What's new

Expensive brushes - yes or no? Poll.

Would you consider spending 300$ on a shaving brush?

• Yes

Votes: 72 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 259 78.2%

• Total voters
Which Simpsons do you own that are outperformed by $16 synths and what are the synths?
Berkeley and KH2 both in best.
My best performing synthetics are...
22mm SynBad from AP shave Co
24mm 2bed fan from AP shave Co
Timberwolf fan from TurnNshave 24 or 25mm I don't remember

Fortunately I've never been truly tested regarding brush acquisitions due to my love for Omega boar brushes and good synthetics. I did "splurge" £65 on a monster badger from Executive Shaving when they were clearing out their badger stock but it was a huge disappointment despite being a beautiful brush.

The most expensive brush I have tried was a $75 second hand Shavemac D01 that cost around double that new.

Was it the nicest, softest brush I've ever used? Yep.

Was it worth that much to me?

Well I just sold it on eBay.

Mostly for me though it came down to I don't like that super soft feel - I like the scritch of a 2-band or mixed brush.

Definitely a luxurious brush but I can find brushes I enjoy MORE personally for WAY less.

If I really enjoyed the fluffy feeling I wouldn't hesitate to spend $100 or so on a brush but I have many in my collection ranging from a $15 Omega to a brush I reknotted with a SF silvertip that I like for $50.

I guess I'm one of those odd birds who's just as happy (if not more so) with a $7 Omega boar brush as I am with a Semogue silvertip badger brush that retails for $80. I obtained the Semogue by means of a fluke; I ordered a 610 but the package was mislabeled. I would not have paid full retail for it if I knew what I was getting, and $80 is a bit past the upper limit of what I personally consider "reasonable."

Probably these Paladins are the most spendy of the lot. Indeed, I have a number of brushes which cost FAR less that work just as well or even better. Gotta say those handles steal the show though😉
CE6A057D-5F7E-4BA5-8462-AFDBC2BDA821.JPG

I've had over 20 brushes at 1/2 that price. I can't imagine finding a better brush than my 2-band Thaters and my Rudy 2-band shavemac. If my name was Biden or Trump, I might be able to spend that much, but I doubt I'd get a better brush than I already have.

I don’t set a price limit on shaving kit mainly because I’m interested to try higher end items from time to time and some are relatively expensive. Also there is a good market for Wiborgs, Varlets and other hard to get brushes so it’s pretty low risk since they sell easily if they don’t fit well. There is very little correlation between brush price and performance once you reach about $50 and up. There can be real improvements but they are generally small. In my view there are rubbish knots in some brushes that cost close to $500 and some great knots in some brushes that cost $50. Brushes are probably the area most likely to disappoint. My Wolfman razors have always exceeded my expectations even with all the hype that they get on forums. Same for some rather expensive boutique soaps and frags - generally good but still rather overpriced sometimes.

The most I have spent was about $150. A few times and that was for killer Simpson brushes.

would I spend $300? Doubtful but if the right coloured Simpsons Chubby 2 Manchurian or Silvertip came up, I might consider it. Only if I got a big bonus, tax return, etc. But that would be a one of.
So 6 months after posting in this thread initially, I DID spend just over $300 for a brush. It was a Chubby 2 Silvertip with a great emerald green handle. And I bought it with a big bonus from work.

I don’t think I would spend $300US on another brush though. I love my CH2 and have zero buyers remorse, but there are so many other great brushes in the $50-150 range available (and less if you like synths).

I have generally limited myself to around $100, and at this point I doubt I'll ever go higher than that. With only one exception, a Duke 2 Best Badger that I used for many years, all of the brushes I've owned from "premium" brush makers have been a disappointment. That includes several Simpsons brushes and most recently a Shavemac 2 band silvertip. It may be that I just prefer the qualities of less expensive brushes. (My wife is that way with wine; her favorites are always inexpensive reds.) My Yaqi and Maggard 2 band badger brushes and my Semogue Mistura have so far outperformed their more expensive cousins from Simpsons and Shavemac.

And then, of course, there are the synthetics ...

linty1

My wallet cries.
Haven't spent $300 on a brush yet, I think the most I've spent is... whatever my Kent bk4 (badger version) cost, and that was many years ago. My simpsons have been purchased either used, or at a huge discount... oh the Thater my wife got me for xmas when we were first dating.. that was a pricey one, but technically she bought it, not me. Otherwise the Kent. I do love my brushes however.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I don't think you have to spend $300 if you want to get a nice shave brush. I have over 20 brushes mostly synthetic, 4 badger brushes & 2 boar brushes.
I enjoy them all and mostly use synthetic brushes of all different knot types, for badger I like the 24mm 2band badger or (finest badger) and a well broke in 24mm boar brush is one nice brush IMO.
Not that long ago to buy a top of the line Badger brush was $200> and fellows had no problem plunking down money for them because there was nothing around that came close for face feel. Synthetic brushes changed all this about 4 yrs ago and know its a golden era for shavers for quality at good prices for everything it seems (just bargain hunt if you do not want to spend big money like by gone days)
If you are happy with the gear you have already that is all that matters!

Top Bottom