HM customs and excise. If I get lucky and it sails through the postal system I win; if not I pay the same amount as Shave Shack would have charged me anyway, only real difference is the points you get with shave shack.

I am not saying Shave Shack are ripping you off, they obviously have to pay the VAT and duties themselves but they may get a slightly better price than you or me could get on buying the razor and that is their profit. Over the years I have found Airmail has a "better chance" of getting through without scrutiny than surface mail but it is hit or miss. Because this would be above the clip level the formula you would get hit for is as follows,

((Goods + Postage)*Duty)*VAT

Then you add a carrier fee RM is about £8 per package but some carriers such as FEDX and UPS can charge a brokerage fee of £20-£30 and some others like DHL charge £1.25 for residential deliveries. Importing to the UK is quite complex and I could go into detail but don't want to derail any more than I already have, If you want more details and the links for the .gov sites where the thresholds are laid out (I can provide a couple of worked examples to help) then PM me.

Back on topic, beautiful razor and I really want one. I will decide if I have enough money after I get paid this month and maybe take the plunge until then I will enjoy window shopping.

Hope this helps.

Wow, you guys buying the Japanese-market sets are on fire! Let no one accuse me of being alone in caving to the beauty of cool packaging! :biggrin1:

Looking forward to all impressions!

Wow, you guys buying the Japanese-market sets are on fire! Let no one accuse me of being alone in caving to the beauty of cool packaging! :biggrin1:

Looking forward to all impressions!

You are the patient 0, instigator, enabler , ect......this time no doubt about it Bill. :thumbup: :lol:

Feather should give you a commission.

It's not a Japanese market set, but my Feather All-Stainless got its first workout this morning. My experience was similar to my first use of the Pils DE - I didn't get the almost-BBS shave that I'm used to with my Cobra Classic.

I'm optimistic that I'll parallel my Pils experience, and get much closer shaves once I develop the technique for the specific razor.

The Feather feels good and I have no regrets about buying it ! :thumbup1:

Oh... wow. I didn't know that Classic Shaving had a place set up in Palm Springs.

Apologies, wallet.

I pass through there fairly often - I live in LA and I've got business in Yuma, Arizona. I will be stopping in sooner or later. I might have to spring for a professional shave!

Top Bottom