What's new

Fatigue (Shirt) Jackets

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I’ve been looking at getting one for quite awhile now. I came across this one which I think falls in that sweet spot of “shirt-jac”. Not quite the bulk of a field jacket but a bit more than a shirt. Perfect for those cool days and nights. This one is made by Flint and Tinder. (No affiliation).

It is a bit more fitted than the fatigue shirts offered by Alpha Industries but it also has just enough room to wear over a tee shirt or button down shirts.

Over a hoody might be a bit snug. I think it could be dressed up a bit and certainly dressed down. The fabric has a bit of stretch too and the placard and cuffs have a frog camo design which adds a nice touch. Just a great, versatile piece to add to one’s closet.

I’m guessing this jacket should only get better with age.
4147F689-9F4E-49F2-A050-64BBD8693E0E.jpeg
4D06DE04-00F1-490D-88D8-CE1DA1D2CB4D.jpeg

Frog camo design on inside placard
2714703A-3847-4C52-933A-09F9A1E02CE8.jpeg

On the interior cuff
D5D43B7E-3571-46E5-A5C1-FA7937D7615F.jpeg

Under the chest pocket flap
2295F416-0084-4973-9237-B9A790B92F98.jpeg

4F27F81C-9A8F-4332-8769-05B39DDF78C8.jpeg

On the seam pockets
6FE496B7-4438-47EF-95FA-AF336A7EAD30.jpeg

Large interior pockets on both sides.
F7B729E6-FB96-4833-B5AE-ACF54C5CC132.jpeg

Do you have one? Let’s see it.

Interested in one? What particular characteristics are you looking for?

Last edited:
I have a few chore coats and shackets - have been wearing the below recently (in the green).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You lost me at the word "fatigue" :tongue_sm

I've had a few padded and corduroy overshirts through the years, but not in anything I'd consider military themed, and I have never worn anything with even the merest hint of camouflage.

The nearest I have to that, and I only wear it very rarely, usually if I'm having a bonfire, is a Swanndri wool overshirt. That's a very practical shirt for outdoors activities, but not one I like the look of, and wouldn't wear it away from my own backyard (for reasons touched on above). I might have worn it when camping once or twice, but nowhere "public".

I did used to have an excellent corduroy one years ago, which had the side and interior pockets, and completely wore it out. Not seen anything close since, at a price I'm happy to pay.

The closest I get is a DieSel Co jacket in dark blue. It’s quite good - plenty of pockets including an interior map pocket. Its flaw is that like some jeans it tends to offset indigo onto light colored seating - like the perforated tan leather in my car. This means that it spends most of its time on a hanger.

Overall I’ve never been especially keen on military style gear for street use - real stuff surplus or stylized versions. Generally they are utilitarian and practical but so are a lot of other options. That said, I like the Wrangler cargo pants since they have a very useful cell phone pocket. I’ve recently switched more the Kuhn renegade fire chinos - even more pockets and a bit better styling.

B64C7F41-D082-40D4-BDBC-8B2F63FEA8FE.jpeg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Looks nice. Flint and tinder makes some nice stuff. Not a surprise its more fitted than the originals. The original GI fatigue shirts - or blouses, if you prefer - certainly had a shirt-jac vibe. See how they wore their uniforms on MASH, which was of course NOT regulation, but maybe a more accurate example of how guys wore uniform items casually after they got out of the service.

Here's my contribution. It's canvas and leather trimmed. I bought it off the 50% rack at a Harley Expo in Myrtle Beach, SC 18 years ago. I have worn it tens of thousands of miles on a motorcycle. The sun has faded it gray. The wind causing the arms to flap when riding has beaten the arm pits to the point of shredding. I sewed them back together at least once. The care tag says "Dry Clean Only". I am not paying for that...lol. Every few years I hang it up outside on a sunny day, spray it down with Simple Green, and rinse with the hose.

20220420_142931.jpg
20220420_143013.jpg
20220420_143100.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom