What's new

Fat Boy hype

Given all the comments I read while a lurker on B&B, I decided I had to try jump into DE shaving and had my sights set on a Fat Boy. I scored a Fat Boy with a case on my first visit to the antique store. :w00t: Newbie luck I guess. :biggrin:

After 3 weeks, I have it set at 5 and get the best shaves of my life with little-to-no irritation. I will try moving to 7 in the next week or so. For me, the Fat Boy delivers.

That said, I still want to try a Tech, SS, SS red tip, Rocket....Can't fight the RAD.:wink:

I prefer non-adjustable razors--Super-Speeds, Hoffritz Slant, Gem G-Love. However, the Gillette Fat Boy is still an awesome razor. No doubt.

Me

Those who recommend setting a FatBoy at 7 are spot on, IMHO.

Others comments last week helped me with this. When set at 3, I think I was adding pressure to the weight of the razor, or easing up, and not getting a close enough shave as a result. That led to either a "less than close" shave, or irritation.

At 7, there seemed (for me) to be enough blade exposure to correct both problems.

I love the Fatboy also and have used it for about 2 weeks. What is the conventional wisdom on just boiling a Fatboy?

I have boiled various ALL METAL Gillettes and it does not hurt them at all. Just don't let the water boil away, and use ONLY water - no other chemicals.

I also lubricated my Fatboy with a light oil. Some folks give it a mineral oil bath. Also, I have an ultra sonic cleaner that will remove dirt from every crevice.

To me, the Fatboy is far from the best shaver out there. Merkurs and others Gillettes (but mostly the Merkurs) have it beat hands down! But it does feel great in the hand. And it is, in my humble opinion, the coolest looking DE ever. For looks and feel, I rate it above anything by Merkur, and even anything by Gillette - including the beloved Aristocrat.

I agree. It's hard for me to understand how so many people manage to get such good shaves with a Fat-Boy. I would rank the Slim Handle and all the Super-Speed's from the 40's and 60's above the Fat-Boy.

Same experience here. I respect the Fat Boy, but I prefer the Slim. The Slim's head geometry is ever-so-slightly flatter than the Fat Boy, and the handle just slightly longer, but they make a difference. The difference gives me a finer feel and more control of the shave.

I LOVE the look and feel of the Fat Boy. One of the most attractive razors Gillette ever made after WWII, almost industrial art. The gold ones are just killer. And, I can get a good shave with a Fat Boy, with some care.

But the Slim is the only Gillette adjustable I've used that I really like. Non-adjustables like the Aristocrat and Super Speed, or old-fashioned 3-pieces like the Big Fellow, Bostonian, and Tuckaway, are the "pinnacle" Gillettes for me. Throwbacks to a different era, like me.

But the Fat Boy is just cool, and I think it basically deserves all the hype it gets. A man could do a whole lot worse than a shave with a Fat Boy. :whistling:

Got a Fat Boy early but shave with it rarely..I think it gave me my first DE BBS..Even though my current favorites are non-adjustable The Fat Boys are in the will....

Anyone who likes the Fatboy has to try a Slim Adjustable.

And by the way - I was the knuckle-head who once boiled a Gillette in vinegar; takes all of the nickel plating off in no time flat :w00t:. But it WAS clean.

Love the slim but haven't tried the fatboy.

Other than the handle, what is the real diffrence between a fatboy and slim?

Is it the head profile? Or is it in the adjustability?

Thanks,
Eric

I have a slim, ss, and HD. I just pucked up a fatboy, black handled SS, and black handled tech. I've used the slim a handfull of times set at 3-4 and its ok, but nothing great. I finaly picked up a fatboy and am going to shave with it when I'm done reading around the web. I hope it lives up to its hype.

I think it is hype...I like the slim better. Actually my rotation consists of a President, a pre-lettered superspeed, a red tip and a tech. Occasionally use the slim.

I think it is silly the price differential between the slim and the fat boy. Esthetics

Top Bottom