What's new

Ever-ready "Shovel Head" first shave (another gushing SE user experience)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ok let me preface this by stating:

"I own no stock or shares in any Single-Edge razor manufacturer, I have no stock pile of mint Ever-ready, Gem or Star single edge razors ready to sell on Ebay, and I have purchased the razor below with my own funds"

Just shaved with a 1924 "shovel head" single edge razor, and if the 1912 is to the Gillette SS, than this 1924 is the equivalent to Gillette's red tip. It took off errant pimples and raised hair follicles painlessly, only to be noticed by the red tinged lather. Held flat against the face, the razor effortlessly mows down the whiskers leading to a BBS shave with minor WH sting, and so far no razor burn. One thing that I noticed is that by having to hold the razor flat against the face, it was much easier to apply more pressure than necessary.

I am forced to ask the question, "are there ANY crappy shaving SE razors?" I have tried the 1912, 1914, 1924, damaskeene, MM clog-pruf and MMOC, so I guess the light weight is the one that I won' t like?

IDK, but heck for me SE razors are so good they are almost utilitarian, boring, flavorless and uneventful. No need to sift through dozens of different blades, fiddle with TTO mechanics, clean out gunked out adjustment knobs, etc. I still love to fiddle with my DE's, but SE's are almost too good.

Ok let me preface this by stating:

"I own no stock or shares in any Single-Edge razor manufacturer, I have no stock pile of mint Ever-ready, Gem or Star single edge razors ready to sell on Ebay, and I have purchased the razor below with my own funds"

Just shaved with a 1924 "shovel head" single edge razor, and if the 1912 is to the Gillette SS, than this 1924 is the equivalent to Gillette's red tip. It took off errant pimples and raised hair follicles painlessly, only to be noticed by the red tinged lather. Held flat against the face, the razor effortlessly mows down the whiskers leading to a BBS shave with minor WH sting, and so far no razor burn. One thing that I noticed is that by having to hold the razor flat against the face, it was much easier to apply more pressure than necessary.

I am forced to ask the question, "are there ANY crappy shaving SE razors?" I have tried the 1912, 1914, 1924, damaskeene, MM clog-pruf and MMOC, so I guess the light weight is the one that I won' t like?

IDK, but heck for me SE razors are so good they are almost utilitarian, boring, flavorless and uneventful. No need to sift through dozens of different blades, fiddle with TTO mechanics, clean out gunked out adjustment knobs, etc. I still love to fiddle with my DE's, but SE's are almost too good.

When I bought my 1912 it was a RAD-killer for me. I shaved with only it for a couple of months until I started missing my straights. Now I'm back to them but that 1912 will always have a place in my den. I haven't shaved with a DE in months.

Kentos,

My GEM & Ever-Ready SEs (1912, 1924, 'G-Bar' & Micromatic Bullet Tip) are the best shaving safety razors I have ever used by a large margin :smile:

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Top Bottom