What's new

English Leather Vintage Aftershave

I have nice bottle of vintage cologne but I haven’t tried a vintage aftershave yet. I use the newer stuff mostly. It’s close enough that I get the feel of it and I can use it liberally. 😁
If using vintage cologne, you can always sub in the new aftershave! A great combination in my opinion.

Once a bottle of cologne has been opened, oxygen gets into the bottle and will begin to oxidize the contents. A sealed bottle should last a long time as long as it is not exposed to heat or light. Being in the original box is a good sign.
Ray, I hesitate to ask this question because I literally got D's in high school chemistry, but wouldn't the oxygen in the air within the unopened bottle also cause potential issues?

I have a vintage bottle of English Leather from MEM. Got it new back around 1983 as a Christmas present from my parents as my Dad wore that a lot.

Sat in my room for more than a few years along with a bunch of other vintage stuff like Old Spice (Shulton), Avon Black Suede, Wind Drift, Racquet Club (memba those?!), Chaps, Chaz, a small bottle of Stetson and an almost full bottle of Polo Green until I was discharged and my wife and I moved back.

I still have them today and wear them every once in a while. I will admit that the Wind Drift is not up to snuff anymore but the others are still going strong and smell just as I remember them 39 or so years ago.:biggrin1:

Oil will spoil that’s the reason why olive oil is in a green glass instead of clear glass. Not sure about after shave. Rubbing alcohol is in clear containers in the store usually.

English Leather reminds me of my father-god bless his soul - he had a good amount of other nice after shaves like Brut , Hai Karate , Old Spice and colognes like Cacharel , Drakkar Noir , Kouros , Tsar etc
I remember as a kid i thought the English Leather scent was quite "heavy", but now i think its brilliant.

English leather, my favorite and first. Stopped using it in the 1970's when switch to Old Spice. Many AS later. Tried the newer stuff a few years ago and didn't care for the scent, not as I remembered the vintage variety.

English leather, my favorite and first. Stopped using it in the 1970's when switch to Old Spice. Many AS later. Tried the newer stuff a few years ago and didn't care for the scent, not as I remembered the vintage variety.
The vintage is markedly different.

English Leather was my favorite when I was younger. Found a glass bottle of it that I have from decades ago and it still smells good. It brings back memories of my youth. Do they still make English Leather?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here is a vintage MEM 240ml cologne I found earlier this year - lovely stuff:

1698837336521.png

1698837361781.png
1698837373779.png

Here is a vintage MEM 240ml cologne I found earlier this year - lovely stuff:

View attachment 1741779
View attachment 1741780 View attachment 1741781

That's a great find, an 8-ounce bottle. This shave brush was made using the cap from a Mem 16-ounce bottle of EL AS. It uses a 32mm Silvertip badger knot. Not only did I use that juice for a long time, but I ended up with a great brush. Your cap should be large enough for someone to make a good brush handle out of it when you're done with the juice.

This shave brush was made using the cap from a Mem 16-ounce bottle of EL AS. It uses a 32mm Silvertip badger knot. Not only did I use that juice for a long time, but I ended up with a great brush. Your cap should be large enough for someone to make a good brush handle out of it when you're done with the juice.

This is brilliant. Love the repurposing aesthetic. You've elevated the piece from a meaningless discard to (potentially) an enduring heirloom item.

I'm on the hunt for EL in the wild. I did score a Russian Leather AS/Cologne set, but so far no vintage EL.

I have SO MUCH Avon Leather and that stuff is incredible, in my opinion!

Isn't there vintage Dana also, or is MEM the only way to go?

I want to be sure I'm grabbing the best juice, so any guidance on what I should be looking for is appreciated!

I'm on the hunt for EL in the wild. I did score a Russian Leather AS/Cologne set, but so far no vintage EL.

I have SO MUCH Avon Leather and that stuff is incredible, in my opinion!

Isn't there vintage Dana also, or is MEM the only way to go?

I want to be sure I'm grabbing the best juice, so any guidance on what I should be looking for is appreciated!

MEM is the only way to go.

I get all my vintage EL from eBay. You have to shop, as much of it is overpriced. And make sure it's a completely full, NOS bottle.

I use Avon Leather as well, and also Avon Wild Country. I like the scents, but IMHO, they wear out very quickly. Once my bottles of each are empty, I'll not resupply those.

Top Bottom