What's new

Fatip slant observation

I noticed that on my open comb Piccolo there were still cut/grinding marks of the sides of the top cap….BUT IT’S A GOOD THING.

On one side the marks go like this ///////// and like this \\\\\\\\\\ on the other.

The comb is only stamped with the Fatip logo only on one side.

Personally I find that if these slashes \\\\\\\ are placed on the same size as the logo, I can get both sides of the razor to behave much more similarly.

The opposite could be true with yours, it just depends on how the top and bottom caps were mated.

If this observation has been mentioned before, I’m sorry but I haven’t noticed it before.

sounds weird... got any pics to show exact condition?

This is not my photo, it was taken by a member here called ShavingByTheNumbers, hopefully he won’t mind me borrowing it.

Zoom in and you’ll see what I described.

full

rrrrrrrrrrrrr:letterk2:

you had me search the site for a photo, then I find one in one of your own posts!

Zoom in on your top cap:

img_20220601_102850-jpg.1465177

Just kidding, all is good:lol:
TBH I don't know what kind of ////// I've imagined, guess something more like a rough unfinished machining... like physical scratches. Sorry for calling out 😊

Now we're aligned I'll give it a few tryouts with Piccolo and FOCS. Maybe there is something related, I swear I never noticed those or mistaken them for coating or play of light.
Thanks for pointing in this direction

Alright, for the final verdict here's some pics ahead:
IMG_20230412_181242.jpg

IMG_20230412_181307.jpg

FOCS - nicely polished ends, no //// at least not clear ones. Blade alignment somehow sets itself in slanted way but even on both sides, I get comfy shaves nevertheless.

IMG_20230412_181425.jpg

IMG_20230412_181434.jpg

IMG_20230412_181439.jpg

Above seen Piccolo SE in "oposite" position of ///// \\\\\\ and blade is uneven (which is expected having in mind thin Fatip pins and wiggle room for any blade)

For "correct" //// markings, in same direction, I see nothing better or worse:

IMG_20230412_181628.jpg

IMG_20230412_181640.jpg

IMG_20230412_181644.jpg

perhaps in last image is one corner slanted but I did full re-assembly to keep it test-consistent:
- top cap upside down
- drop the blade
- drop the comb
- screw the handle while upside down
- tighten up to 80% and recheck blade, reposition if needed

Nice photos!

My base plate has no grinding marks on the sides and my top-cap sides look very much like your regular Piccolo top-cap sides.

It must just be a quirk of my razor that the top-cap marries the base plate better in one orientation than the other.

But regardless of all these things, this razor remains my favorite shaver.

For some reason I found Treet blades to have min. wiggle in Fatips, maybe their punching mould have smallest holes. Fatip has the narrowest blade pins of all my razors. For rest combos - if I see outsanding disproportion, like 1mm on left and 0.2mm on right, yeah, I'll correct it manually or if blade is diagonally moved but it's a rare occasion. BICs are also fine, Persona blue, Wilkinson black... there is loose grip but not too bad, I give part of "credit" for missalignment to this mechanical properties

My favorite blade for it is a Tiger Platinum, it too is the tightest fitting.

Treet…on my list to try
Personna lab blue….will be trying soon
Bic and German Wilkinson blades…only two blades I absolutely can’t stand in any of my razors

Most of the dozen or so blades I have tried are fine.

Top Bottom