What's new

Face Lathering for newbies?

I started face lathering when I opened my Arko stick. Now I face lather w/o thinking about it. Bowl/scuttle lathering doesn't feel as natural, the lather doesn't escape the bowl/scuttle, and I can feel what I'm doing. And early one, I found a weird scuttle at an flea market, which turned out to be a brush rest for face lathering. It's like fine china, or it was when new. Now it has some cracks. See http://www.shubs.net/pics/shaving/scuttle, antique/ for images.

I was a face latherer for the first year or so because I didn't see any benefit to a bowl. I was getting useable lather and was happy.

Now that I'm really trying to optimize my lathering I have been doing a lot of bowl lathering. I just find it easier to debug any problems when I can look down into the bowl of foam, poke around in it a little, or take it to other rooms with better light.

I started bowl lathering, but once I discovered face lathering I went exclusivly to doing it that way. To each his own; but I like how much quicker I can get a face full of lather this way.

The key to face lathering is the lathering qua lathering, not the lather itself. Last night on 3 days growth, and with poor prep (no prior shower, no extended brush soaking, no face soaking), and with lather that would brings screams of derision if I posted pics, I still got perfect BBS because the active ingredients of the cream were acting on my skin, not just laying on it

I haven't posted much here in quite some time and am still pretty much a wet-shaving newbie. But I started with face lathering and have stayed with it. I've never even tried a bowl. I have tried palm lathering once or twice, and it makes a mess, I find, but it works about the same as face lathering for me. So I skip the mess and just lather up where I want it to be anyway. Using mostly creams: C.O. Bigelow, Body Shop maca root, etc.

I started out bowl lathering and enjoyed it but have recently tried my hand a face lathering. I do enjoy face lathering more so than with a bowl, it's also a quick clean up. I now use a bowl for my three young daughters that like to shave next to me with popsicle sticks, but I build on my face. :)
I think those starting out would benefit from doing both.

I haven't posted much here in quite some time and am still pretty much a wet-shaving newbie. But I started with face lathering and have stayed with it. I've never even tried a bowl. I have tried palm lathering once or twice, and it makes a mess, I find, but it works about the same as face lathering for me. So I skip the mess and just lather up where I want it to be anyway. Using mostly creams: C.O. Bigelow, Body Shop maca root, etc.
You would appreciate sticks. Try one of these, David: Arko, La toja, Tabac, Iris Moos.

Gus

I vastly prefer face lathering. Like WA said, though the lather is not worthy of pictures, it works quite well. MWF and face lathering go hand in hand with my technique.

For me too, the difference is the fun of watching a lather build in the bowl. I like to make a thick, rich lather, and paint it on my face. I like the feel of a LOT of lather. I know it doesn't make any difference as far as the shave goes and that it "wastes" product. But it's my shave, and that's the way I like it, even if I have to spend extra time cleaning up. Yes, I get just as good of a shave with a "thinner" layer when I face lather. It's just not as satisfying to me however. If I was going for efficiency and time saving, I don't think I would have started down the DE road. I would have kept my electric, and put up with my wife telling me how rough my beard felt all the time.

I started with face lathering and never tried anything else. Started with a Simpson Ehsan brush, though, so I might be biased.

Top Bottom