What's new

Fav Artisan Soap Maker?

Some new, some not…

Ethos - Colonia and Dragonsbeard
Tallow + Steel - West Indies and Sicily
Stirling - Glastonbury and Varen
Saponificio Varesino - Manna di Sicilia and Colonia (released by Asylum Shaveworks)
PannaCrema - Nuavia Blu and Nuavia Vert

Mystic Waters/Mystic4Men’s unscented. Since I started wet shaving a few months ago I have been using it and really like everything about it.

Bonus: Michelle, the Soap Maker, will be at Greenbelt Farmers Market (Greenbelt, Maryland, a suburb of DC) tomorrow and every other Sunday for the season, so hopefully I will meet her!

+1 on the Market meetup; Michele is nice lady with great stuff and always has bunch of goodies at the Farmers’ Markets. My wife liked a bunch of her other soap and skin care stuff too that we found visiting her at the market.

Stirling is absolute king in my den, but some of the others that don't get much Insta-cred are Mikes, Shannons and Chiseled Face. Shannons especially is criminally underrated with all the cool kids!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Stirling- they have a LOT of scents to
choose from and sell very generous samples.
Barrister & Mann- they have some new soap bases that I haven’t tried but they’re older stuff is great and the new bases get great reviews.
Mikes Natural- Orange Cedarwood and Blackpepper
I also like Uncle Jon’s out of Maryland. His Pipesmoke scent reminds me of summer evenings with my grandfather smoking his pipe on the back porch. It’s a very cherry/vanilla cavendish type scent.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Black Ship Grooming:
Captain Scurvy (Sandalwood, Vanilla, Lime)
Tortuga (Fun, Summery, Fruit, Candy)
High Seas (Aquatic/ozone)
Shipwreck Cove (Aquatic)

Goodfellas' Smile:
Abysso (Aquatic with a smoky twist...one of my favorite aquatic scents)
Inferno (Burning embers, Leather, Spice)

Ethos (favorite specific soaps: Colonia & Greenfresh)
Grooming Dept. (favorites soaps: Angel, L'Avventura, Regenwald)

Those are my top two artisans -- heck, soapmakers, period -- as judged by the quality of the soap for shaving. Close to them would be Arianna & Evans (Kaizen & K2, particular soaps being SoCal Hipster, Vacanza Romana, London Gin Club), Tallow+Steel (West Indies, Sicily, Indian Bay), and Los Jabones de Joserra (Vanitas and Green Twist). The last three -- A&E, T+S, Joserra -- are on the same level that I put the non-artisanal SV and DRH. Not often mentioned but a soap I've used only once so far but enjoyed was Talbot Shaving (Champlain).

I like a soap that smells great during the shave, but the scent doesn’t linger. Mike’s Natural is like that, and I get great results with it. I have the peppermint and rosemary.

I've recently tried Captain's Choice creams and soaps. They're fantastic!

I also recently tried a Barrister and Mann soap (42) and loved the lather it made.

Top Bottom