What's new

Failed Rockwell 6C - replace or upgrade?

Your question - is the stud too small...

I assembled and disassembled two Gillette Techs, which also use the 10-32 thread, using both the Rockwell and the two original aluminium Tech handles. Using the Tech heads, all three handles were loose with quite a lot of play, but tightened correctly and held OK. Using the Rockwell top cap and stud, the Tech handles had less play than with their own Tech top caps. So this suggests the 6C stud isn't undersize. When I fitted the 6C handle on the 6C head the play was horrendous - the handle hardly engaged with the stud. So my observation is that it's the handle that's the issue. Anyone who has a Tech in their collection can try this and see if they get the same result.

In a world of M5 threads I've no idea why Rockwell used the 10-32 thread, or even if the Chinese factory making the parts is using M5 or 10-32 or possibly mixing the two. I haven't tried screwing up the Rockwell handle on a M5 head because that might damage it even more. I carefully and very lightly started the Rockwell handle on a M5 top cap and it stopped part of the way, and I removed it at that point without using any pressure whatsoever. So I believe the handle is a 10-32 thread in theory, though in practice the tooling used must be worn or out of tolerance because the threads are very sloppy indeed.

So my conclusion is that the stud on the top cap is less of an issue than the thread in the handle, which points to trying out other handles. Since almost all handles use the M5 thread, they're going to be looser anyway. Whether the stud will hold up over time is anybody's guess.

And now for something rather surprising - the redundant Rockwell handle has produced a very nice Frankenrazor. I took the head of an Ever-Ready 1912 and fitted a screw from my screw box - I believe it's a 2BA thread. Went in fine. So I sawed the screw head off and it fitted nicely in both the head and the Rockwell handle. The Rockwell has a 2cm depth of thread, and there was plenty of purchase with very little play. Result! So I now have a very posh GEM razor. Dimensions are 112mm overall and 80g weight, 22g in the head, 56g in the handle and 2g in the screw. The balance is good. With a PTFE blade it shaves very close. This may now be my favourite razor. The ER1912 is the one with the aluminium handle with all the little dots on it. It cost me next to nothing - they're always very cheap. The Rockwell handle was a reject looking for a home. So when the thread goes on your 6C you now have - surprise surprise - a Blackland Sabre killer on your wash stand.

ER1912+Rockwell.jpg
ER1912+Rockwell1.jpg
ER1912+Rockwell2.jpg
ER1912+Rockwell3.jpg
ER1912+Rockwell4.jpg

Not only has the Rockwell handle found a home on my Ever-Ready 1912 as above, I've solved the question of how to reconstruct the Rockwell itself. By a lucky chance I bought a cheap Chinese razor in the UK branded YNR which looks to have 2BA threads of all things. The plate was rubbish but the top cap and handle are a good weight and fit nicely. The top cap (pic on L) is pretty much identical to the 6C (pic on R) and I'd say that in the hand I like this at least as much as the original 6C. Handle is 78mm x 11mm and 48g. Whole razor is 89mm and 90g. A good day's work and a nice outcome. Haven't had a shave yet but looking good.

Rockwell 6C+YNR.jpg
Rockwell 6C+YNR1.jpg
Rockwell 6C+YNR2.jpg

Top Bottom