What's new

Favorite Scales

I like the traditional big Wade and Butcher shape. I like the more modern touch on them though. Ideally I like using the original horn scales though, but most of the time they are too far gone to save.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409736358.766639.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409736423.125170.jpg

I've found my tastes in scales to evolve a lot in time. I used to like TI-style scales a lot. I still do. Then those nice CVH scales, simple elegance. For a long time I wanted some paua/MOP shell scales, when done right these can be stunning. Then those nice classic scales for big W&B choppers...

I just love them all :)

The perfect scales depend a lot on the blade. The ones I made which I like the most so far are these:$DSCF9508.jpg

For materials, ebay is usually my source.

Classic WB black horn scales or Ivory

Man I'd love to see a set of fbu scales made of ivory.

Alright, have to change my vote for my all time favorites. Red backed abalone acrylic laminate. Plus this razor was just amazing.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409833240.265003.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409833249.331970.jpg

I like these too because they aren't the same old same old,,,,
same shape different color type of thing.

sorry about the 3rd and 4th shots. It's a phone thing t-ferring pics. Just tilt your head a little .

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 111
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 110
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 112
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 111
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I like these too because they aren't the same old same old,,,,
same shape different color type I thing.

sorry about the 3rd and 4th shots. It's a phone thing t-ferring pics. Just tilt your head a little .

(Damn!) I'd kill to watch you work!

mycarver, how about an artistic female nude. Head at the wedge, arms crossed over the "emma's", hands covering the midsection, etc. Would look nice in ivory.

Thanks.
Wow. I figured out how to straighten them out!
Cherry blossoms on a Japanese razor. Cherry Red( naturally) wedge.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 116
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
mycarver, how about an artistic female nude. Head at the wedge, arms crossed over the "emma's", hands covering the midsection, etc. Would look nice in ivory.

Nothing is out of the realm of possibilities. I'm currently working on some Ivory designs to carve as well as scrimshaw. One will be coming up soon with a barber shop theme for a client that is a barber. It'll wrap around a Beeeeyoutiful FBU that should be too cool. Carved Ivory, sterling silver bolsters and color scrimshaw
the other is for a French blade stamped Monmarte in Paris and will have an Art Nouveau style or possibly Alphonse Mucha as it's appropriate for the theme.
carved Ivory naturally.

One more while I'm at it. An actual sterling silver frame with a glass(?) cover with a tiny portrait in it. Restored this one for my collection. Different if nothing else.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 113
Just screwing around in the shop and built a #0 fender washer from some 18 ga. steel. I know its steel. But it's thick and wanted to prove my process. This one is .250"o.d., could go up to 9/32".
$uploadfromtaptalk1409878322140.jpg
Sorry for pic quality, its a cell phone

Hey, stop it! Sounds like you're having too much fun.

Cool! Ain't it great just seeing what you can do? You are totally engrossed in making a tiny little washer that before now didn't exist. And you in all probability got lost in the process. 5 min. , 15, half hour or an hour. Who cares? A man after my own heart.
Now go make something else.

Last edited:
these too. An Engles with custom acrylic. A Red Injun with a red feather scale. Another whale of a razor. And a Wilshaw with custom acrylic with cracked ice inlays.

Attachments

• $IMG_7101.JPG
    $IMG_7101.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 79
  • $IMG_9752.JPG
    $IMG_9752.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 80
  • $IMG_0057.JPG
    $IMG_0057.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 78
  • $IMG_0276.JPG
    $IMG_0276.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 79
Great scales, Mark! I'm always surprised by the scale shapes that you come up with. So simple, but befitting of the blade!

Top Bottom