What's new

Experiences so far with Gillette TTOs

Hi guys,

In the last few months I've had the chance to find quite a few vintage Gillette's locally at very reasonable prices, which I've consequently bought.
Although I've become quite fond of most of them (I absolutely love my New #88, spectacular shaver!), the TTO models have been the most underwhelming of them all. For some reason the common denominator on all the TTOs I've tried so far (a black handle SS, a Slim adjustable and a British Aristocrat #66) is sensation of scrappy-ness when shaving with them.
They all have a level of harshness to them which I cannot get used to or find a workaround for.
None is what I would call aggressive, it's just that general sensation of scrapping rather than clean cutting the stubble.
I have a sensitive, dry type of skin and can get irritation even after a one pass, no pressure shave, if something is out of whack (such as a poor blade-razor combination).

At first I blamed my technique, which I've tried to adapt since and feel is now adequate to get at least decent results.
Then, I looked at blades. My go to blade has always been the Astra SP, which are always smooth operators with all the other razors. Even with Astra's I can't get away with some irritation here and there when using the Slim or the #66.
The other blades I tried felt significantly scrappier and harsher (Feather, Personna Red, Gillette 7'oclock Green, Bolzano, Wilkinson and Bic Astor).

In a way, it is sort of disappointing for me not being able to get a nice, smooth shave with any of these TTOs (compared to the other 2 or 3 piece razors I have and get excellent shaves out of).
I do like those Vintage TTOs a lot and hope to finally get some genuine, proper pleasure when using them. I'd hate to keep them in a drawer as 'collectible paperweights' or something.

What suggestions do you guys have? Are there any blades out there that could make a real difference here? I'm thinking Polsilver, Voshkod or something similar.
Or, what am I missing?

Thanks

I sold all my Gillette TTOs and kept my Krona which I think is a smoother and ultimately more enjoyable tool. FWIW.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No worries. Different strokes for different folks. At least you now know what doesn't work well for you.

I've found patience to be a virtue in cases like this. I've got a couple of razors I didn't think were much good at first, but which I find really comfortable and effective now. One example is the ATT R1, and another a Gillette Aristocrat no 16. I found both a bit scratchy whenever I used them over a period of several months, so they got set aside for a while. However, something just clicked into place when I took them up again and I wouldn't contemplate parting with them, as I did at one time.

All Gillette TTO's hold the blade very rigid. You're probably not use to that. The fact that you feel the Black handle SS is scratchy, tells me you are using alot of pressure. It's the mildest of all Super speeds. Go with a shallow angle and allot less pressure.

I love my Fatboy. I agree with rabidus. I mean, some of the TTOs are out of whack from being dropped, etc., but if you give them a good visual inspection and everything is straight they should give you a good shave.

I agree with brother rabidus that too much pressure may be your problem.

TTO razors that I would recommend for you to consider would be the late 1940's Gillette Super Speed, the 1948-1951 Gillette Aristocrat, the Schick Krona, and the Gillett Flare Tip Super Speed.

All of those TTO razors shave comfortably, and feel as smooth as window glass.

Thanks for the replies guys.

@rabidus
That was my thinking at first, but pressure is not really the culprit here.
I use next to no pressure on all the razors I have (vintage or new) and get that scrapping sensation on the TTO's alone.
the black handle SS was indeed the mildest of them all and felt next to nothing when shaving with it. But it's lack of efficiency meant more passes, which lead to slight irritation here and there.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Do you moisturize? I found this was a great help to me. I get really dry in winter and my shaves suffer.

Kindly,
Adam

I've found patience to be a virtue in cases like this. I've got a couple of razors I didn't think were much good at first, but which I find really comfortable and effective now. I found both a bit scratchy whenever I used them over a period of several months, so they got set aside for a while. However, something just clicked into place when I took them up again and I wouldn't contemplate parting with them, as I did at one time.

Set them aside and try again in a few months. You never know.

My 1948-50 Aristocrat is my current favorite. I find that with any Gillette TTO the technique that works the best is what I call "riding the cap". Never scratchy.

One other thing to maybe try is something I believe I saw in an old Gillette ad that someone posted one time - the Gillette Slide. Basically, instead of pulling your razor straight down in the direction of the handle, you're pulling in a more diagonal direction. That way, the blade is moving at an angle in more of a slicing motion. It's not a drastic diagonal, just enough to start the blade slicing the whiskers, instead of chopping through them.

I have a Slim, Fatboy, Milord (gold Super Speed), Flare Tip Rocket and a 47-50 Aristocrat (I believe that is the right date ranged). I get a good shave from the Fatboy with a GSB can definitely feel the blade. The Aristocrat is pretty good but I haven't found anything special with the Milord or Rocket. I have since opened my horizons and shave with a New short comb and a ball end Canadian Old Type. These are amazing razors and make me realize that I might just be more of an open comb kind of guy.

I've yet to shave with the Slim.

Hello, my first DE razor was a Wilkinson (modern 2 pieces, black plastic) and shortly after i moved on a Gillette slim adjustable gold plated. Meanwhile I've been using an old type open comb and an Edwin Jagger. With all of them i have to use a different angle.
My advise is to keep them all, and practice your shaving angles. To me it worked fine to use a more sharpened blade with a less aggressive shaver, or in the slim adjustable, adjust it on a less "aggressive" position.
It also made an enormous impact the use of a pre shave like proraso white.
Hope you find your best combination for a comfortable shave experience.
Best regards

Thanks for the replies guys.

@rabidus
That was my thinking at first, but pressure is not really the culprit here.
I use next to no pressure on all the razors I have (vintage or new) and get that scrapping sensation on the TTO's alone.
the black handle SS was indeed the mildest of them all and felt next to nothing when shaving with it. But it's lack of efficiency meant more passes, which lead to slight irritation here and there.

That's my experience with the black handle SS minus the irritation. I can go over areas many times with no fear of irritation. I only lather twice and shave in three different directions. TTO's perform best for me ATG, very smooth.

Do you have coarse, dense stubble?

Sounds like you're not use to the rigid blade edge of a TTO.

I have a Slim, Fatboy, Milord (gold Super Speed), Flare Tip Rocket and a 47-50 Aristocrat (I believe that is the right date ranged). I get a good shave from the Fatboy with a GSB can definitely feel the blade. The Aristocrat is pretty good but I haven't found anything special with the Milord or Rocket. I have since opened my horizons and shave with a New short comb and a ball end Canadian Old Type. These are amazing razors and make me realize that I might just be more of an open comb kind of guy.

I've yet to shave with the Slim.

The US SB Aristocrats years are: 40/46/47, 48-50 and 51.

If you have a fixed number of strokes/passes, the SB TTO don't compare to the NEW SC or Old type, you have to put in a little more work with the TTO's to achieve the same results. With the exception of the adjustable. The slim on level 9 is more efficient than my SC or old type.

With good prep, lather, and technique, the SB TTO's are easier on my skin. A BBS shave from my SC last longer than a BBS shave from my non adjustable TTO's.

For the last two weeks I have been shaving with four different Super Speeds, 49-53-57 58. I found three to be mild and my 57 Red Tip aggressive and a fantastic shave, but I've been wet shaving with DE razors for over 50 years. Could very well be the big two: angle and pressure. Seems every razor has it's own characteristics.

I've really enjoyed my two TTO's, 1970 SS and 1975 SA109. I've been using the SA109 since Jan 1st but I could live with either if I had to choose only one.

-Stephen

All Gillette TTO's hold the blade very rigid. You're probably not use to that. The fact that you feel the Black handle SS is scratchy, tells me you are using alot of pressure. It's the mildest of all Super speeds. Go with a shallow angle and allot less pressure.

It's mild, but not the mildest. Blue Tip is significantly milder. 40s style Super Speed is more efficient but definitely smoother.

Cap just finished with one of mine. A birth quarter (N4).

IMG_7294.JPG
IMG_7294.JPG
IMG_7295.JPG
IMG_7296.JPG
IMG_7294.JPG
IMG_7295.JPG
IMG_7296.JPG
IMG_7297.JPG
IMG_7294.JPG
IMG_7295.JPG
IMG_7296.JPG
IMG_7297.JPG
IMG_7298.JPG
IMG_7299.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7300.JPG
    IMG_7300.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
When I first got my fatboy I had that scraping sensation and razor burn. I found I have to have the handle higher and ride the top cap for an efficient smooth shaves. My fatboy is a favourite in my den now.

that's my travel razor, inexpensive enough to not worry about it being lost and effective enough to provide me a close, comfortable shave.

Top Bottom