What's new

Ever Ready 1914...Wild find...

I love the 1914 Ever-Ready. "Sophisticated elegance" is the way I describe the razor and the shave. Yeah, the handle is smallish, but if all razors had the same sized handles they would be boring and predictable.

Congrats! It looks just like mine with the earlier small blade stops and the Patent date. I think most of them with the small stops are Patent Pending. I for one love the size and feel of small handle, but mine (and I believe your's too) is made of steel. So you'll probably want to make sure it's dry after use. I go back and forth whether the 12 or the 14 is my favorite Gem Blade SE, usually it's the last one I used.

The MMOC has more blade gap than the 1914 and that's what can cause issues if you don't maintain your angle.

but the MMOC has more blade gap

Disregard this ^^^^ , I got the 1914 blade gap mixed up with the Valet VC1.

Looks like the MMOC and 1914 both have the same blade gap, have to find my feeler gauges.

Will use the MMOC tomorrow.

The ER 1914 is tied with my Valet VB1 as my favorite SE. Loud and Proud!

I didn't like the short heavy handle so I'm using a hollow 3-1/4" handle from GEM open-comb Damaskeene. Absolutely perfect weight and balance. I also use this handle on my tooth-comb Damaskeenes which came with basically the same short hollow handle as the ER 1914
proxy.php

I'm assuming you have a MMOC?
Sort of. I have/had a mint NOS cased MMOC (with the bumps) but my daughter stole it.

I didn't mind the MMOC at all, but prefer my Clog-Pruf. Neither come close to the AutoStrop B1/VB1, ER 1914, 1924 and Streamline, and GEM Damaskeenes

I didn't mind the MMOC at all, but prefer my Clog-Pruf.

I almost forgot that you are an experienced wielder of the postwar Tech!

Since I went extremely shallow with the MMOC, it went from my least favorite razor to one of my most favorite razors.

Last edited:
I almost forgot that you are an experienced wielder of the postwar Tech!

Since I went extremely shallow with the MMOC, it went from my least favorite razor to one of my most favorite razors.
You don't choose the oval-slot Tech - it chooses you. Only those who are worthy find it to be the amazing shaver that it is ;-)

I really REALLY disliked the MMOC when I first got it. It was my first SE and kept me away for almost a year.

Being stubborn I wasn't going to let a razor beat me, so I learned to use it and really liked it. It sparked my obsession with SEs, and now I have way too many. I still prefer the ones I listed above to the MMOC, but that doesn't make it a bad razor.

You don't choose the oval-slot Tech - it chooses you. Only those who are worthy find it to be the amazing shaver that it is ;-)

:thumbsup:

I really REALLY disliked the MMOC when I first got it. It was my first SE and kept me away for almost a year.

I felt the same way. My first mistake was actually buying paint scrapers not made for shaving. It was a horrible experience, didn't know any better. I gave it to a friend along with the paint scrapers and he loves it. I later learned about the blades and bought some from CVS and it was much better but I still wasn't a fan. I told my friend that the blades I gave him was not meant for shaving and he replied "they are great!" So I gave him the rest of the paint scrapers I had.

Fast forward, I recently learned how to wield the MMOC properly, I popped one of the paint scrapers in the MMOC and the results were the same, horrible blade, aborted the shave. I went to my friend who still enjoys the horrible blades and apologized to him and gave him some GEM SS PTFE blades and I'm waiting for his review.

The MMOC is now one of my favorite razors!

I soaked it in Dawn dish soap briefly until realized the handle was stainless steel.

It had some green on the comb that washed off easily. Other than that, it was clean.
Thanks I got the GEM bug last weekend and acquired a few different Gems so I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean them. An BTW you are partially to blame for me getting the GEM bug!! Lol

Thanks I got the GEM bug last weekend and acquired a few different Gems so I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean them. An BTW you are partially to blame for me getting the GEM bug!! Lol

Find a better role model!

Looking forward to see what you picked up!

Scored a 1914 version2, a couple of minutes ago on the auction site. For the whopping sum of $9.52. So now my vintage GEM collection lacks only one model, of the ones I desire, to be complete. That lacking model is the 1912 open comb.

Top Bottom