What's new

Electric burr grinder

Did a search and skimmed the results but looking for current or "fresh" information.

I'm a firm believer in diminishing returns, which is why I shave with a second-hand Timeless and not a Wolfman razor. I'm looking for something accurate and reliable, maybe even something that is easily serviceable should the need arise.

I currently use a Timemore C3 which works fantastically but drinking four cups a day, sometimes five, the novelty has worn and it has become tedious, especially for that eyes-half-open first cup in thr AM.

So, reccomend me a nice, durable, accurate grinder that can grind single-cup or full pot quantities of beans, and also makes me feel good about the price.

I'm not set on budget, and I'm the kind of person that wouldn't blink at getting a quality consumer-grade appliance that will be used often and will last, like a $400 Mixmaster mixer or a $300 Vitamix blender (if i baked a lot or drank smoothies every day 🙂).

I just don't want to waste money on something extravagant that I don't need.

I too did not want to spend too much. But over the years bought several cheap ones that didn't work well. The static electricity problem was huge.

Right now I've been quite happy with my Cuisinart DBM-8. It is less expensive than the one you posted. I've been using it for 7 months and it works well. Perhaps add that to your list for consideration?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

Dude, I was about to recommend that very grinder to you! Its known as one of the best consumer grade, but high end conical burr grinders. It is serviceable, upgradeable indeed, and will produce a lot of coffee grinds, enough to make a pot yes. Also, by its pro-consumer design, it should last many years.

I'd like to summon my coffee wizard friend @APBinNCA who owns one of these grinders, who can deliver your the absolute review based on personal experience. But, just so you know, based on the information I know about that grinder, buddy, your gonna like it!

I too did not want to spend too much. But over the years bought several cheap ones that didn't work well. The static electricity problem was huge.

Right now I've been quite happy with my Cuisinart DBM-8. It is less expensive than the one you posted. I've been using it for 7 months and it works well. Perhaps add that to your list for consideration?

I will certainly consider it, thank you. 🙂👍

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Static can be controlled by using the method of RDT, the Ross Droplet Technique. This is produced by using a fine mister sprayer, such as a Flairisol, and give the beans one shot of mist from the trigger, before sending them through the grinder.

I also own a Cuisinard DB-8 grinder folks, and its an OK consumer grinder, but I honestly have more negatives about that grinder then positives. First, it uses ceramic burr's, and they heat up hot, with exacerbates the static problem considerably. Also, the thing is loud as a jet engine. Forget making coffee while someone is sleeping, cause you will wake them up every single time.

The Baratza Encore grinder uses stainless steel conical burr set, and is less susceptible to static generation by design, and is a much quieter grinder then the Cuisinart DB-8. I would highly recommend the Baratza Encore over the Cuisinart DB-8. Cause on that grinder, I can speak from experience.

Also, the grinder I use today is a hand grinder, which won't do you any well, since your trying to get away from using hand grinders. But I just wanted to end this message by saying that I have the 1ZPresso K-MAX hand grinder, and I absolutely love it. Has the technology of the Baratza Encore grinder in it with the burr set, for much cheaper cost.

Whichever grinder you choose, I wish you good luck!

Dude, I was about to recommend that very grinder to you! Its known as one of the best consumer grade, but high end conical burr grinders. It is serviceable, upgradeable indeed, and will produce a lot of coffee grinds, enough to make a pot yes. Also, by its pro-consumer design, it should last many years.

I'd like to summon my coffee wizard friend @APBinNCA who owns one of these grinders, who can deliver your the absolute review based on personal experience. But, just so you know, based on the information I know about that grinder, buddy, your gonna like it!

I definitely like that it is user-serviceable, though I'm sure that only refers to the burrs, gears, etc. I'd also want to make certain that my gtinder has a fairly robust motor which will stand up to years of every day use.

Still, seems like a good starting point.

Static can be controlled by using the method of RDT, the Ross Droplet Technique. This is produced by using a fine mister sprayer, such as a Flairisol, and give the beans one shot of mist from the trigger, before sending them through the grinder.

I also own a Cuisinard DB-8 grinder folks, and its an OK consumer grinder, but I honestly have more negatives about that grinder then positives. First, it uses ceramic burr's, and they heat up hot, with exacerbates the static problem considerably. Also, the thing is loud as a jet engine. Forget making coffee while someone is sleeping, cause you will wake them up every single time.

The Baratza Encore grinder uses stainless steel conical burr set, and is less susceptible to static generation by design, and is a much quieter grinder then the Cuisinart DB-8. I would highly recommend the Baratza Encore over the Cuisinart DB-8. Cause on that grinder, I can speak from experience.

Also, the grinder I use today is a hand grinder, which won't do you any well, since your trying to get away from using hand grinders. But I just wanted to end this message by saying that I have the 1ZPresso K-MAX hand grinder, and I absolutely love it. Has the technology of the Baratza Encore grinder in it with the burr set, for much cheaper cost.

Whichever grinder you choose, I wish you good luck!

Here's what I would ideally like to do:

Load a hopper with a quantity of beans, set a grind consistency, and quantity (if possible), push a button and get the quantity and grind I desire.

I'll load it with my most frequently used beans, and reserve the Timemore manual grinder for a stealth cup at midnight, or an occasional cup using my "special" beans, or for trying new beans.

If you're not jumping into espresso, Baratza Encore is THE electric grinder.

If you eventually jump into espresso, your bank account will take such a hit that you won't notice a little more money diverted to a different grinder.

The Baratza Encore is great. I got a single dose hopper and measure my beans to grind only what I am brewing. Well built. User serviceable with parts and tech support and videos available from Baratza.

I bought a refurbished unit from Baratza and have put several hundred pounds of beans through it. Have not had to repair anything but have had it apart to deep clean.

Last edited:
The Baratza Encore is great. I got a single dose hopper and measure my beans to grind only what I am brewing. Well built. User serviceable with parts and tech support and videos available from Baratza.

I bought a refurbished unit from Baratza and have put several hundred pounds of beans through it. Have not had to repair anything but have had it apart to deep clean.

I'm sold. 🙂

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For readers interested in expanding into espresso, I am a fan of the Baratza Sette. I have the 270. It measures time of grind by hundredths of a second. Once you dial in and set your time, it assures very consistent doses as long as you are using the same coffee. Even if you change coffees, the setting will be very close and easy to dial in. The grind adjustment feature is also excellent. Finally, the grinds just drop into portafilter, basket, or whatever you like, eliminating chute or collection bin cleaning.

For readers interested in expanding into espresso, I am a fan of the Baratza Sette. I have the 270. It measures time of grind by hundredths of a second. Once you dial in and set your time, it assures very consistent doses as long as you are using the same coffee. Even if you change coffees, the setting will be very close and easy to dial in. The grind adjustment feature is also excellent. Finally, the grinds just drop into portafilter, basket, or whatever you like, eliminating chute or collection bin cleaning.

I love this, knowing that the thread may help others. 👍🙂👍

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

...and ordered.

I even applied for the Amazon credit card (with the 29% anual interest rate) and got a $60 credit. (Amazon can kiss that goodbye. 😄😄😄)

Congratulations to Joe :thumbup: !!!WOOHOO!!! :thumbup:

The Baratza, will turn you into a Barista, in no time! Whats really going to astound you, is how uniform the grind is gonna be. Your going to be like, how is it this good? Well that my friend, is what a stainless steel conical burr can do. Incase you didn't know, when it comes to coffee brewing, uniform grind consistency is actually very important.

Don't be surprised when your coffee starts tasting better. And the misses will probably love the coffee that grind produces as well. You will be known in that house as Barista Joe from now on. All company who comes over, will get the benefit of the lovely tasting brews that you can make. They will ask you what your secret is, and your gonna tell them, I got a new grinder, a Baratza Encore.

Heck ya, rock on! WOOHOO 🚀🤘:thumbup1:

Top Bottom