What's new

Electric burr grinder

Okay… 😬

Very nice, makes my incoming Baratza look a bit homely. 😆

Do you own the Fellows?...if so, how do you like it, how does it compare to the Encore?

Very nice, makes my incoming Baratza look a bit homely. 😆

Do you own the Fellows?...if so, how do you like it, how does it compare to the Encore?
No, but this v2 version really fixes any complaints about the original. I have used that one, but I own more expensive grinders. I am really thinking about getting one of these though. Don’t feel bad about getting a Baratza, I am a long term customer and advocate! You can always sell it to somebody starting out later on.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have to say, I would like to hit a button and get the perfect grind. For me, since I'm only using a French Press and use my manual grinder on one of the coarsest settings available on it, it doesn't take that long to get my French press loaded with coffee, but if I was using a more challenging grind, I would love an excellent electric grinder, but man.... are the good ones costly.

but man.... are the good ones costly.
May I interest you in some gateway drug!? :devil:

Functionaly, this going to be like an Encore with a different name and a similar price.

(I edited this because the v1 refurb is too iffy to recommend even for course grind and it sounds like their customer service is getting snotty, I should have just deleted this post)

Last edited:
Good choice on Encore. I purchased their first grinder (Maestro). Used it for decades. Completely rebuilt it and sold it to a fellow B&B member 10 years ago. I'm sure it is still working just fine for them today.

Baratza sells every part for every grinder they have ever made and they provide video and written instructions on how to replace/repair every part (small screws to the ittle rubber feet)

Attachments

• grinders_x6.jpg
    grinders_x6.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 5
No, but this v2 version really fixes any complaints about the original. I have used that one, but I own more expensive grinders. I am really thinking about getting one of these though. Don’t feel bad about getting a Baratza, I am a long term customer and advocate! You can always sell it to somebody starting out later on.
I was also going to recommend the Ode2, you made a fine choice with baratza. The gen 2 burrs for the ode made daily, tasty brewed coffee. It. I have no experience with the Ode, I’ve used the gen2 burrs only.

The nice thing I will say if you did go with the ode, it uses common 64mm burrs. You can try out different burrs in it, keep or sell the burrs as you see fit and in the future if you upgrade your grinder those burrs can be used in other 64mm grinders.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My wonderful coffee family, look what I have done!

1691606060512.png

Yes, its true, I could not contain myself, your all such beautiful enablers, including myself. I went and did it. What did I do you ask? Well, I went to Baratza's website directly, and I ordered the Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder. I am primarily a hand grinder user, because I like hand grinding. But even I admit, I have to run several loads of beans through that hand grinder, until I am able to produce 20-cups of coffee per day.

Why so much you ask? Because I am not only making coffee for myself, but I am also making coffee to fill up a carafe, for a family member as well. So, I couldn't resist the pressure any longer, I had to do it, I had to buy it, for its going to make my life so much easier. Why does my story feel like a repeat of Joe's? Probably because we were both in the same boat, and rather then let the boat sink, we chose to upgrade.

1691606424244.png

My wonderful coffee family, look what I have done!

View attachment 1699663

Yes, its true, I could not contain myself, your all such beautiful enablers, including myself. I went and did it. What did I do you ask? Well, I went to Baratza's website directly, and I ordered the Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder. I am primarily a hand grinder user, because I like hand grinding. But even I admit, I have to run several loads of beans through that hand grinder, until I am able to produce 20-cups of coffee per day.

Why so much you ask? Because I am not only making coffee for myself, but I am also making coffee to fill up a carafe, for a family member as well. So, I couldn't resist the pressure any longer, I had to do it, I had to buy it, for its going to make my life so much easier. Why does my story feel like a repeat of Joe's? Probably because we were both in the same boat, and rather then let the boat sink, we chose to upgrade.

View attachment 1699668

Awesome. 👍🙂👍

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Late to the party. PLease update. Very intrigued.

FWIW- the coffee geek at office has one here at the office for 8-10 years where it grinds at least 2x a day. No issues at all.

Here's your update from our amazing B&B member @gpjoe

Old thread but I'm chiming in as an Ode v2 owner. I've had no complaints with it thus far (about 8 months in). Grind has been consistent, the anti-static technology has been working as advertised, and I really like the aesthetics and small footprint. It's not intended for espresso which isn't an issue for me as I do pourover 90% of the time and it grinds fine enough for when I break out the moka pot. I love to tinker but so far I've had no real desire to experiment with after market 64mm burrs that fit (SSP, Gorilla Gear, etc.). Much of the price is absolutely for the aesthetics and with so many options these days, it's highly unlikely that it gives you the best bang your buck. The true test will end up being longevity and how good support is if needed.

Currently trying to talk myself out of getting a Fellow smart scale. It's way more than I need as far as functionality goes and stupid expensive but currently seems to be the only thing out there with everything I want that does it all well (research continues though). They came out with their "studio edition" first, so I'll try wait for if/when they release a standard version with less frills (and a lower price).

Jeez, they didn't even send me an email yet and I have to find out second hand! At least it's cheaper than my Acaia scales. :devil:
I love the looks of the Acaia scales and they do have a cheaper option: the standard Pearl. My thing with the Acaia and many other expensive smart scales is that I want to be able to quickly change units back and forth between grams and ounces (don't really need lbs that would be a plus) without needing to go through a complex button pushing process or using a phone app. If I'm paying north of $150 for a scale, I want to be able to also use it for measuring recipe ingredients without it being a hassle (or having to do conversions) if the recipe only lists ounces for weights.

Old thread but I'm chiming in as an Ode v2 owner. I've had no complaints with it thus far (about 8 months in). Grind has been consistent, the anti-static technology has been working as advertised, and I really like the aesthetics and small footprint. It's not intended for espresso which isn't an issue for me as I do pourover 90% of the time and it grinds fine enough for when I break out the moka pot.

That is a looker, for sure.

So far my Baratza has been fantastic. I've been using it about 4x daily and have not had a single issue. Of course it hasn't been very long but so far I'm lovin' it.

My thing with the Acaia and many other expensive smart scales is that I want to be able to quickly change units back and forth between grams and ounces
I wish I had a good suggestion, the plug in scale(forgot the well known brand) that I have would be perfect for you, but it's discontinued. Most scales seem to be moving in the direction of portable "connected" devices. Unfortunately, my lab scale has a low weight limit so I can't recommend that either!
(yeah, I have a separate scale for everything)

I wish I had a good suggestion, the plug in scale(forgot the well known brand) that I have would be perfect for you, but it's discontinued. Most scales seem to be moving in the direction of portable "connected" devices. Unfortunately, my lab scale has a low weight limit so I can't recommend that either!
(yeah, I have a separate scale for everything)
I'm now seeing that with the 2021 Acaia Pearl (newest version), you can quickly switch back and forth between grams and ounces while in "weighing only" mode just by holding the tare button. No need to go into the advanced settings like you have to with the Lunar. I'm still leaning more towards the Fellow though even though it would be paying more for fewer features and modes. Seems much easier to use and I actually like that it has physical buttons and a knob (I'm not making espresso). I'm in no hurry to make a decision though since it's just a want, not a need. I can get by with my current cheap scale. Biggest pet peeve that I have with cheap scales are ones were there isn't much warning when the battery is running low. Once the low battery indicator comes on, you might as well just start over if you are in the middle of pouring because they won't even last another 2 minutes without new batteries or recharging.

Top Bottom