What's new

Failed Rockwell 6C - replace or upgrade?

Hi Guys,

This morning my beloved 6C failed - the threading on the handle is stripped out, and I've only had it for a year. And yes, I always treated it carefully.

Rockwell service is really helpful, they offered me either a new topcap and handle for free, or a 35% discount on a 6S (I mentioned I might be temped to upgrade), which would be $65, if I'm correct.

Soo, what should I do? Is the stainless-steel 6S really so much more durable than the zinc 6C?

(In case someone asks: I'm a softie, I use the #2 plate) :)

Thanks!

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I don't think you could go wrong either way. Glad to hear their customer service is doing you right.
For what its worth, I love my 6S.... Do it, get the 6S!

Is the stainless-steel 6S really so much more durable than the zinc 6C?

Yes. I'd take the upgrade. And if it's only the handle that stripped, pick up a new handle from Maggard or someone, and keep the old one as an extra or travel piece.

If you love the way your Rockwell shaves, I would definitely take the upgrade for $65. It will last forever and down the road you will not care about the money at all. If you think you might outgrow it, take the replacement. I've had a 6S since the beginning. It was about the only razor I used, despite buying lots of other stuff, most of which cost more money (some by a lot). My Karve has dethroned the 6S.

If your using way down on the mild plates, I would go with the upgrade. I was using plate #6 exclusively and it just got to be not enough blade for me. My 2 cents.

In your situation I would probably go for the upgrade, but since I have a 6C I'm interested in exactly what happened. Are the threads on the top cap stripped or the inside threads on the handle, or both? I had an Edwin Jagger DE89 where the threads on the top cap corroded but the handle was just fine.

Another option would be to take the replacement and for less than the cost of the upgrade buy a Razorock Game Changer with the original plate. It's a mild stainless steel razor that would be as gentle as the lower 6C plates (in my opinion).

Threads inside handle stripped on my 6C. I rec'd new handle and top plate from Rockwell. I think this had been a pretty common problem with the 6C. I don't think this is a problem with the 6S.

I vote to get the upgrade to the 6S.

When researching razors there were quite a few mentions of razors made of zamak getting stripped threads. Whether the material got damaged or from overtightening. This isn't as much a problem with stainless steel, more durable and usually more expensive.

@Steve_in_CT, I've read that Edwin Jagger has great customer service too. Have you contacted them?

Ask if they'd do both! - Get the replacement cap, keep it as a spare or travel unit and buy the 6s at $65-ish. The 6s is a great razor. If you happen to like things shiny like the 6c, a little rouge and a dremel makes is shine as nicely as any other polished stainless razor.

I vote to get the upgrade to the 6S.

When researching razors there were quite a few mentions of razors made of zamak getting stripped threads. Whether the material got damaged or from overtightening. This isn't as much a problem with stainless steel, more durable and usually more expensive.

@Steve_in_CT, I've read that Edwin Jagger has great customer service too. Have you contacted them?
No, I bought a new DE89 before I read some posts about Edwin Jagger providing free replacement caps. The good news is that it only cost me about $25 for the new one. I used the old one at least 5 days/week for over 5 years, so I didn't feel bad about the $25 over 5 years.

I bought the 6S, but really only because having an all-stainless razor was a big deal to me -- I knew I wouldn't be satisfied until I had at least one. That being said, I wasn't satisfied enough to avoid RAD, although the 6S (using the #5 plate) is one of the only 5 razors I've actually used (and I continue to use it).

That 6S decision is up to you; If your handle is undamaged, then you can't go wrong either way. I will make a few suggestions, though they may seem obvious:
1) Don't over-tighten the head; snug is good enough.
2) Don't force it if the cap doesn't want to screw into the handle, back out and re-align to make sure that you don't cross-thread.
3) I also keep a small squeeze bottle of mineral oil at my sink. If razor assembly feels a little rough, I add a drop of mineral oil before continuing.

The materials on the 6S will prevent (for the most part) the problem you are currently experiencing. I would take the upgrade for $65 and never look back. I own both the 6C and the 6S and, although the 6C is "prettier", I find myself reaching for my 6S 90% of the time. It is a very special razor and for $65 a complete no-brainer.

Thanks everyone for all the very interesting insights!

To answer some of your questions:
- I think my talent regarding the crafts is not that bad, I do have a feeling for material and am absolutely certain I never overtightened it. As I also regularly clean it, I haven't experienced gunk buildup in the thread which may have lead to it. Oh well...
- I don't have a thread gauge lying around, but the head's thread looks fine. The handle's thread is difficult to judge, obviously.

I ordered a generic handle so I can use it again (that should arrive tomorrow or so), but will go with the 6S. I really can't complain about the 6C, I sold every other razor I had (bad move in hindsight), so I will probably enjoy the 6S as much.

I’d go with the upgrade. Also ask them to blade test the 6S before they ship it out. They had a bad batch the last go around. There were razors where the blade would not slide all the way down the cap without pressure. I believe the problem has already been remedied but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Top Bottom