What's new

Estate sale gold Aristocrats

I found these two Aristocrats at an estate sale this morning and wanted to see what you expert guys could tell me about them. As you can tell, the one on the left looks older, has a little wear(especially on safety bar and center bar). The one on the right looks to have almost no wear. On the underside of the head, they both only say "REG US PAT OFF" with no date or number stamps, and just the Gillette emblem and MADE IN USA underneath that. Unfortunately, the one on the left didn't have the blade holder:thumbdown so I guess it's pretty unlikely for me to find one of those. Can you guys give me an idea of how old these might be? Also, I've never tried to clean/disinfect a gold razor before, so I was hoping you guys could help me learn how to do that without ruining the finish, etc. Any other info for a newbie would be appreciated. Thanks!
Cleave

View attachment 75739

View attachment 75740

View attachment 75741

GREAT finds!

the Aristocrat on the left is from 1946 - 1947. You'll note the center bar is unnotched. (I used my 46/47 Aristo this morning - a great shaver!)

The one on the right is 1948 on... also a great shave, though some argue that the unnotched TTOs are subtly but significantly different.

These are wonderful and sought after razors...

Congratulations!

there are a number of threads on B&B re disinfecting razors (soap and water is a good start) - and a toothbrush & soap and water will clean 'em up wonderfully.

I'd stick with nothing more than warm/hot tap water, liquid soap (I use anti-bacterial) and an old toothbrush to clean these up.

And the blade casses can certainly be found if you've a mind to hunt for them (if you were at an estate sale, I am guessing the answer is yes).

eBay would be a good source, just be a little flexible, and don't settle on just one specific item (look also in lots). And be patient (I've bought probably 10 blade cases there in the last 6 weeks, varying conditions/finishes/styles).

Very nice find!

Good find.....I love the way an Aristocrat feels in the hand...and they are a great shave too.

I've had pretty good results cleaning up razors with Goop hand cleaner and a toothbrush, apply, let set over night, clean under warm running water.

Enjoy those great razors.

I found these two Aristocrats at an estate sale this morning ... Unfortunately, the one on the left didn't have the blade holder:thumbdown so I guess it's pretty unlikely for me to find one of those.

Great Caesar's Ghost, some people could get caught in a shower of free dames and beer and would spend the day complaining about how they forgot to bring a bumbershoot! :lol:

Might I ask what you paid for those?

The wiki describes these well.

An ammonia bath (ie, windex or equivalent) works well as a jewelry cleaner in general, and did a good job on the aristocrats that I've cleaned up. After that, use a toothbrush to wipe off the loosened gunk.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the wisdom. No, Topgumby, not really complaining :blush: , in fact I was as giddy as a schoolgirl when I found them. And even giddier now that I've been told I can probably find a blade-holder for it. :lol: I'm really looking forward to trying one of them out tomorrow... again, guys, thanks
CP

oops, sorry, I forgot that you asked how much I paid for them. They were $3.00 apiece, so yes, I was pretty giddy! :thumbup:
Cleave

Three bucks? Great Googly Moogly, I don't know if you should be tried as a pirate or decorated for saving those beauts from the trash heap.

I vote for the second one. :thumbup:

Top Bottom