What's new

Expensive brushes - yes or no? Poll.

Would you consider spending 300$ on a shaving brush?

• Yes

Votes: 72 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 259 78.2%

• Total voters
After experimenting with Simpsons and being disappointed with Chubby 2s, I’ve purchased two Thater 2-band Silvertip bulb knots in different sizes. These are both very high quality and give a nice soft, but firm lather experience. Neither has yet to shed a hair. Expensive; yes but I don’t regret the. All my other Simpsons brushes were fine, but the Three Chubby 2 brushes I tried were shedders that I couldn’t even sell. And Superior Shave will never get another dime from me.

It's been awhile since I've been actively in the market looking for new things, but I don't recall ever considering anything that expensive. Perhaps it was my preference for smaller knot brushes that kept the range lower, but I was always quite content with the quality I'd find in Simpson's super or there two band.

yes

For me, shaving is more than just shaving.

It's a process of enjoyment.

I enjoy the brush being covered with shaving soap and then sliding on my face.

I enjoy shaving my beard off my face with a razor.

It's important to me.

So why not spend $300 on an expensive shaving brush?

As long as it can bring me more happiness!

At the end of the year before last, I bought two expensive shaving brushes,

14 × Plisson HMW and Simpson Manchurian chubby2

These two shaving brushes refresh my understanding of shaving brushes!

They make me feel more happy in the process of shaving!

I'm very surprised and happy to have them!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I vote NO on brushes, but YES on razors. To me the brush just puts the lather on the face, and doesn’t really have too much effect on the overall shave result. It has a wee bit, but not nearly as much as all the other parts of my shave... razor, blade, lather... even the aftershave will have more impact. And frankly, for me, a $15 synth does as good of a job as the few more expensive brushes I do own. So I can’t imagine that a $300 brush will offer much improvement in shave result. While I can appreciate the beauty of a finely crafted brush with exotic hairs, truthfully they just don’t float my boat the way an exotic razor does. And therefore I would buy a $300 razor, but not a $300 brush. As someone that owns too many expensive razors, I fully respect those that do spend endless money on brushes. I totally get it. It’s just not for me. I know I may have answered this thread before, but I have updated thoughts on the subject. Cheers!

I have one of those dirt cheap, large synths from maggards. Stupid good brush. Nothing i have found tops my broken in semogue 620 though. Like 20 bucks. I have a do1 2band which is a lovely brush but probably still too stiff!

I've spent on 3 Simpson brushes.
My finest and most luxurious is anything with the Amazon.Com 24mm white Manchurin badger knot. $35 shipped, put it in your handle if choice. Rejoice!
20210115_225841.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Considered past tense. I think at the start of my journey I did and did purchase something close to or maybe approaching that range (repressing the memory) but nowadays nope. Wouldn’t even consider it given that that price range,or I’d say $150+ is probably badger territory and I’m pretty much exclusively into synthetic now.

The most I have spent was about $150. A few times and that was for killer Simpson brushes.

would I spend $300? Doubtful but if the right coloured Simpsons Chubby 2 Manchurian or Silvertip came up, I might consider it. Only if I got a big bonus, tax return, etc. But that would be a one of.

Back in 2016, we stayed in an Airbnb in Montmartre. Fifth floor walkup in a 14th century building.

Our host was a man in his younger 30's who seemed devoid of material possessions in his little apartment. Broken down furniture, cheap cooking utensils, I mean college dorm sort of stuff.

But he had this gorgeous decorative shaving brush in the bathroom. It was about only nice thing he seemed to own. He told me he paid E200 for it.

So, that must go to show something. Not sure what, but it must go to show something.

Wow
Is that a rubberset reproduction in the center?

Yes, got a couple Rubberset 400's. If your referring to the knot not on the handle (that's fun), it's the original no-number ferrule and boar bristle.
It comes off of the handle to the right topped with my favorite knot.

The handle on the right has a reproduction ferrule I got from a member on another board.
I don't like to remove the original boar knot if it's in good shape. New knot, repro ferrule, OE handle and save the OE ferrule and knot.

The knot I chose was from amazon and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. It's an odd item for amazon, only had 7 reviews, but they sold me for $35.
Here's the link to the knot: https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Whi...ywords=24mm+badger+knot&qid=1612026176&sr=8-2

Happy shaving!

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yes, got a couple Rubberset 400's. If your referring to the knot not on the handle (that's fun), it's the original no-number ferrule and boar bristle.
It comes off of the handle to the right topped with my favorite knot.

The handle on the right has a reproduction ferrule I got from a member on another board.
I don't like to remove the original boar knot if it's in good shape. New knot, repro ferrule, OE handle and save the OE ferrule and knot.

The knot I chose was from amazon and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. It's an odd item for amazon, only had 7 reviews, but they sold me for $35.
Here's the link to the knot: https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Whi...ywords=24mm+badger+knot&qid=1612026176&sr=8-2

Happy shaving!
Thanks. That knot looks familiar. I bought a restored 400 with a similar if not the exact knot. It is so nice and soft. You’ve got some great brushes there! And you I was looking at the one on the right the ferrule does look different so I wondered if the handle was a reproduction.

Thanks. That knot looks familiar. I bought a restored 400 with a similar if not the exact knot. It is so nice and soft. You’ve got some great brushes there! And you I was looking at the one on the right the ferrule does look different so I wondered if the handle was a reproduction.

Thanks. I love my Colonel Konk brushes as well. Soft on a budget, and very nice resin handles.

Top Bottom