What's new

Ever-Ready 74B-A-A (?) Restoration – TGN Super 2 Band Finest

About the model number of this Ever-Ready, I’m just guessing based on the imprint on the handle (see second photo, below). If anyone knows or has a better suggestion, please speak up. Thanks.

This is another eBay find from a few months ago and, although I seem to have misplaced or lost the “before” photos I took of it, it was crudded up with the typical soap scum and grime, but had only a few relatively minor scratches. The original boar knot was well worn and in poor condition.
Here are the “after” photos:

$Green E-R After A.jpg$Green E-R After B.jpg$Green E-R After C.jpg

This brush was constructed differently from other Ever-Ready brushes I’ve restored. The green outer portion of the handle is a shell made of thin plastic, and it was filled with what appeared to be a mixture of plaster of Paris and sawdust. The thin plastic bottom was loose and some of Plaster of Paris/sawdust material had eroded away. To obtain enough surface area to epoxy the bottom piece back into place I removed more of the Plaster of Paris/sawdust material so there was space for an approximately ¼ inch layer of epoxy. That seems to have worked pretty well.

I painted the lettering on the handle yellow for good contrast. I like the way that turned out.

The socket had to be enlarged a few millimeters to accommodate the 24mm TGN Super 2 Band Finest I chose. The loft is set at 51mm.
I haven’t yet used the brush (waiting for the epoxy to cure), but I’m eager to see how it performs. In any event, I’m happy to attempt to answer any questions about the restoration. Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited:
A couple of months ago when picking up a rental car at Omaha Airport (Epply Field), I asked what kind of car they had for me. I was told I had a choice and he listed off a few. When I heard Mustang I asked if they were 5.0 models and the response was yes, do you want a black one or a green one. I took the green one. I was expecting a different green but what I got was the color of your handle.

That Mustang was a real attention getter, as is your brush.

Nice work, especially when it was potentially very tender.

Can't imagine a better restoration of that handle. It looks similar to the blue one that could not be salvaged by Scott0079, though his was a 59.

A couple of months ago when picking up a rental car at Omaha Airport (Epply Field), I asked what kind of car they had for me. I was told I had a choice and he listed off a few. When I heard Mustang I asked if they were 5.0 models and the response was yes, do you want a black one or a green one. I took the green one. I was expecting a different green but what I got was the color of your handle.

That Mustang was a real attention getter, as is your brush.

Nice work, especially when it was potentially very tender.

Thank you, sir! I lived in Omaha for several years, so I'm quite familiar with Eppley Field. I'm surprised a 5.0 as a rental (everytime I get a shot at one, it's always a 3.7). You're right about that shade of green!

Can't imagine a better restoration of that handle. It looks similar to the blue one that could not be salvaged by Scott0079, though his was a 59.

Thanks much, FL! It hadn't occurred to me, but you're right-- the shape of the handle is very similar to Scott0079's. It was really too bad that his brush couldn't be saved.

You did an excellent job, you can barely tell there was damage to the bottom of the brush.

Looks similar to my Fuller in design... Question was the bottom plastic warped or just separating?

I am asking because the bottom of my Fuller is warped and haven't decided how to fix it...

You did an excellent job, you can barely tell there was damage to the bottom of the brush.

Looks similar to my Fuller in design... Question was the bottom plastic warped or just separating?

I am asking because the bottom of my Fuller is warped and haven't decided how to fix it...

Thanks! The bottom on mine had broken loose and was barely hanging on. I think water had penetrated from the bottom, causing the Plaster of Paris/sawdust material to swell, so there was a noticeable bulge-- standing on it's base, the handle was more than a little bit wobbly. Although I might have been able to repair it by injecting epoxy beneath the thin plastic bottom piece, I decided to get rid of the bulge entirely. After removing the bottom piece, I carved away the plaster of Paris/sawdust material so that I had about 1/4 inch depth for epoxy. I filled the void with epoxy, replaced the bottom piece, and then clamped it. As best I can tell, it's on there pretty good now.

Good luck with your Fuller!

Thanks, your solution is along my original idea. I will post pics of it when I get it done. It might be a little bit because I have couple in front of it and it's in the worse shape.

Wow...that's green! :w00t:

I despise the plaster filling you find in some of the old handles. All it takes is a tiny crack in the usually-thin plastic shell for water to get in and swell the plaster. The next thing you know, the handle looks like someone took a hammer to it. If I do find plaster filling, I try to remove as much as possible, and make sure that any remaining is tightly sealed off with a layer of epoxy.

I'd probably try to carefully remove the bottom plate, clean it out as much as possible, fill the space with epoxy, hot glue, or silicone, and re-cement the base plate back in place/

Thanks, your solution is along my original idea. I will post pics of it when I get it done. It might be a little bit because I have couple in front of it and it's in the worse shape.

I hope it works out for you. Be sure to post photos!

Wow...that's green! :w00t:

I despise the plaster filling you find in some of the old handles. All it takes is a tiny crack in the usually-thin plastic shell for water to get in and swell the plaster. The next thing you know, the handle looks like someone took a hammer to it. If I do find plaster filling, I try to remove as much as possible, and make sure that any remaining is tightly sealed off with a layer of epoxy.

Thanks, Larry. On reflection, I probably should have removed more of the plaster filler. In this brush, the plaster had been augmented with quite a bit of sawdust (I'd guess the mixture was 2/3 plaster, 1/3 sawdust). That sure would exacerbate the swelling problems with any water intrusion.

Thanks much, rahgnar.s-- and you're right about the color being very similar to the Fire King green. This Ever-Ready handle may be just a touch brighter, though.

Top Bottom