What's new

Favorite Gillette?

What's so special about the rocket? It looks like a British SS, but it always carries a premium, so there must be more to it.

For me they're just way more available - the one I shave with (for instance) cost me the princely sum of £1 (yup count 'em - one whole pound) which at the time was well over $2

:mad:i loved my super adjustable long handle that i brought from bst, but it recently fell apart:cursing:
good shaver though looking to replace:001_wub:

Oh, here comes that NEW craving again. I might just have to bite. Luc, saw your NEW pics. Wow! Where did you find those? They're beautiful! I notice you rate the British NEW more agressive than the US NEW. Interesting.

I like all my Gillettes, but my favorite is th '47 SuperSpeed. The '40's style SS is the best shaving, followed closely by every thing else.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Oh, here comes that NEW craving again. I might just have to bite. Luc, saw your NEW pics. Wow! Where did you find those? They're beautiful! I notice you rate the British NEW more agressive than the US NEW. Interesting.

Not by much, just a tiny bit... I got the NEW from Ebay and for the handle, you will need to check with Cooncatbob...

Last edited:
What's so special about the rocket? It looks like a British SS, but it always carries a premium, so there must be more to it.

Rockets are heftier, the TTO mechanism works in reverse of the way an SS TTO does, i.e., when the doors are opened the TTO knob is screwed in on a Rocket as opposed to out on a SS. Also, Rockets are considered to be very well-built.

So far I prefer my '53 superspeed and my pocket edition, but I have an aristocrat jr. and a ranger tech on the way, so we shall see!

Are the Diplomats and Aristocrats just SS's but gold colored?

If not, what are the differences?

Nooooo! The 40's Aristocrat is my favorite shaver and it is very different from any of the Super Speeds, including the heavy duty Red Tip. I can't comment on the British versions, but the American ones are distinct. They are heavy, well made (kinda like a non-adjustable Fat Boy) and are great shavers!:smile:

I'd have to say out of all the Gillette's (and there are many) that I own, My favorite is the 55' Diplomat shown here in my 5-18-09 SOTD.

Hey Ray, what is the shaving difference between the Diplomat and the same era Aristocrat? Obviously it must be more than just a bit of knurling on the handle?:smile:

TIA

Easy one for me and I have tried dozens of different vintage Gillette models and variations. There is one that stands head and shoulders above all the rest.

The NEW DeLuxe (1930)

I shaved with one of these tonight, Guido, one that I got from Scotty Doint. It gave an elegant shave, a relatively heavy razor.

Mine has a faintly unpleasant metallic smell though. Perhaps barbicide would help that?

Those Bull Mastiffs with a NEW head are mighty nice looking. Of the NEW fans, if you don't mind my asking, how would you describe the length and density of your beard when you shave it? Do you have a preference between the longer teeth or the shorter teeth? Do they shave differently or is it just aesthetics?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Those Bull Mastiffs with a NEW head are mighty nice looking. Of the NEW fans, if you don't mind my asking, how would you describe the length and density of your beard when you shave it? Do you have a preference between the longer teeth or the shorter teeth? Do they shave differently or is it just aesthetics?

I shave everyday so my beard doesn't have much time... I would qualify it as tough and dense. I used the long and short teeth. I prefer the long but the short are scrapping a bit more...

That said, the Bull Mastiff enhance the shaving experience a lot!

Luc, when you refer to the short teeth as scraping a bit more, is that the short teeth on a new and improved or the short tooth version (if I have my razors right) of a NEW, like this.

Top Bottom