What's new

Face lathering with the Kent BK8

Every time I read a thread about the Kent BK8, people always talk about how it's the best bowl lathering brush around. I totally agree with that. I bought mine a couple of months ago and have strictly bowl lathered with it. Then, I read that a few people have mentioned they also like it for face lathering. I always thought it would be too big on my face, so I've stayed away from that.

Well, in keeping with the IOTW, Speick Stick, my BK8 came up in my rotation this morning. I thought, ok, I'll give it a shot. How bad can it be? I have to say, it was a superb experience. I rubbed the stick on my face, and put the BK8 to work. The pillowy softness felt great. As I worked it around, I was surprised that there was plenty of backbone for a good lather. I got a terrific lather out of it and a great shave. Part of the credit has to go to the fine soap that Speick is, but also some credit should go to the BK8 as a face lather brush. I really enjoyed it and will do it again.

YMMV, of course!

I don't recall anyone (me included) saying that they can't face lather with a BK8, just that it really shines with creams in a bowl.

Well just for that I am going to use my BK8 with the Speick shave stick item of the week and face lather with it for tomorrow's shave...

I don't recall anyone (me included) saying that they can't face lather with a BK8, just that it really shines with creams in a bowl.

I didn't say anyone said you couldn't face lather with it, just that only a few had mentioned (that I had seen) that they do it. Many more talked about bowl lathering. It's a great brush for anything.

Well I face lathered using my BK8 today.

I will still say that I enjoy my purpose built custom face lathering brushes to the BK8 but all in all it was an acceptable performance by the venerable old Kent.

proxy.php

I face lather with my BK8.
But based on the (sizing) stats/dimensions, some people seem to prejudge the brush for bowl lathering only.
The brush is a GREAT all rounder.
$KentBK8 004.jpg

Last edited:
Well I face lathered using my BK8 today.

I will still say that I enjoy my purpose built custom face lathering brushes to the BK8 but all in all it was an acceptable performance by the venerable old Kent.

proxy.php

I face lather with my BK8.
But based on the (sizing) stats/dimensions, some people seem to prejudge the brush for bowl lathering only.
The brush is a GREAT all rounder.
View attachment 340313

turtle's BK8 looks to be bulb shaped and watchiekong's fan shaped. A. Does Kent make this brush in both shapes? B. Wouldn't the fan shaped brush likely be a bit better for face lathering?

Just trying to learn here.

IIRC, Turtle's had his for a few years now and is from the previous gen. Watchiekong's is accurate for their current model.

IIRC, Turtle's had his for a few years now and is from the previous gen. Watchiekong's is accurate for their current model.

Thanks, Dustin. Which brings us back to the other point. I have never used a really bulb shaped brush. I think my brushes are fan-bulb hybrids, for the most part. It is my understanding fans (and even flat tops) are a bit better for face lathering. If that's true, it may speak to why turtle doesn't rate his BK8 as highly as some others as a face latherer.

Just a thought.

I absolutely love my BK8 for any use but especially face lather! Looks like its going to take cuts in my rotation for in the morning...

In the short time I've had my H8, it's had cream, sticks and soaps. All face lathered and bowl. I shower shave and so far no problems at all. I'm all smiles.

Yes my BK8 is the older production.

The handle is fatter where it goes in, the BK8 mark is placed at the top by the knot, and it is more of a bulb shape. That is the quickest way to tell them apart (visually).

The badger is softer in the older production brushes but you can't "see" that by looking at both.

proxy.php

Yes my BK8 is the older production.

The handle is fatter where it goes in, the BK8 mark is placed at the top by the knot, and it is more of a bulb shape. That is the quickest way to tell them apart (visually).

The badger is softer in the older production brushes but you can't "see" that by looking at both.

That's a nice looking Kent 8 Turtle. I love mine, but do like the look of the slightly wider handle on yours. New ones are curvier and more fan shaped. As soft as mine is and your's looks to have the same slightly hooked tips (more in your 1st pic), I can't imagine a softer brush.

Glad to see a few others Face Lathering with their Kent 8's, I've been doing so since I got mine and love it.

Mine is the current model (I've only had it about 2 months or so), with the thinner handle. That thicker handle looks awfully nice, though!

While I did enjoy face lathering with my BK8, it really is my best bowl lathering brush, so I'm sure I'll do more bowl lathering with it. But, I won't shy away from face lathering with it, either!!!

Top Bottom