What's new

Ever Ready 1924/Shovelhead

Among early disposable-blade SE's, I see a lot of comments extolling the virtues of the Gem Damaskeene, 1912's, and the Ever Ready 1914s. I see comparatively little love for the Ever Ready 1924 models (a.k.a. "Shovelheads"). Is there a reason for that?

Among early disposable-blade SE's, I see a lot of comments extolling the virtues of the Gem Damaskeene, 1912's, and the Ever Ready 1914s. I see comparatively little love for the Ever Ready 1924 models (a.k.a. "Shovelheads"). Is there a reason for that?
Love mine.
proxy.php
proxy.php

+1
For the 1924/Shovelhead. Always liked the unique hinged top plate and how it flips open the other way. Like the shave also. I believe there are a few variants.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've a couple Shovelheaded GEMs. I didn't cotton to them as much as the 1912 or Micromatic, I recall they were somehow clumsy and trapped & tipped water when you didn't need water .. but as a result of this post, I'll try one tomorrow ..

I do recall some while back a member opining that it was like shaving with a shovel under his nose ..

I've a couple Shovelheaded GEMs. I didn't cotton to them as much as the 1912 or Micromatic, I recall they were somehow clumsy and trapped & tipped water when you didn't need water .. but as a result of this post, I'll try one tomorrow ..

I do recall some while back a member opining that it was like shaving with a shovel under his nose ..
Sounds like he was shaving in the wrong direction.

The 1924 can be a very efficient razor, but I find the proper angle to be less intuitive than the other Gem/ER models. If I'm coming off of using a DE it's not as hard to get the proper angle but if I've been using other SE razors it can take me a shave or two to get the angle right.

Interesting observation. I wonder if that was intentional on the part of the Ever Ready designers—perhaps because DE was a well-established technology by 1924, they intended to more closely replicate the experience of DE shaving?

The 1924 can be a very efficient razor, but I find the proper angle to be less intuitive than the other Gem/ER models. If I'm coming off of using a DE it's not as hard to get the proper angle but if I've been using other SE razors it can take me a shave or two to get the angle right.
Note that head/handle angle varies depending on which version of the 1924 you're talking about. The 1909 angle is even more acute .
proxy.php

Interesting observation. I wonder if that was intentional on the part of the Ever Ready designers—perhaps because DE was a well-established technology by 1924, they intended to more closely replicate the experience of DE shaving?

I doubt it. The "1924" design has its origins in razors dating back at least a decade. The model we know as the 1924 acutally debuted in 1919, and the "cap hinged at the guard" ASR design dates to 1914/15 according to Waits. There is also a Shovel Head design from 1909. DE was far from dominant in those days. GEM/ER sold the Shovel Head razors up through the 20s alongside the 1912 and ER 1914 models, until the Micromatic replaced them all, save for the 1912.

Last edited:
I doubt it. The "1924" design has its origins in razors dating back at least a decade. The model we know as the 1924 acutally debuted in 1919, and the "cap hinged at the guard" ASR design dates to 1914/15 according to Waits. There is also a Shovel Head design from 1909. DE was far from dominant in those days. GEM/ER sold the Shovel Head razors up through the 20s alongside the 1912 and ER 1914 models, until the Micromatic replaced them all, save for the 1912.
It's only the American patent that dates from 1915. The same patent was obtained in Britain by De Mesquita in 1910 (application '09). Though the US application was made only six months after the British, for some reason it wasn't approved until six years later.

Here's the 1909.
proxy.php

Last edited:
It's only the American patent that dates from 1915. The same patent was obtained in Britain by De Mesquita in 1910 (application '09). Though the US application was made only six months after the British, for some reason it wasn't approved until six years later.

Here's the 1909.
proxy.php
1909 example is a beauty @jmudrick . Enjoy the holidays and happy NEW year.

Top Bottom