What's new

Ever Ready 1914...Wild find...

If you don't like the short handle of the 1914 (L in the photo below), you'd hate the handle of the "Shovelhead" (R in the photo below). Actually, the handles are about the same length, but on the 1914, it attaches so much lower, giving a longer "virtual length".

Note the little lather catcher feature of the 1914.

But before other folks start boring out the heads on their vintage Gem razors, remember that 2 piece Gem handles are (all?) interchangeable, so you could just get a longer one off another Gem.

View attachment 802150

My 1914 handle threads are smaller and does not fit my 1912 or Streamline. The 1912 and Streamline handles are interchangeable. Valet handles fit the Streamline and 1912, the 1912 handle doesn't fit through the lever on the valet.

My 1914 handle threads are smaller and does not fit my 1912 or Streamline. The 1912 and Streamline handles are interchangeable. Valet handles fit the Streamline and 1912, the 1912 handle doesn't fit through the lever on the valet.
Older model GEM and ER razors (like Damaskeenes and early 1914s) use a smaller thread than the later razors. If you don't care about collectability, just run an 8-32 tap through the smaller holed versions so you can use any later SE handle.

Older model GEM and ER razors (like Damaskeenes and early 1914s) use a smaller thread than the later razors. If you don't care about collectability, just run an 8-32 tap through the smaller holed versions so you can use any later SE handle.

Thanks for the tip!

@troy

The handle weighs 36 grams. I don't think it's aluminum.

Notice the space between the comb and where the handle attaches. Also notice the rivets under the Ever and Ready on the one on the left that are not on the one on the right.

The 1912 handle will not fit on either 1914, both 1914 handles are interchangeable.

IMAG0352.jpg
IMAG0354.jpg

If you don't like the short handle of the 1914 (L in the photo below), you'd hate the handle of the "Shovelhead" (R in the photo below). Actually, the handles are about the same length, but on the 1914, it attaches so much lower, giving a longer "virtual length".

Note the little lather catcher feature of the 1914.

But before other folks start boring out the heads on their vintage Gem razors, remember that 2 piece Gem handles are (all?) interchangeable, so you could just get a longer one off another Gem.

View attachment 802150

That Shovelhead is beautiful. I've never seen one.

Top Bottom