What's new

Fatip alternative or replate?

I have been using a Fatip piccolo for a few years straight now. I really like it but have noticed that it is losing a lot of its plating. Is there another razor that is similar that is a better quality or should I send it out for replating? I know it could buy another but they have changed the design. Any opinions appreciated.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I would keep it and find a new razor to try. Sure, it won't be as pretty without some of its plating but it'll shave. For the price of a replate/replacement you could try something new that you might like better. You never know.

If you like it why not replate it. Sure it may cost you more than the razor cost but it will be worth it if you like the razor.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I know it could buy another but they have changed the design.

Whats changed in the design that you dont like?

There might still be some Fatip Mk.1 razors available. The ebay seller I saw that had some is gone though. @Raven Koenes might know of a seller.

Keep it. The plating should have absolutely no impact on how it shaves. I have a Schone Open Comb, made by Fatip, and I plan to continue using it until I can no longer hold one in my hands. Then I'll pass it on to my son, if he should want it.

I would keep using it if you are happy with the razor. It is not like zamak where you have to worry about it rotting on you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If you really like the razor then I would say go for a replate. It might not be the most expensive razor in the world, but it obviously has value to you so that makes it worth doing.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
For the price of a replate you could by another Piccolo and RazoRock SLOC with money left over. As an added bonus you'd still have the one with plate loss. I guess I just don't see the value in having a readily available $20 razor replated when I could buy a new one for much less then the cost of the replate. Has the cost of a replate gone down significantly?

Perhaps I feel this way because I'm not a minimalist and enjoy collecting razors? I don't know. I guess you could get a thicker Nickel on the replate and its likely to last a VERY long time. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the opposing viewpoint.

For the price of a replate you could by another Piccolo and RazoRock SLOC with money left over. As an added bonus you'd still have the one with plate loss. I guess I just don't see the value in having a readily available $20 razor replated when I could buy a new one for much less then the cost of the replate. Has the cost of a replate gone down significantly?

Perhaps I feel this way because I'm not a minimalist and enjoy collecting razors? I don't know. I guess you could get a thicker Nickel on the replate and its likely to last a VERY long time. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the opposing viewpoint.

+1!!! Fatips are inexpensive. I bet the cost to replate it with any level of quality would actually be more than the razor originally cost. brandaves is absolutely correct.

And lets not forget the Mk II head is a significant improvement. The blade allignment is much better.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Whats changed in the design that you dont like?

There might still be some Fatip Mk.1 razors available. The ebay seller I saw that had some is gone though. @Raven Koenes might know of a seller.
Plating loss will not affect the razor or how it shaves as others have pointed out. It's purely cosmetic. If it is an Mk1 and that's what you are used to you can always have it replated. I would consider upgrading to Rhodium or Gold just because that would be unusual. Who am I kidding, I'd keep it in nickel as that's traditional. Here is a link for nos Mk1's from an Italian Vendor: 2x Safety Razor Fatip Vintage Large Small Safety Razor maquinilla AFEITAR | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Rasoio-sicurezza-Fatip-vintage-grande-piccolo-safety-razor-maquinilla-afeitar/323948329663?hash=item4b6cd33abf:g:ODoAAOSwHDdcogPW They are still available. He is asking a $110 Dollars (yikes) for the nos Mk1's. Where did the German Vendor go? This may make a replate worth it if you can't live with the cosmetic issue. I prefer the new Mk2 Fatips by a wide margin.

Last edited:
You can replate if it's important to you. It doesn't have to make financial sense, it's your money and your razor.
I would probably keep it as it is.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They are still available. He is asking a $110 Dollars (yikes) for the nos Mk1's.

Thats a price jump...

Being solid brass I wouldnt worry about the plating, but fresh plating would cost less than their price for the razor.

I also have a Mk 1, that I wish to stick with rather than switching to what I gather is a slightly less efficient Mk 2, and it too is approaching needing a replate

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the UK I can get this done?

Also, am I right in thinking that the only difference on the newer version is the ever so slightly wider top cap?

I have only a single Fatip, which is aggressive, similar to a Joris.
But it shaves well.
IIWM, I'd replate yours and shave with it.
Just my 2c.

acqua di parma fatip omega september 2 2015.jpg

Top Bottom