What's new

Experiences so far with Gillette TTOs

The Krona is just a bit more aggressive / efficient that a Superspeed. A nice everyday razor. Where it has the edge is that I find it much easier to use - the design of the doors makes finding the correct angle easy.

For me the Red Tip and Rocket HD are close to each other and a bit more aggressive than the Krona.

New update...
The long awaited Aristocrat 1946-47 arrived yesterday. Very happy to see it looks even better in person than the pictures lead on. No plate loss anywhere, no marks and an ultra smooth TTO mechanism to boot.
Done a couple of shaves with it so far.
First shave was with a brand new Astra SP and the 2nd one with a Kai blade (on 4th use).
Impressions ... for whatever reason I expected this razor to be on the aggressive side, but found it to be rather mild. Was impressed however with it's smoothness and efficiency, especially when paired with the Kai blade.
Compared to the other TTOs I have, I find this a bit more tricky in getting and keeping the perfect angle, but I'm sure that will change with more practice.

As a side note, I've had difficulties loading the Kai blade in the razor as it was rubbing against the 2 tabs from the ends of the central bar. I had to file the side grooves of the blade a little for it to seat properly inside the head.
Not sure if this is normal or atypical for this combo. Anyone else experienced this with the Kai's on 46-47 Aristocrats?

My 1948-50 Aristocrat is my current favorite. I find that with any Gillette TTO the technique that works the best is what I call "riding the cap". Never scratchy.

I tried the 'ride the cap' technique with my 60's flare tip SS - not good at all for me. One of the members here suggested that the 60's SS require a steeper angle. Tried it and ended up with a great shave day after day that I used it. No pressure of course.

As a side note, I've had difficulties loading the Kai blade in the razor as it was rubbing against the 2 tabs from the ends of the central bar. I had to file the side grooves of the blade a little for it to seat properly inside the head.
Not sure if this is normal or atypical for this combo. Anyone else experienced this with the Kai's on 46-47 Aristocrats?

I gave my 46/47 to a friend but I have a 48-50 that has the same blade alignment bar. The Astra SS just fall right in no problem, but the Kai does not drop right in. I simply held the blade by the tabs and wiggled it a little and it fit perfectly, no modifications necessary.

The 48-50 Aristocrat is my favorite.

IMAG0172_1.jpg

Last edited:
I have never used a 60's Flare Tip so my extrapolation may not be correct. I just rode the cap on my 1957 Red Tip and it was perfect. Thanks for posting your experience.
I tried the 'ride the cap' technique with my 60's flare tip SS - not good at all for me. One of the members here suggested that the 60's SS require a steeper angle. Tried it and ended up with a great shave day after day that I used it. No pressure of course.

I have a Gillette Super Speed from 1957 which belonged to my late father. I finally got around to using it just a week or so ago and WOW! A fantastic smooth shave! Love it!

I also picked up a Gillette n H2 Slim from a B&B member (and another one on the way), and a Gillette Red Cross Tech. I haven't used the Tech just yet. It's cleaned and sanitized and ready to go.:) Maybe tomorrow?:)

I have a Gillette Super Speed from 1957 which belonged to my late father. I finally got around to using it just a week or so ago and WOW! A fantastic smooth shave! Love it!

I also picked up a Gillette n H2 Slim from a B&B member (and another one on the way), and a Gillette Red Cross Tech. I haven't used the Tech just yet. It's cleaned and sanitized and ready to go.:) Maybe tomorrow?:)

Excellent. Those are classic razors that served several generations of shavers and still deliver to this very day.

:thumbsup:

I am a newbie with about 3-4 months into this adventure. My first shave was with a Black Beauty 109. Horrible shave. Tried a friends Slim and had the same results. I used only 3 piece razors for over a month. My RAD kicked in and I bought a birth year Fatboy. Same results-horrible. I was bound and determined to get a good shave out of my Fatboy. I spent hours watching You Tube videos of people shaving with TTO's. Armed with head knowledge I attempted to shave with my Fatboy. 1st shave not so bad. 2nd shave so-so. 3rd shave I had it dialed in and it was great! I can now consistently get a good shave. I am only on setting 5 at the moment. Some of the talk of cranking it up to 9 has me apprehensive. I will eventually get there (maybe).

I am a newbie with about 3-4 months into this adventure. My first shave was with a Black Beauty 109. Horrible shave. Tried a friends Slim and had the same results. I used only 3 piece razors for over a month. My RAD kicked in and I bought a birth year Fatboy. Same results-horrible. I was bound and determined to get a good shave out of my Fatboy. I spent hours watching You Tube videos of people shaving with TTO's. Armed with head knowledge I attempted to shave with my Fatboy. 1st shave not so bad. 2nd shave so-so. 3rd shave I had it dialed in and it was great! I can now consistently get a good shave. I am only on setting 5 at the moment. Some of the talk of cranking it up to 9 has me apprehensive. I will eventually get there (maybe).

If 5 works, stick with it. No points awarded for going higher, and potential for irritation may increase. Find what works for you. And yes, try 9 for curiosity's sake. It may be the cats meow!

Just as an update, I pulled out my 1952 Red Cross Gillette Tech and had a shave with it this morning.:) WOW!:) Smooth and close...and very deceptive. That first pass didn't feel like I was taking own any stubble. But a rinse and pass with my hand told me different. A VERY good first pass! A TERRIFIC three-pass shave!

1st shave not so bad. 2nd shave so-so. 3rd shave I had it dialed in and it was great! I can now consistently get a good shave. I am only on setting 5 at the moment. Some of the talk of cranking it up to 9 has me apprehensive. I will eventually get there (maybe).

Try using the increase shaving method. Start at say, 4, for the first pass. tThen dial up to 4.5 for the second, then 5 for the third pass.

This the way I shave with all my adjustables and I get a terrific shave! The key though, I think, is picking a starting point that isn't overly aggressive. For example, the other day, I used this method with my Merkur Futur and started on level 4 for the first pass, I moved up to 4.5 for the second pass and found that it was a bit to aggressive. I finished my third pass at level 2.

With the Futur, I usually start at level 2 and move up half steps and get a VERY close shave. This last time, I think I jumped in the deep end too soon.:)

Top Bottom