What's new

Ever Ready Saftey Razor & Blade Hone

Hello,

I told someone I would post these photos last week, but I got lazy. I have an old Ever Ready safety razor I've been shaving with, but the shaves aren't nearly as good as they are with my modern plastic throw-aways. I'm using the old blades that came with the razor. I have no reason to think this is a valuable or collectible razor, but it sure is cool. Can I get new blades for it?

Also, the strop kit; is there something I should use to prepare the leather honing disk? It works perfectly but I think the leather disk is pretty dry. Suggestions?

Thank you,
Cliff
Seattle

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hello,

I told someone I would post these photos last week, but I got lazy. I have an old Ever Ready safety razor I've been shaving with, but the shaves aren't nearly as good as they are with my modern plastic throw-aways. I'm using the old blades that came with the razor. I have no reason to think this is a valuable or collectible razor, but it sure is cool. Can I get new blades for it?

Also, the strop kit; is there something I should use to prepare the leather honing disk? It works perfectly but I think the leather disk is pretty dry. Suggestions?

Thank you,
Cliff
Seattle

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes, you can get blades as it uses single edge blades found in most drug stores/Wal-Mart/Kmart/Target/hardware stores. For the blade that most people feel is the best, you should get in on this group buy of "Ted Pella" Gem blades: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=156922

As for that Kriss Kross sharpener, it's kind of useless on today's modern single edge and double edge blades. Blades back in the old days were much thicker and could be stropped and honed. Blades now days are thinner and don't work well on those old stroppers.

Don't use the scraper blades you'll find in the hardware or paint sections of stores like Walmart, K-Mart Home Depot, Lowes etc, they're not suitable for shaving. Walgreens carries the GEM blades made by Personna in the shaving section and they are very good blades, easy to find and relatively inexpensive. Other places carry Treet, GEM Blue Star and PAL brand shaving blades. These work as well, but they are made of carbon steel and tend to rust and lose their edge very quickly, which is what you're experiencing with those old blades you have. Or you can get in on the group buy of the Ted Pellas if you're willing to wait awhile.

The Ever-ready 1914 is an outstanding razor.

Top Bottom