What's new

Ever Ready 1907 Lather Catcher: Need Help!

As I posted in an earlier thread, I recently came across an ER 1907 lather catcher. Based on what I have read (mostly here on B & B) I was of the belief that the 1907 would take a modern SE blade. But after a careful examination of my ER, I cannot figure out how a modern SE blade could fit this thing.

$IMG_4617.jpg$IMG_4618.jpg

As you can see from the pics, there is about a 1-2 mm gap between the little spring tabs on either side of the blade tray and the surface of the blade. These tabs do not contact the blade at all; given that, I can't figure out what their function is. Are these tabs supposed to contact the blade and help secure it? Also, this is harder to see in the pics, but the tab that flips up in the back doesn't quite come completely snug against the spine of the blade when the edge is against the blade stops. It's close, but there is a tiny gap that allows the blade to move slightly under light pressure.

If I lift the spine of the blade while keeping the edge against the blade stops, this brings the spine into firm contact with the back tab, and also the side tabs then touch the blade surface. This seems to suggest that this razor is perhaps designed for (and only fits) a wedge blade?

The basic mechanics of this razor seem to me to be in order, but then I am a lather catcher neophyte (this is my first) so I really don't know what I'm looking at. The bottom line is there is no way I can figure how a standard SE blade can be loaded securely in this particular razor in its present condition.

So my questions are, (a) is this razor defective, or (b) only designed for a wedge blade, or (c) am I a complete idiot?

Last edited:
That was always designed for the modern se blade from the get go. The springs may all be down on tension. I have that exact same razor and it snaps tight as can be. If you give me like 10 minutes I can maybe make a video for you

I have done repairs on these old lather catchers that were banged up or had a few inconsistencies. My ER lather catcher (below) had a tab that did not make contact with the razor blade. I gently used needle nose pliers to crimp the tab allowing it to make contact with the blade. I have also gently angled blade clips downwards.

$ER WoodLatCat 12.jpg

The blade clips on the right and left sides should be angled downwards, they help secure the blade in place. Below is a picture of an ER lather catcher that I repaired both clips, they did not make contact with the razor blade. This LC was in very bad shape.

$ER LathCatch 2.jpg

The other thing it could be is the tray got mashed downwards slightly putting slack in the whole setup.

Looking at his lather catcher it looks like this might be the case. Analyzing the side view of his LC looks like this is probably the case.

The frame of the (retaining) clips looks sandwiched together with the top frame. There should be separation between both frames. I suspect that the top frame has been angled down (which is why the tab doesn't meet the blade).

In the pictures you can see separation between both frames.

$Lather Catcher problem 1.jpg

The other thing it could be is the tray got mashed downwards slightly putting slack in the whole setup.

That's it exactly. With the great guidance from you guys, a little gentle bending and my LC now holds a blade snug as can be. A very simple fix.

Thanks so much to kcb5150 and DrumZalot for the excellent diagnosis and corrective instructions. You guys really went above and beyond, and I really appreciate your help. The 1907 is in the queue for tomorrow!

That is great news. I love those razors. Usually what I default to the days I don't use a straight. That or a star lc

I'd like to resurrect this thread. I have a 1907 where the blade stop pins along the comb are worn, and the blade wont secure against one of the two. Any ideas on how to give that stop pin a little more umpf?

I know ppl have built up and reshaped the retainers before. I have seen solder used, anchoring a new bit of metal in there and filing it, etc.

Top Bottom