What's new

Fat Boy hype

If you've read more than five threads on B&B, chances are you've come across someone extolling the Fat Boy. I finally broke down and bought one the other day. It's a little smaller than I expected, but feels great in the hand. Not to mention it looks great.

After boiling and cleaning it up last night, I took it for a spin this morning paired with a Feather. I had it set to 3 just to be safe, and can now see what all the fuss is about! Maybe it was the Feather, but besides a couple weepers on my neck from going too fast, it was a really good shave. It's going to be my main razor now and I'll give my Tech a little vacation.

So as always, YMMV, but there's a reason the Fat Boy is hyped so much!

I have one but hardly use it. I, too, have it set at 3. Nice, close shave, but I get irritation when it's set at three. Maybe I should give it another try tomorrow and set it at 2. But it is, a great razor!! Hope you enjoy yours!

Great inspiration guys. I do believe I will include one of the 'Boys in todays SOTD. Still pondering other essentials.

I never use mine. I have tried it at a lot of settings with a myriad of blades. I just like my superspeed better.

I have a black tip superspeed, but didn't like the shave that much. It has a Derby in it at the moment, so maybe I'll throw in a Feather next time I try it out and see if that helps.

Tried the Fatboy. Sold it. For me, compared to the Slim Adjustable, especially the Super Adjustable, and the Tech, it was sub par.

I have one but hardly use it. I, too, have it set at 3. Nice, close shave, but I get irritation when it's set at three. Maybe I should give it another try tomorrow and set it at 2. But it is, a great razor!! Hope you enjoy yours!

I kept getting irritation when I had mine set at 5. I went to 3 and had even more irritation. I was set to sell mine and then one day, for reasons that I can't recall, I set it at 7 and WOW. A close comfortable shave in two passes and BBS in three.

While it is a good idea to go slow and to be careful, and of course be aware of technique; don't hesitate to set it higher and see whether you like it. From what I can tell, the old Gillette adjustables are not overly aggressive especially compared to the Merkurs for example. I find my fatboy at 6 or 7 shaves about where my progress shaves at 1.5.

Tried the Fatboy. Sold it. For me, compared to the Slim Adjustable, especially the Super Adjustable, and the Tech, it was sub par.

I agree. It's hard for me to understand how so many people manage to get such good shaves with a Fat-Boy. I would rank the Slim Handle and all the Super-Speed's from the 40's and 60's above the Fat-Boy.

I got my fat boy and used it but it gave me a horrible shave compared to my slim and tech...but i went back to it last night...and wow i dont no wat i was doing before with that thing...cause i got a great shave last night...had a couple nicks but its cause i got to cocky...haha

Just got my fatboy in, i'll give her a test run in the morn. But i have to say. it feels great in hand.

I really enjoy my Fatboy. It is on my "A" list. To the other, I purchased a Slim and I do not really care for the shave that I get from it.
As always, what works well for one my not work so good for another.
IMHO of coarse.

Top Bottom