What's new

Ever Ready 1907 Lather Catcher: Original or Frankenrazor?

$IMG_4580.jpg$IMG_4579.jpg$IMG_4578.jpg

On a recent junking expedition, I came across this ER lather catcher. It looked to be mechanically sound, and the price was right, so I picked it up. Not being very familiar with the details of the various lather catchers, I needed to do a little research to determine that this is, apparently, a 1907. But most of the 1907s that I have seen pics of have wood handles or, in a couple of cases, a tubular steel handle with a stropping fitting on the end. I haven’t come across any pictures that show a 1907 with a handle like mine.
The solid steel handle on mine looks virtually identical to that on the Gem Damaskeene, so my first thought was "Frankenrazor". That makes sense as I would guess that lot of the original 1907 wood handles managed to bite the dust somewhere along the line and have been replaced. But thenI checked the fit on a couple of Damaskeene handles I have, and no go. The 1907 head takes a smaller thread size. Likewise for the ER 1914 handle; the thread is too big for the 1907.

So now I’m wondering if this might actually be original, which leads me to ask folks here: has anyone ever seen a 1907 with this handle?
Original or not, it looks and feels like a good setup. It’s my first (usable) lather catcher, and I’ll be giving it a go soon.

I am not an expert, but I think this is a Franken with that handle. I could be wrong. Cool razor in any event. I love the elaborate heads of these lather catchers.

I've had a flick through some old adverts and likewise, I think the handle is a mis-match.

I can find examples with a metal handle, but it is the slimmer style as seen on the early 1914s or the hollow handle with the stropper attachment in the end. Otherwise, it's a short, stubby wooden handle.

Lovely razor nevertheless! Congratulations!

That sounds definitive to me, and certainly is consistent with the limited research I managed. Thanks much for weighing in.

It should either have a turned wooden handle or a really small, very thin metal rolled brass handle with a barber pole knurl that houses an internal stripper that threads to the male screw on it. Both are perishable handles and that 1914/gem 1912 damaskeene handle is a tank which is why it was changed, I imagine. That is one of the absolute best safety razors ever btw...

Top Bottom