What's new

Eversharp (or Ever Sharp) Open Comb DE?

Here’s a recent find; as you can see, it’s an old OC marked “EverSharp”, or perhaps Ever Sharp (?), it’s hard to tell for sure given the cursive font. Also, it is possible to read it as “EvenSharp”, but I’m inclined to go with “Ever”.
$IMG_6129.jpg$IMG_6130.jpg$IMG_6132.jpg

As you can see, it’s a Gillette Old Type knock off; in fact, the head is almost a dead ringer for the thin-cap OT. I assume this would have to have been produced after Gillette’s patents expired, but it looks like it could have been pretty shortly thereafter. The build is quite nice; all brass and the plating appears to be silver. Alas, at some point someone took a wire brush to it, so it’s sort of a wounded warrior, appearance wise. The shave is very OT-like, as you might expect, which is to say somewhat aggressive but reasonably so.

I have never seen or heard of an open comb DE marked with the Eversharp brand; only injectors and the much later Krona DE. I’m curious if this is actually a Schick/Eversharp razor, or if some other company boosted the Eversharp name (before being promptly sued, I would imagine.) I haven’t been able to discover any information on this razor, so I’m turning to the B&B historians to see if anyone can shed any light on this mystery. Anybody got any reconnaissance on this one?

Beautiful razor, especially the handle!

I have done this search before, which means someone here has one, I don't think I found anything then either.

OK, so I think I answered at least part of my question: The Eversharp company was originally a mechanical pencil (and later, fountain pen) company; they acquired the Schick Magazine Rpeating Razor company in 1946. So, prior to 1946, they were not in the razor business. Though I can't document it, I believe it highly likely that my razor is older than that, so likely this piece is from some other maker/seller that used Eversharp as a razor brand, prior to 1946. So I believe that my razor is not a Schick/Eversharp product, but who made/marketed it, and when, remains a mystery.

I would agree with that assessment Spang. Not sure if it's accurate to say this but I doubt a razor designed for the 3 hole blade would have been made any later than about 1930 or so.

Beautiful razor!

I wonder if it's related to my 1912 Eversharp.

Attachments

• $DSCF9140.jpg
    $DSCF9140.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 62
Is that razor built like a '40's Junior?
My Junior is built more like my Ever Ready, but this looks very much like yours and a few others I've seen. I've only seen one other marked Eversharp, and it was from a very old post on another forum.

My Junior is built more like my Ever Ready, but this looks very much like yours and a few others I've seen. I've only seen one other marked Eversharp, and it was from a very old post on another forum.

Just wondering if it is also from the '40's or late '30's.

That's pretty clearly a capital S, so the name is EverSharp, which is different from the spelling I've seen for the Eversharp Co. which bought the Schick name, although companies do tend to alter spellings, fonts, and logos. So basically, the spelling neither proves or disproves anything. :tongue_sm

That's pretty clearly a capital S, so the name is EverSharp, which is different from the spelling I've seen for the Eversharp Co. which bought the Schick name, although companies do tend to alter spellings, fonts, and logos. So basically, the spelling neither proves or disproves anything. :tongue_sm

Yeah, I noticed that too. Everything I've seen branded by the Eversharp/Schick company (including boxes, razors, blade dispensers, etc.) is marked EVERSHARP, in all caps, and I've never seen anything in cursive. So the mark on my razor clearly doesn't look right to be an Eversharp/Schick product but, like you said, that's certainly not definitive.

Top Bottom