What's new

Fatboy question

In '58, did Gillette make ONLY the TV special with the flared tip? Or did they keep making the usual adjustable, which is now referred to as Fatboy?

Thought I posted this question elsewhere but now can't find it. Guess I didn't hit "post."

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
In 1958 Gillette was making at least;
The Tech
The 50's style Superspeed
The TV Special Superspeed
The Fatboy
The Toggle

In 1958, Gillette still made the regular "Fatboy" along with the TV special, right? I ask because I found a '58 today and was a bit confused by the date site.

1958 was the first year for the fatboy. It had a "D" designation for 1958 and you'll find the quarter it was made stamped opposite the D.

It was sold regionally during the early part of the year and the D4 model was sold nationally/internationally. You'll find a few D3 models if you look hard enough, and the "prototype" model often marked D1. I believe I've seen a few D2 models around, but the D4 would be the most common one.

The D4 for was the first production run that went out for regional test marketing. A pretty rare find....Nice score!

Yes, it is rare. I perhaps wasn't clear about that. The 1958 models are rare and therefore highly valued.

They are also somewhat different than subsequent years as well. For one thing, they have a thin black and a thin brass ring under the adjuster ring. The later models have a thicker black only ring.

Various people have reported that they shave better than later years. That wouldn't surprise me, given that the D series were the originals, it may perhaps be that the quality control was a bit tighter. Certainly they are a bit different than later years.

Last edited:
That's what I got, then. Decided I have enough neck beard to try it out - I have a beard ["Heretic!"] - with one of my new hospital blades. Got a little carried away b/c there's some weeping going on. You can definitely feel the thing in your hand the whole time; I can see the appeal of them. All in all, I have to say I think I prefer the feel and shave of the red tip better, tied with a gold TTO Aristocrat I had briefly. And still prefer my super adjustable to the red tip and Aristocrat (crazy, huh). But the fatboy would be a close third.

Last edited:
Top Bottom