What's new

Ever tried to fix something only to make it worse?

Tried to change the gap on my lawnmowers spark plug as she wasn't starting and as I was checking for the spark she gave me the mother of shock/jolts that zapped me to the bone. The zap put me on me arse.

I ended up snapping the end of the spark plug off, no lawnmowing that weekend.

"Ever tried to fix something only to make it worse?"
--------------------------------------------------------

PLUMBING!!!!!
I tried to replace some handle washers for a bathtub once and ended up putting a whole damn new tub in...including fixtures.
Well, it was antiquated anyway....that's what I told my SWMBO. A man has to salvage his dignity to those who look up to him, right. :shifty:

"Ever tried to fix something only to make it worse?"
--------------------------------------------------------

PLUMBING!!!!!
I tried to replace some handle washers for a bathtub once and ended up putting a whole damn new tub in...including fixtures.
Well, it was antiquated anyway....that's what I told my SWMBO. A man has to salvage his dignity to those who look up to him, right. :shifty:

Gotta laugh at those small jobs that turn into big ones.

Sure, I've made things worse a few times. Especially when I was younger and had more time than money, forced into trying to fix something that I should probably have paid someone to fix. BUT, those times taught me a lot about how to better approach DIY repairs and now, in the Internet age, there's almost nothing I won't attempt to fix myself.

Oops, gotta go move the drip bucket. I just did the roof on my house last week.

I have never done this. If it's made worse it just means I'm not done fixing it yet. I've had some VERY long term fixes with this approach, but I know how to do it right when the time comes.

Your zap reminds me of my youth. I was setting the point gap on my motorcycle and had neglected to turn off the ignition switch. ZAP, and I never did find that set of feeler gauges!

Any time I've made something worse by fixing it, it turns out to simply be a failing of humans inability to process time in the correct manner. By being restricted to understanding time as moving in a single direction, they fail to recognize that were they to merely view the passage of time in the other direction, I'm actually improving things.

Any time I've made something worse by fixing it, it turns out to simply be a failing of humans inability to process time in the correct manner. By being restricted to understanding time as moving in a single direction, they fail to recognize that were they to merely view the passage of time in the other direction, I'm actually improving things.

Wow, that's deep.
And all this time I figured that my problem was because I generally use duct tape and pliers to fix everything.

Last edited:
Clothes dryer. Took the dryer apart, replaced the drum rollers, turn the dryer back on and nothing happened. The problem was in the dryer motor. Took the dryer all apart again and could not get the pulley and fan blade off the motor shaft. Threw a temper tantrum. Went to NFM and bought a new clothes dryer.

Shocking stories:
Helped my father work on his 1957 Royal Enfield when I was a kid. He had me hold the plug, or a screwdriver in the wire, I don't remember. Anyway he said we were checking to see if it had fire. I asked how would I know, I found out!
A few years ago when I was at work the wife went to get a new cord for the clothes dryer. When she got home from the store she wanted to be sure it fit into the 220 outlet. She got lucky...

Top Bottom