What's new

Experiences so far with Gillette TTOs

I've been using a Slim (M-3) for the month and I have to say I'm not too happy with it. I get a great shave if I can find and maintain the angle but it's more troublesome and time consuming than it's worth. It just doesn't feel as natural of a position as with my EJ either.

I've been using a Slim (M-3) for the month and I have to say I'm not too happy with it. I get a great shave if I can find and maintain the angle but it's more troublesome and time consuming than it's worth. It just doesn't feel as natural of a position as with my EJ either.

The lower settings on the Slim are more hit or miss, either your cutting or the blade is not doing anything at all. Around 3 should be EJ territory. The higher settings, you miss you pay... More angles to play with!

Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciated!

All the advice did not go unnoticed and applied some of your suggestions in this morning's shave (different angles and the Gillette slide).
I can safely say this was the most comfortable TTO shave I got to date. It's still not quite EJ, Merkur or Gillette New level, but a lot more acceptable.
I used the Slim on setting 5 loaded with an Astra SP blade (2nd shave), 2 passes + touch-ups.
This was also the longest shave I've had in a while and really took my time with it, trying to identify what works, what doesn't and paid close attention to the feedback I got from the razor and my skin.

My conclusions from today's shave:
1. There's definitely room for improvement and experimentation in terms of technique and blade choice, better said - adapting to the razor (angle, setting, blade choice, etc). So far, I feel I took a step in the right direction, just hope there are enough steps in there to reach the actual destination - a comfortable and consistent shave everytime I reach out to a TTO in the morning (I shave daily).

2. I mentioned a few times the scraping sensation I get from TTOs. Today I had a sort of realization which may explain a bit better what I feel on my skin.
For me, TTOs feel like I have a used and less sharp blade loaded in the razor compared to an EJ/Merkur/Gillette New.
For example - using a brand new Astra SP on EJ and a TTO translates into something like this: on the EJ I get the customary Astra SP smoothness and shaprmess, while in the TTO I feel like I loaded a Wilkinson/Personna Red instead (less smooth and less sharp). Hopefully that makes sense.

On a different note, as some of you mentioned here (and kept seeing on other similar BB threads), quite a few people get a similar experience from the 50's-60's and up TTOs (the 'scraping sensation') and get more comfortable shaves from the earlier, 40's models, TTOs.
As the latter as not as easy (or cheap) for me to get a hold of, I'd like to ask for your guys' feedback first before spending more dough.

Thanks

It's interesting to hear everyone's perspective.

My experience with Gillette TTO (I have a Slim, a black tip SS and a flair tip SS) is they are smooth shavers.

That said, I think the best advice is to experiment and maybe put them aside and come back to them again if things don't improve. Sometimes first impressions are inaccurate and it takes time to master a razor.

Just sayin'.

It's interesting to hear everyone's perspective.

My experience with Gillette TTO (I have a Slim, a black tip SS and a flair tip SS) is they are smooth shavers.

That said, I think the best advice is to experiment and maybe put them aside and come back to them again if things don't improve. Sometimes first impressions are inaccurate and it takes time to master a razor.

Just sayin'.

I have a Slim, a Fatboy, a NDC SS, a Black Handled Super Speed and a Red Tip. They all shave smoothly for me.

2. I mentioned a few times the scraping sensation I get from TTOs. Today I had a sort of realization which may explain a bit better what I feel on my skin.
For me, TTOs feel like I have a used and less sharp blade loaded in the razor compared to an EJ/Merkur/Gillette New.
For example - using a brand new Astra SP on EJ and a TTO translates into something like this: on the EJ I get the customary Astra SP smoothness and shaprmess, while in the TTO I feel like I loaded a Wilkinson/Personna Red instead (less smooth and less sharp). Hopefully that makes sense.

Long story short...Rigidity...

If the EJ struggles to cut stubble, the blade will bend, flex and chatter, and release stubble rather than slice through it possibly causing a weeper as the blade springs back straight.

The rigid blade edge of a TTO attempt to slice through each and every stubble and will not give in. If you speed up your stroke, you should slice through them like butter. Think guillotine! You don't have to be extremely swift, just swift enough to not feel scratchy.

Light touch, swift stroke...

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
My Red Tip is far and away my favorite razor, and I've used quite a few. Smooth and efficient. I used to have a 65 Flairtip that I didn't much care for. I found it on the harsh side, like the OP noted. It gave me irritation whenever I shaved with it. I was never sure if it was a little bent somewhere or if my face just wasn't cut out for it.

My Red Tip is far and away my favorite razor, and I've used quite a few. Smooth and efficient. I used to have a 65 Flairtip that I didn't much care for. I found it on the harsh side, like the OP noted. It gave me irritation whenever I shaved with it. I was never sure if it was a little bent somewhere or if my face just wasn't cut out for it.

My Red Tip is one of my favorite razors too. The NDC and the Red Tip are my favorite TTOs.

My experience has been much the same as Bob's. I also noticed the slight scraping / harshness. I definitely prefer the Gillette 3 piece razors to the TTOs. But I have taken note of the advice here and will have to give them another try with my technique adjusted.

I think experimenting with blades is wise. I think you'll find a few brands that will work in any razor you own. I like GSBs, Polsilvers. Permasharps are great too, but inconsistent. Astra SP's, I found inconsistent to a greater degree. I think pairing blades and razors makes some sense. Sharp blades work in mild razors, for example. But it seems easier to keep to a few brands. I have dry skin too and what I discovered recently was using an Aftershave milk like Trumper's Skinfood right before I apply lather to my face. It got rid of that scraping feeling.

Last edited:
my slim gave horrid shaves until i saw the safety bar was bent, so i sent it out to capt murphy and when i got it back, best shaver i have now,

5 weeks later ...
Have to say, I'm a believer now. After much testing, experimenting and fiddling I've gotten some of the best shaves to date from both the Slim and the Aristocrat 66.
That being said, none of it would have been possible without your guys' input and the wealth of info on B&B.

Rewind a month ... Upon close inspection I've found that both razors had some issues blade alignment and bent/slanted safety bars. The imperfections weren't great (managed to fool my eyes in the first months of use), but significant shaving wise..
I managed to reset the bars with some pliers to what seemed to me a good alignment and that was that. The difference that made in the shave was great and enjoyed it ever since.

Fast forward a few weeks ... the Slim became a clear favorite and gave me some excellent shaves on 9. Setting 8 or 9 seem to hit the sweetspot for me as I can get as close as I need with only 2 passes and minor touch ups around the jaw line.

And that brings me to now ... as the Gillette TTO experience has tremendously changed for me, I'm even more determined now to try some models I've been eyeing out but was too reluctant to push the trigger due to the past experiences.
As a general rule of thumb, I'm most interested in the more aggressive/efficient Gillette straight bar TTOs.
First on the buying list would be a 40's era Aristocrat, a 46-47 or a 48-50. Which of the 2 would you guys recommend?

Next one up, a 40's style Superspeed. This is where I'm at a loss. There are quite a few US and British models that fit this category. From NDC US made Superspeeds to British Rockets (HD 500s and so on). Which one of those would you recommend for someone enjoying a more aggressive/efficient shaver?

Many thanks,
Bob

48-50 Aristocrat is my favorite. The 46/47 has the same feel and efficiency with less blade gap. The 48-50 is probably better for multiple days growth. Can't go wrong with either.

My Red Tip is one of my favorite razors too. The NDC and the Red Tip are my favorite TTOs.

+1

My Red Tip gives me the most consistent close shaves with little irritation. The Flair tip, 40's style, Black handle, Slim, Super adjustable and Fatboy have all worked just about as well. I've found them all to be easy razors to shave with.

Give Kai's a try. The blade being stiffer, and a hair wider seems to improve the shaves I get from the vintage TTO's. Just enough difference to go from ho-hum to "Oh yea!"

Mark

Give a Krona a try ;) Just a tiny bit more aggressive than a Superspeed, but the door design makes finding the correct angle so easy.

A new update...
A 46-47 Aristocrat is on it's way to me as we speak. Hopefully it won't take too long to get here.
Very much looking forward to the shaves with it.

In the mean time I got a few packs of Kay blades to try.
I'm still on the first blade from the pack (done 7 shaves on it already and still no sign of tugging) and it's been nothing but goodness so far. If the rest are as good as this one, Kai will probably become my go to blade. Impressive blade!

More on the TTO front: as time goes by, I'm becoming more enamored with this style of razor.
To my surprise, the Slim has morphed into the razor I hoped it to be when I bought it and lots, lots more. Out of the dozen, or so, razors I have with me now (new or vintage) this one has become my best shaver and the one I reach out for the most. Still enjoying the higher settings on it the most.
Quite a change from when I started this thread and a good one at that:)

@Jaquers
I've been looking at a Krona lately (sold for ~15$ in a local ad) and also done a bit a research on it here as well.
The Krona I've found is a 60's model I believe (w/ a metal knob) and seems to be the more aggressive/efficient of the lot, which I like. From what I've read, Krona would be comparable to a mid-range Superspeed as far as aggressiveness goes (say between a regular Flaretip and a Red tip/40's style/Rocket HD).
At the same time I'm looking at some 40's style Superspeeds and some Rocket HDs.
How is does the Krona compare to those in terms of efficiency?

Thanks,
Bob

You are going to absolutely love the Aristocrat you have coming. So far, I have about 25 razors, and my '46/'47 Aristocrat is the best shaving razor. It has never let me down.

Top Bottom