What's new

Escape from the ball-point planet

On my way out the door, for a walk and to find a nice place to sit down and write a letter or two, I grabbed my notebook and wished I had a better pen to use. I'd like to get something better than the run-of-the-mill Bic ball-points I've always used. Really nothing fancy, just something to make the act of writing on paper a bit more pleasing. I don't even know where to start, but this seems like the right place to ask!

Well, you have plenty of options. It really depends on how much you're willing to spend.

For $3-5, you can get a Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pen (just to see if you like them or to give you an idea of what they're like without dropping a lot of money) or the Platinum Preppy, which I have no experience with, but I hear they can last a while. They can use cartridges/converters, or they can be converted to an eyedropper pen, which basically means that the entire body is filled with ink.

For $10-25, you could pick up any of the Noodler's pens, a Kaweco Sport, a Lamy Safari, a Pilot 78G, and tons of others. These seem to be the most popular in this price range.

If you're looking to spend up to $50-60, I can't recommend the TWSBI 540 enough.

And, of course, there are limitless options as your budget increases - fountain pens can be VERY expensive. It all depends on how much you're looking to spend, and if you think the cost/benefit ratio is worth it.

There are also different filling methods. I think the only major one I haven't mentioned is the piston filler, which includes the TWSBI and most Noodler's pens.

My suggestion would be to do some research, figure out what you like, maybe try some pens out if that's an option in your geographic area. I have no affiliation, but I would highly recommend Goulet Pens (http://www.gouletpens.com). They have wonderful customer service, a lot of really great resources (check out the Fountain of Knowledge), reasonably priced merchandise, and their team will be more than willing to answer any questions you have.

A similar community, and one of which several B&B members are also members, is Fountain Pen Network.

Good luck!

Last edited:
IMO my preppy doesn't give me the satisfaction of writing with a fountain pen, the Pilot Varsity reminded me too much of a felt tip pen, and the Flex pens are hit or miss. http://www.isellpens.com/pilot.html currently has Pilot 78G for under $13 and they sell 3ML samples, I hear that they are good inexpensive pens. Albeit being on hiatus I'm satisfied with the pens I bought from Benton Clay for $3.33.

Similar to shaving, the startup up cost is rather steep, for a few dollars more you could get something much better than a Van Der Hagen brush. When it comes to fountain pens, I love both my Lamys with a 1.1 italic nib. Fountain pen can get a little excessive, in just a few months I have 8 bottles and over 20 ink samples.. But think. You will may never write with the same ink for more than a week at a time! The only downside of it, is the color your fingers will be. Today:purple.

+1!

Anyone have a TWSBI 540 they would like to trade for some $$$ or tobacco pipe stuff? :) Id rather buy off of someone here than the 'bay... This will be my first pen as I am looking to transfer out of pallpoint Bics just as Im trying to transfer out of cartridge shaving :)

+1!

Anyone have a TWSBI 540 they would like to trade for some $$$ or tobacco pipe stuff? :) Id rather buy off of someone here than the 'bay... This will be my first pen as I am looking to transfer out of pallpoint Bics just as Im trying to transfer out of cartridge shaving :)

Used ones are pretty tough to come by right now - I think even new ones are scarce. Goulet Pen Co., among others, seem to be having trouble keeping them in stock. I think your best bet would be to get one new.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm also curious to know you can safely carry a fountain pen around (in a pocket, for instance), or if they're prone to leaking and better suited to keeping at your desk.

I have a Platinum Plaisure. It is the metal version of the Preppy and runs ~20.00 US
I have found that it is a great beater pen. It writes well and has a nib stiff enough that people who bear down to write do not damage the nib. It looks like a more expensive pen and is inexpensive enough that losing it or damaging it would not be painful. It is tough enough to carry in the hip pocket of my jeans when I am riding my motorcycle or bumming around.
It takes cartridges and comes with one but I use a converter so that I can use the ink of my choice easily.

This pen is a far cry from my vintage Parker's but only costs a small fraction of what they are worth.

On my way out the door, for a walk and to find a nice place to sit down and write a letter or two, I grabbed my notebook and wished I had a better pen to use. I'd like to get something better than the run-of-the-mill Bic ball-points I've always used. Really nothing fancy, just something to make the act of writing on paper a bit more pleasing. I don't even know where to start, but this seems like the right place to ask!

Are you looking for a more attractive ball point or a completely different type of writing instrument like a fountain pen or rollerball pen?

Each has its own quirks so you should decide which type of writing instrument you want to use then you can find something attractive that fits what appeals to you.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm also curious to know you can safely carry a fountain pen around (in a pocket, for instance), or if they're prone to leaking and better suited to keeping at your desk.

The only pens I've had leak in my pocket were pens that had snap-on caps, and they only leaked when the cap came completely off. This is why I only carry pens with threaded caps in my pocket.

Fountain pens don't seem to be a leaking problem. I've had more of a problrm with roller balls that I forget to cap leaking in my pocket. It is more of a problem with my own absentmindedness than the pens problem. You can't blame the pen for your own ineptitudeness.

Are you looking for a more attractive ball point or a completely different type of writing instrument like a fountain pen or rollerball pen?

Each has its own quirks so you should decide which type of writing instrument you want to use then you can find something attractive that fits what appeals to you.

I just want to find a pen that feels good to write with. Could be a fountain pen, a ball-point, etc...
I'll probably have to try a few things to find out just what I'm looking for. Thanks again fellas!

Pilot 78g is a great entry to fountain pens. Pair with a bottle of noodler's bullet proof black, and you will do well. I actually liked how the Platinum preppy I got free with a bottle of ink wrote, but the plastic was pretty cruddy and the cap cracked long ago. For disposable stuff, I always liked the pilot G2. My old workplace used to buy them (my new workplace goes cheap on them)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have had zero leakage problems. Seven pens, two of those are eyedroppers. I have screw caps and snap caps- no issues yet.

I keep a fountain pen in my shirt pocket for about 10 hours a day, when I'm not writing with it. Never had an accident -- not one single leak. The only time the ink ends up anywhere other than in the pen or on the paper is when it gets on the section during filling. Noodler's Ahab, Lamy Al-Star, TWSBI 540, Parker 51, Ratnamson 302, Edison Nouveau Premiere, and formerly a Kaweco Sport, a couple Esterbrooks, a Pilot Varsity... maybe some others I've forgotten, but no leaks anywhere.

I still use the first FP I ever bought, a Pilot Plumix I bought at Target.
I love italic nibs, and you can't find one cheaper than on the Plumix!

Top Bottom