What's new

Fatip Grande vs FOCS

I admit that I love Fatip Grande and that could be my only razor paired with a GBS.

Now my curiosity is on the Fatip slant version, aka FOCS.

I know many here have them both. Is there any advantage getting the FOCS over Grande?

Also, does the Gold version of Fatip razors loose their plating like the black ones (Fatip Piccolo special version)?

Thanks friends!

I've owned a gold Grande for about three years and although I only use it every couple of weeks or so it still looks immaculate.

Only the black version has issues, the gold ones are fine.

I have both (OC's) and find them equally efficient with the Slant being a touch smoother.

The gold plating is perhaps not as durable as the nickel or chrome. If your razor gets dropped or knocked around, the gold plating may get damaged slightly. Definately avoid the black, though, unless you like the "aged" look of the coating coming off.

My nickel and chrome plated Fatips have had no durability issues.

The FOCS shaves very similar to the Grande, maybe the FOCS is a little smoother. I like the Schone variant of the Grande quite a lot and would have a hard time choosing between that or the FOCS.

The gold plating is perhaps not as durable as the nickel or chrome. If your razor gets dropped or knocked around, the gold plating may get damaged slightly. Definately avoid the black, though, unless you like the "aged" look of the coating coming off.

My nickel and chrome plated Fatips have had no durability issues.

The FOCS shaves very similar to the Grande, maybe the FOCS is a little smoother. I like the Schone variant of the Grande quite a lot and would have a hard time choosing between that or the FOCS.
I have the Piccolo special edition and it has been a disappointment due to the lost plating. I wish it was another plating quality, at least I have the base plates as backup.

I am tempted to get a gold Focs now.

I have the Piccolo special edition and it has been a disappointment due to the lost plating. I wish it was another plating quality, at least I have the base plates as backup.

I am tempted to get a gold Focs now.
Same here. I have my Special Edition now for a month and the plating on the top cap is starting to come off. Still a great razor with the two base plates. Purchased a nickel version to compensate 😁.

Cheers,

Guido

How would I do that? I mean removing the black coating easily without scratching the surface ?
I would try using a gentle metal polish or jeweler's rouge with a buffing wheel mounted on a bench grinder. You don't want to use harsh abrasives or scotchbrite pads. Going through the nickel plating would bring you down to the brass.

It might be possible to use something like a Dremel tool, but a buffing wheel would keep both hands free.

Top Bottom