What's new

Evening straight course in my town

I'd just like to post my experiences after I was part of an evening learning about straight razors at a local store.
We were seven guys, almost all of whom bought their first straight. Already this was a source of some excitement! The lecturers were good, and taught us how to strop and shave.

As I was the only one who had prior experience (with shavettes), I thought the rest would be careful and taking their time cutting their long saved beards.

Alas! Stop reading now if you're sensitive to bloody horror stories, although being here that's probably not the case. There was this one guy amongst us who held his blade 90 degrees, scraping it up and down as he applied pressure. I was in shock, and so was his face. He just smiled and laughed as he admired his new-gotten scars, continuing in the same fashion. The teachers didn't know how to correct this "technique", but he didn't seem to mind. When we were done he was full of red lines, and had some bigger ones as well. And of course, still as much beard as he had when he began. :blink:

In the end I had a great time, but I can't help to think what his wife said when he came home... :lol:

Sounds like a great course! I wish there was something like that here!

As for the chop-shop guy. Sounds like he was being stupid and trying to be "manly" about it in a "chicks dig scars" kind of way.
In reality though chicks will just think he's an idiot.

lol... yeah, I was psyched about the class for you until I read that the teacher didn't know how to correct the guy who was slicing his face off. :blink:

lol... yeah, I was psyched about the class for you until I read that the teacher didn't know how to correct the guy who was slicing his face off. :blink:

I interpreted that as "he failed so hard the teacher didn't know where to begin." Though your reading makes sense, too.

I hope this does not offend, but I can't help thinking of Vikings, straight razors, and beards. This is a strange combination. I would expect some friction in such a class.

Does your tradition include using blades on one's self? :lol:

In reality though chicks will just think he's an idiot.

that's sad commentary on people in general...

i sometimes walk around with a couple of red lines on my face from learning straights with a weird combination of battered and exhilarated pride. I know for sure people think I am an idiot for not using a mach 3, and I'll blush, feel a bit embarrassed, but I always keep my chin up (and my skin stretched) and tell whats going on and why I am doing it. I am not looking for their approval.

I imagine when you don't know what you are doing and it doesn't come a s easily to you as it does to others, you might get that machismo embarrassment and deal with it in a way that others feel makes you look like an idiot.. I'll give the guy credit for not throwing up his hands (sans razor) and walking out the door saying that 'straights are dumb'.

Top Bottom