What's new

F Herder "NOS" straight razors

So I noticed a bunch of nice, big Fred Herder "NOS" razors on eBay with new bone scales a couple weeks ago in the $90-150 range. I bought two. They arrive, and they're pretty nice blades. I do some googling and manage to track down the source to a knife store in Tennessee. They're selling the patina'ed old razors along with a set of inlaid bone scales and a pin to assemble them as a "DIY set" for a very low price... reviews are mostly positive. Hard to sharpen and assemble, but no one saying they're trash or not tempered or anything. (I ordered some to see if they've been picked over to the point where nothing good is left or not and will update when they get here).

But anyway, the ones I bought (from a reseller who restores them and auctions them off... similar blades from another seller are listed BIN for $90) are here and I've sharpened one up.

The Good:
Scales are on tight and being thick bone are definitely sturdy and very attractive.
Blade closes centered and lies perfectly straight on the hones.
There is no obvious grind, wear, or other issues.
They are VERY thin ground, but not wafered out the way some overly restored blades can be. I suspect the blades were patina'ed but not rusted up terribly.
They sharpen and strop up and give a decent edge according to HHT
Because of thin grind the bevel is very thin even though the razor is only ~16 degrees.
Possibly because of the grind, the razor thin bevel, or the nature of the steel, this razor was like a Bass drum for feedback, every little ridge and ripple was amplified from the stone through the razor far more than normal.

That said, this is from one example (haven't done much with the second yet) that was resold at a HIGH premium to the original cost... I ordered more direct from the source to see if they need to be picked through to get decent quality blades like this.

The Bad:
There IS some pitting that was polished out/over. If you look closely at the blade, even the naked eye can see the tiny flecks scattered around. It doesn't seem like it's on there enough to compromise the blade or require the edge ground back, but "NOS" is not exactly true. These are heavily restored blades.
Scales are thick... they feel VERY similar in dimensions to Gold Dollar scales (but aren't flimsy plastic like GD's are) which I'm not overly fond of as it makes stropping feel a little awkward.
The steel is hard... one of the hardest razor steels I've encountered. Even with the bevel as thin as it is and practically zero spine-wear, this steel took 2-3x more than an avg hollow ground razor on my DMT 8k, and after more than 5x avg time on a combination of a mystery slate, a PDSO and a Thuringian... I switched to an arkansas to finally start making noticeable progress. This may be a positive for some people, but it's definitely something to be aware of. These are (as some reviews mentioned) a bit more difficult to hone than most razors.

Also, note that there are dozens of folks reselling these (and I assume each has their own restorer), so I can't definitely say that every one up there will be assembled or polished as well as my two are, but if so... they seem a pretty good price even from the resellers... and if the ones direct from the supplier aren't too terrible, a just crazy good deal from them.

I'll report back on the shave in a day or two when I can test them. And when the unrestored razors get here, I'll post up about them and (depending on their condition) possibly post in the deals forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 147
I've heard great things about these. Really wanted to get a white 25, but it looks like those are gone.
Sellers are using stock pics of the prettiest blades with centered pins and I'm sure they don't all match the stock photo.

For those that care, they have a spacer instead of a wedge. I've read where some people are unpinning them to reshape the spacer in them.

I have the black one. Same square point and scales. It arrived sharp but not really all the way there. I am happy to have one. It did hone up to be a great shaver. It's big and nice. For less than 100 bucks it's a winner.

Yes, mine was able to shave arm hair when it got here. I still gave it a cleanup on my 1200 before going to 8k. Mine look every bit as good as the picture if you ask me, but the seller I bought from lists two at a time vs 20+ for some of the other sellers. I would say if you get a bad one @ $90, I'd just send it back for a refund. What's more interesting to me (for guys who don't mind cleaning up and pinning a razor), are the kits available direct from the source, as they're so cheap that if the razors are salvagable, it's a great deal for anyone with a little sandpaper, a hammer, and maybe 20 minutes to do the work. Like I said, my concern is that maybe the good blades are all picked over and the ones left are bent or rusty or flawed in some other way... so I'm doing a sample buy of a few. If they turn up in decent shape (and these ones shave well), I may just buy a drawer full to bang out whenever the urge to restore a new razor takes me.

I've heard great things about these. Really wanted to get a white 25, but it looks like those are gone.
Sellers are using stock pics of the prettiest blades with centered pins and I'm sure they don't all match the stock photo.

For those that care, they have a spacer instead of a wedge. I've read where some people are unpinning them to reshape the spacer in them.
Why? I think the scales are a bit too rounded and fat, but that's the nature of cheap/modern horn/bone scales... not really the spacer's fault.

Just glanced at the one I haven't honed yet under the scope. Looks like the seller is buffing these clean and then either rushing a bevel on a low grit hone and following with pasted stropping or (more likely) just going straight from the buffer to pasted strops. He's finishing on something <1 micron, but the bevel is just polished to a ridiculous degree, edge is barely sharp enough to cut. It's not far off of beveled, but it's clearly not "honed" per-say. Mine weren't sold as honed or shave ready though (some are)... they were sold as strictly "NOS" (which as I mentioned, none of these actually are).

I have what appears to be a new Herder blade but no scales. I think it was around 25$. I really want the matching ace of spades scales but can’t find any.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The one I got a 25, it was NOS - perfect. Had custom scales made for it. Although I prefer smaller blades, it is an outstanding razor. Glad I got it.

Why? I think the scales are a bit too rounded and fat, but that's the nature of cheap/modern horn/bone scales... not really the spacer's fault.
Just personal preference I guess. Some people like the slight bow a wedge creates.

The scales look nice to me. Would love to know how the spade was done.

There's a seller on eBay with restored 25's for $90. He claims they're 16/16 but they look more like 13/16" to me from the pictures and he says "they might be shorter due to honing", even though he also says they're NOS he just brought to shave ready... so there ya go. Maybe Steve can comment... how big is the 25 actually?

6A51FE2A-AA9F-49F4-B257-283F6F2F8728.jpeg
382F890F-04C2-4CC7-8866-B307F9FF3DAD.jpeg
EEF5757B-8C6F-43A9-8718-BA1B2C85FFAD.jpeg
B0FCB74B-DD90-475D-93A5-C9122BDBB8DB.jpeg
FEFF6945-F9AE-420A-A3D2-812B02108FCB.jpeg
B0FCB74B-DD90-475D-93A5-C9122BDBB8DB.jpeg
EEF5757B-8C6F-43A9-8718-BA1B2C85FFAD.jpeg
BE4C59B6-7F60-4323-A344-FBCAE284415C.jpeg
The one I got a 25, it was NOS - perfect. Had custom scales made for it. Although I prefer smaller blades, it is an outstanding razor. Glad I got it.
You were getting the #25. Unless I’m confused you got a 15/16 #49 like mine.

Those on EBay are #25 for $89.

Above is my #49 from JR. He and I worked together on the scales shape, color, pins and washers. Scales are Krinite.

Last edited:
There are also 49's on eBay for $89 now. Same seller.

How do you like the 49? Any problems with the steel? My biggest concern is I remember someone here was buying blanks from this estate a decade or so ago and had to pay someone to temper and grind them himself... so I'm worried if maybe this seller had to do the same, and if so, the quality of the temper (though the grinds look excellent at least).

There's a seller on eBay with restored 25's for $90. He claims they're 16/16 but they look more like 13/16" to me from the pictures and he says "they might be shorter due to honing", even though he also says they're NOS he just brought to shave ready... so there ya go. Maybe Steve can comment... how big is the 25 actually?
Now you have me wondering. Found an old completed listing that said 7/8"+.

I have 2 Herders a 49 and a 76. I paid less than $130 for both and they are excellent razors. My 49 will shave the wings off a fly and my 76 is awaiting a new cot to get her edge.

Unfortunately my I have really coarse hair and most razors don't seem to keep their edge for long so I'm off to find some seriously hard edges like Japanese or Swedish steel.

Top Bottom