What's new

Favorite discontinued shaving items?

Back in day before Badger and Blade, before the renewed interest in wet shaving, and before the internet, I shave with a Tech. This one razor served me for nearly three decades. I had discovered on my own that DE shaving was MUCH cheaper than the carts and disposables that everyone else used. DE shaving and its very low cost was my own little secret for many, many years (at least I didn't know anyone else using a DE). I didn't use preshaves, aftershaves, postshave balms, or alum blocks. Admittedly I didn't use a shave mug, shave brush, or shave soaps. I didn't even know those things were still available. I used a can of Edge gel, and Schick razor blades. Period. Those days I paid practically nothing to shave. That changed when I discovered B&B and fell into the rabbit hole. Now to my point: I would buy a handfull of Schick blade packs and be set for a couple of years. One day I went back to the store to replenish my supply of Schick blades, and they were gone! I really loved these blades. They worked well for me, were easy to find, and were cheap. When I couldn't fine them any more is when I was forced to buy other blades on the internet.
IMG_1895.jpg

Gillette Swedes
C&E Sweet Almond Oil Shave Cream
QED Bathtub Gin Shave Stick

Many of the others have been mentioned so I only added those not stated yet.

marty

In looking at the British, French and German Wilkinson webbsites, I noticed that the Wilkinson Classic Razor made out of black plastic is no longer listed. Instead, there's a sort of metal retro-razor, which hasn't reached the shops here yet. On the one hand, it's about time - the molds were getting worn out. On the other hand, I will miss it. It was a forgiving razor, and a good, cheap way to get into DE-shaving - using other blades naturally.

There are still plenty of the plastic Wilkinson Classics on the racks of the discount drugstores though.

Top Bottom