What's new

Everyday scent that won't break the bank.

Where would be a good place to start looking for samples? I've never really shopped for colognes, the most fragrances I've ever put effort into getting are all aftershaves.

Sorry, I didn't see this. I've used tons of places, but prefer www.surrendertochance.com and Crystal Flacon, if you don't mind buying from individuals. There are several reputable people at CF that have a great selection, packaging, pricing and shipping. That said, you can't beat the speed of shipping from Surrender to Chance. What I do, is buy small samples to see if I like it, then buy larger decants of what I like. If I feel it's 'bottle worth' then I'll buy a bottle and refill the decant for when I travel :)

Good luck

Sounds good, thank you so much. I've looked at surrender to chance, so I'll definitely have to check out Crystal Flacon as well.

I'm kind of big on European American Design (EAD) off-brand scents. They are sold in Dollar Stores and can last long. There isn't much musky ones I've seen though there are "dark" and blacks that I haven't tried (I've tried some and they don't fit me personally.) The EAD ones I use are: Astute: Angel/A*Men by by Thierry Mugler, Divluge: Reveal by Calvin Kline, EADXtra: XS by Paco Rabanne, Hot Thrills: Ed Hardy, Jocoste Blue: Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren, Jocoste Red: Polo Red by Ralph Lauren, Pure Gold: 1 Million by Paco Rabanne and Victory Squadron: Invictus by Paco Rabanne. There's also Classic Match which does good Polo too. Michael Jordan is a very good low price cologne too.

I don't remember where I got them, but my cologne collection has a few cheap Russian fragrances.
These would be the Eastern Bloc equivalents of brands like Jovan or Stetson.

The three that I have so far are called Tet-a-Tet, Mercury, and Moscow Nights.

I've gone looking for more like these, but all I can find are on eBay and frightfully expensive.
I don't think these cost more than a couple of rubles if purchased behind the Iron Curtain,
but by the time it makes it to the Western Market the markups are horrendous.

The aromas are cheap and tawdry ... but there are some nights when that's what I want to go with.
I use these sometimes as a standalone fragrance, but more often I use it to mask the musky smell of unscented pheromones.

I wish I could find more like these Russian (or other East European) colognes.
But I've been looking for about 5 years and I can't find it anywhere, except on eBay,
and I'm not about to pay those ridiculous prices.

Last edited:
im going to also suggest nautica voyage...a very fresh scent with great staying power and can be found for $15 at many places.

if you want something different i cannot suggest enough Angel Men pure malt or ultra zest. If you shop around you can find them in the $50 range but they are very strong and will last you quite a long time. I adore both of these scents and they can be worn on all occasions. Pure malt to me is a masterpiece.

im going to also suggest nautica voyage...a very fresh scent with great staying power and can be found for $15 at many places.

if you want something different i cannot suggest enough Angel Men pure malt or ultra zest. If you shop around you can find them in the $50 range but they are very strong and will last you quite a long time. I adore both of these scents and they can be worn on all occasions. Pure malt to me is a masterpiece.

I really like the EAD "knock-off" Angel as I mentioned before and it can be found in Dollar Stores for $1 and it does indeed last. I sprayed it before I went to work at about 6:05/6:10 in the morning while when I went to bed, I was still able to smell it and I didn't bathe myself in it, just the two sprays I normally do on the pressure points you "should" spray.

Check out Mugler Cologne. It's a fresh, green scent that can be had well below your price limit if you look around.

Agreed this was the first scent that sprung to mind , for me it smells almost identical to Creed Original Vetiver if anything a fraction nicer .
Not sure if you still can but you used to be able to buy refills at amazing prices as it comes with a screw cap .

Another suggestion would be Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel not sure of pricing in the USA but here it can be had for around £ 15 for 240 ml .

Try tres nuit by armaf. It's a nice green scent which is basically a copy of green Irish tweed by creed. It's a really good fresh scent that lasts on me for 7 hours. Best part is it is only 25 bucks on Amazon.

I don’t know if the Mugler line (if you are speaking of A*Men) would be an “every day scent.” It’s not a scent I’d suggest wearing to the office or school, but that’s just me.

Check out any East European grocery stores that may be near you.

The are some in southern Ontario that carry a variety of Polish and Czech products.

Top Bottom