What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

A few days ago, I resumed my run with my Nacet. I'll likely not stop till I hit 150, if it lets me.

Today's shave was number 135.

This time, I tried a 4-pass, with almost no buffing. I liked the comfort.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

SOTD:
A great shave today! I forgot how much i love the fatip and how great that thing shaves! The arko is absolutely fantastic. I'll definitely need to get one of those shave stick tubes for arko fro traveling, but at this point its one of the soaps i use the most, such great value for money and the stick lasts so long!

Razor: fatip piccolo
Blade: feather hi-stainless (19)
Soap: arko shave stick
Aftershave: aqueous and tea tree oil mix with brut by faberge applied afterwards.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

I've only been DE shaving since Nov last year I've only had 2 blades that lasted a month. A super Nacet that lasted 30 days in an English Tech and a Feather in a English Tech too.

My current setup is a Nacet ss in a NSC for 19 days so far. The Nacet ss doesn't feel quite as sharp or smooth as the feather or super Nacet at day 19 but it's still serviceable. I may toss it soon but let's see how long longer it'll go.

Cheers,

Mawashi
Feather's have been great blades for me longevity wise.

SOTD:
A great shave today with the Fatip and uncle Jon's pipe smoke, an absolutely fantastic soap! It lathers so readily after 20 seconds of loading that afterwards i added the left over lather back to the container. 20th shave with the feather, definitely an absolutely fantastic blade. Definitely my favourite blade so far, but i dont think I'll be buying more unless i can find a really good deal online, then its definitely worth it!

Razor: Fatip piccolo
Blade: feather hi-stainless (20)
Soap: Uncle Jon's pipe smoke
Brush: dischem synthetic
Aftershave: old spice whitewater.

I just retired a Personna Blue after 30 shaves. Not much of a milestone for this club. It wasn't really finished and theoretically I could continue on with it since it's still in the razor. Its actually quite amazing to me how good the shaves were through its 20's. Sometimes you can get into a groove where the shaves are silly close and the blade doesn't seem to age. The last two shaves were a little off, but that wasn't the blades fault.

So why am I moving on? I wanted to try a fresh challenge. I've been experimenting with this steep angle technique and want to give it a go with a fresh blade. Actually shave one on a fresh Personna Blue was less close than I was getting with the old one. We'll see how it turns out long term. Most variation in shave quality has nothing to do with the blade.

Thirty-four shaves on the blade I rode through the One-Blade-in-February challenge, an Astra Superior Stainless. Two passes in a Merkur Futur set to 2 for CCS. Wonder if this is the blade I will break the 40-shave barrier with.

Shave 45 today on a Treet Classic.

I last posted at shave 32. Still no deterioration of shave quality. Still no rust on blade edge. The rare anomaly in shave quality appears to have been caused by subpar prep (e.g., due to a new brush in the lineup).

As mentioned before, this isn’t a one-off experiment. The 45 shave figure is had by dividing 90 shaves by two blades, which I rotate. The blades have lately seen the Fatip (w/YAQI DOC topcap (18.5mm)) more than the Pearl open comb.

I'm gonna take a week off from the Treets. I yearn for the luxury of loading a different blade (it really does at this point feel like a luxury).

This is my second Excalibur Club post. Thanks again club members for inspiration. Just a short time ago I would have thought this crazy.

Okay... I'm up for a secondary challenge @Cal

I'm 4 shaves into a "Century of Shaves" with my Muhle R41 (inspired by an IAMCDB video).
I just ditched the Astra SP blade that I used for the first 4 shaves, and I want to see if I can take this next one to 10 shaves. Whilst this is not a large number for most, it is twice as far as I have ever taken a DE blade (I have taken a Personna Injector blade to 7).
I'll post updates as and when I can!

Thanks for having me aboard!

James

I just ditched the Astra SP blade that I used for the first 4 shaves, and I want to see if I can take this next one to 10 shaves.
:hand: Don't set numbers James.

As per the OP:
Entrance Criteria: No hard criteria, but to qualify for putting "Excalibur" in your signature, you should make an concerted effort to see how many great shaves you can get on a blade. Don't assume a blade is bad just because you have a bit of irritation. Push through those issues - they are usually you, not the blade. Pitch the blade when you have repeatable problems - tugging, etc. Repeat this process for several blades at least before determining how many shaves are "your number". Keep evaluating the max number as your technique improves. Often as your prep and technique improves, your number of shaves per blade will increase!

:hand: Don't set numbers James.

As per the OP:
Entrance Criteria: No hard criteria, but to qualify for putting "Excalibur" in your signature, you should make an concerted effort to see how many great shaves you can get on a blade. Don't assume a blade is bad just because you have a bit of irritation. Push through those issues - they are usually you, not the blade. Pitch the blade when you have repeatable problems - tugging, etc. Repeat this process for several blades at least before determining how many shaves are "your number". Keep evaluating the max number as your technique improves. Often as your prep and technique improves, your number of shaves per blade will increase!
I'll bear all of that in mind! Thanks @Cal

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

@jtface, Pushing through issues is sometimes a good thing. I'm finding that my best shaves are when a blade has more than 6-7 shaves on it. After that it's smooth sailing for a while. Going too far is not fun either. Like @Cal quotes from the OP, find your number.

Hit 145 today!

Razor
: Gillette - Sheraton 1938
Blade: Gillette - Nacet (145)
Lather: Stubble Buster - Daybreak
Brush: Zenith - B10 Red Boar (13 uses)

Messed up schedule today. Shaving at an odd time. Trying out Daybreak again to see if it is to lowly-scented for me. It is. And now we're just 5 away from 150 on the blade!

blade and razor cutting well, just a little bit tuggy on the first pass. But still excellent close shave, though it requires buffing, or extra pass.

Hit 145 today!

Razor
: Gillette - Sheraton 1938
Blade: Gillette - Nacet (145)
Lather: Stubble Buster - Daybreak
Brush: Zenith - B10 Red Boar (13 uses)

Messed up schedule today. Shaving at an odd time. Trying out Daybreak again to see if it is to lowly-scented for me. It is. And now we're just 5 away from 150 on the blade!

blade and razor cutting well, just a little bit tuggy on the first pass. But still excellent close shave, though it requires buffing, or extra pass.

Amazing! What's the highest number seen on this thread/forum?

Phenomenal progress @MerkurMan55!

Many thanks, Saxonbowman. Your noticing my progress is much appreciated.

I spent my Treet-free week with a Kai. Now I'm back at the Treet Classics.

The transition back to the Treet is worth mentioning. I'm so happy with this blade. Even at shave 46, the Treet feels better on my face than the Kai at shave 6. That is, I welcomed the transition back. I'm as surprised as anybody. I don't know what feature of the blade is causing this. Could it be blade flexibility? Perhaps. I can say that the feedback sound of the Treet is significantly louder than for the Kai. I don't know what to make of that, but it might indicate something.

Please feel free to speculate.

Many thanks, Saxonbowman. Your noticing my progress is much appreciated.

I spent my Treet-free week with a Kai. Now I'm back at the Treet Classics.

The transition back to the Treet is worth mentioning. I'm so happy with this blade. Even at shave 46, the Treet feels better on my face than the Kai at shave 6. That is, I welcomed the transition back. I'm as surprised as anybody. I don't know what feature of the blade is causing this. Could it be blade flexibility? Perhaps. I can say that the feedback sound of the Treet is significantly louder than for the Kai. I don't know what to make of that, but it might indicate something.

Please feel free to speculate.
I've heard that Kai blades are marginally wider than other blade brands, so perhaps this is having an impact on the feel of the blade. Some people apparently use them on razors that they wish had more blade exposure. I don't have experience with either brand of blade, so this is just what I have picked up from various forums!

Top Bottom