What's new

Ever Ready 150B and 100 Two Tone Restorations

I completed my fourth and fifth restorations. The blue and white is an Ever Ready 100 restored with a Whipped Dog Silvertips 24mm/65mm set at 51mm loft.

The green and white is an Ever Ready 150B restored with a TGN Finest 22mm/62mm Fan XH set at 52mm loft.

I restored the brushes the same way as my previous two (link); instead of using a penny I used a wine cork to fill the handle because a penny wasn't wide enough. I could have used several pennies to fill in the handle but I don't like heavy brushes.

Here are the basic steps to restoring a brush:

* Cover the handle using masking tape before removing the knot.
1. Cut the original hairs
2. Drill into the knot
3. Remove original knot
4. Remove shelf and original epoxy
5. Increase the handle bores to accept 22mm and 24mm knots by using a sanding drum
6. File the bore with a nail file
7. Polish the handle
8. Put in a wine cork and fill in the handle with two part epoxy. Wait 24 hours
9. Install knot
10. Wait 24 hours before washing & using the brush.

During the initial wash the Whipped Dog Silvertip knot (blue and white handle) shed over sixty hairs. I stopped counting after sixty. I set the knot lower at 51mm to give it a little more backbone than my previous restored brush which was set at 53mm. The brush has a little bit of more backbone. I should have gone lower to 48mm. The tips are soft. The knot is dense but it sheds. Hopefully it will decrease over time.

I restored the Ever Ready 150B (green & white) with a TGN Finest set at 52mm. During the initial wash it shed only one strand of hair. It has great backbone and very soft tips. I am very happy with the brush.

I didn't get a chance to polish the handles, nevertheless I think they look, perform great and both are keepers. The Whipped Dog Silvertip builds great lather quicker. The TGN Finest has better feel.

Attachments

• $IMG_0331.jpg
    $IMG_0331.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 127
  • $IMG_0318.jpg
    $IMG_0318.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 126
  • $IMG_0326.jpg
    $IMG_0326.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 126
  • $IMG_0333.jpg
    $IMG_0333.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 127
Great looking restores. :w00t:

I was thinking of ordering some of the Whipped Dog knots, but now I'm wondering if they tend to be shedders. Would appreciate it if you'd keep us posted on the hair loss issue.

Thanks everyone!

Great looking restores. :w00t:

I was thinking of ordering some of the Whipped Dog knots, but now I'm wondering if they tend to be shedders. Would appreciate it if you'd keep us posted on the hair loss issue.

I am will sure the shedding will decrease over time. I'll make an update after a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom