What's new

burr grinders?

I have 3. One double and 2 single drawers. I use them to store "bits"

I'm still happy with my Pasquini after about 12 or so years. I need to put in a new gasket but no interest in changing.
Nice :) yeah they are great machines
as said I need to redo mine the logic board on the single double dose button went out

Kinda think to put a simple lever or switch for on/off and to pull the shot as the boards are quite pricey

This would be my recommendation. I've been using one (a different model) for many years with no issues. They're not huge, but not tiny either.

I got the linked grinder, here is a stupid question - What volume of ground beans corresponds to what normally comes in bag? I am using it at setting 18, which is the recommendation for a brewer in the manual. The ground up stuff is rather fluffy and considerably larger volume than the beans that went in. I tried using the same amount as I have been using in the brewer, it seems to be a bit on the weak side.

Congrats :) sure its going to do ya great :)

Most coffee folks talk about weight in grams and usually per serving
they weigh the whole beans then grind

and yes as you said the grind does make a difference in the volume so their is really no volume that matches or used ?
Even grinders can make a difference on how good they grind type of grinder flat burr or conical etc.. and the bean effects it also is a huge reason why weight is king in measuring :)

You mention 1/4 cup to make it easy if that fits for you better than weighing just try to figure out what works and adjust a bit and should be good on drip in larger pot :) I really do not think its going to make much difference for you :) you will find it a bit strong or a bit weak and not overthink it :)
so measure out a quarter cup of whole beans and grind see how short ya are and try to figure it out ? Short of making something to measure in that gives you close every time if you have a scale measure out and put in something that can work to get you super close like a small water bottle and figure out how high it needs to be make a line or cut it to that height ? Depending on what you like OR get a scale for $10 on amazon and do it by weight for the exact same all the time :) a bit of stuff to have but will deliver the most consistent results :)

As example of coffee nerd :) pour over coffee many will weigh the coffee AND how much water they are using so very precise again not all but the coffee folks do :)

my moka pot I never weigh my coffee even though I am a coffee nerd ya could say because its more about filling the basket and the water to a line inside and I can adjust with a bit post (add a touch of hot water) ? To me its more about old school by looks of the moka pot to why I use it

my espresso I weigh to the nearest .x gram so I literally take out or put in ONE bean over under to get that weight as close as I can :) and know my water weight also to within a gram :) NERD :)

Yeah, I thought about weighing, that would be the way to know for sure. The coffee maker recommends 1/4 cup ground for a 4 cup batch, but different brands and probably even different styles within a brand will be different. I don't have a scale though. Well, I do for my reloading gear...

I should see how 1/4 cup each of beans, previously used ground coffee, and stuff I grind myself compare.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I got the linked grinder, here is a stupid question - What volume of ground beans corresponds to what normally comes in bag? I am using it at setting 18, which is the recommendation for a brewer in the manual. The ground up stuff is rather fluffy and considerably larger volume than the beans that went in. I tried using the same amount as I have been using in the brewer, it seems to be a bit on the weak side.
The proper way is to use a scale, but I go by the amount I twist the grinding dial. I think of a clock. But it's personal preference. For my morning mug I go about 1:00, but for my wife's mug and a half I do a full twist.

It's about the taste. You obviously want to grind a bit more. I'd also experiment a little with the grind setting. If it tastes good it is good.

It finally occurred to me - a 12 oz bag of beans and a 12 oz bag of pre-ground is the same size. A ¼ cup of beans ground up is more than ¼ cup, but thought it likely to work out to be close enough flavor-wise as ¼ cup of the pre-ground stuff. Turned out ok, so might as well go with it.

I do notice the stuff I grind myself doesn't upset my stomach like the pre-ground stuff sometimes does.

I'd recommend a gram scale. They are not too expensive and don't take up a lot of room to store (mine stores under my spare dish towels and takes up less space than a folded dish towel). Try weighing a 1/4 cup of unground beans to get a baseline and adjust from there. Only you can tell what your taste preference is, but with a little bit of science you will be able to easily duplicate your preferred mix.

For years I used a Baratza Encore with an Aeropress and had consistently good results. Since I got lazier, a Saeco super-automatic is my daily coffee maker and grinder.

Encore also you can always upgrade the burr set for $35 to a m2 set which im thinking to do
I make coffee with a Clever Coffee Dripper. I owned a Baratza Maestro for years. It's essentially the same grinder as the Encore. Eventually some parts broke down and I decided to upgrade to the Virtuoso rather than buy the Encore. There's a very noticeable improvement in the coffee. The Virtuoso produces less fines and a more consistent grind. This, in turn, produces a less bitter cup of coffee. The Virtuoso is a more expensive grinder but the build quality is in a different league from the Encore. And for something I use every day, it's well worth the money.

Received a refurbished Baratza Encore yesterday and a one shot hopper. Replacing a Hairo hand grinder. Had one of the best home pour overs ever this morning. So far so good.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
3CE38587-68E3-418C-B3B6-36F74003618B.jpeg
Does anyone have an opinion of the Kitchenaid Pro burr grinder? I’m looking for a burr grinder that will last a lifetime.

There are a fair number of online reviews. The grind looks pretty inconsistent vs other grinders. More than 50% fines regardless of grind setting. If you're not picky would probably good enough. Nice design.

One of the reasons I chose Baratza was that parts are available and replaceable by the consumer. The company has a philosophy of repair vs replace.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
There are a fair number of online reviews. The grind looks pretty inconsistent vs other grinders. More than 50% fines regardless of grind setting. If you're not picky would probably good enough. Nice design.

One of the reasons I chose Baratza was that parts are available and replaceable by the consumer. The company has a philosophy of repair vs replace.
I like the Kitchenaid look, but those glass hoppers will break, and an inconsistent grind rules it out. From my little research, it appears Baratza is the path I may take. Many thanks @JeffJ.

View attachment 1360050Does anyone have an opinion of the Kitchenaid Pro burr grinder? I’m looking for a burr grinder that will last a lifetime.
I used one for about a decade. I found it worked well for brewing drip coffee and the occasional French Press and Aeropress. Mine ground pound after pound of eight o'clock, Trader Joe's, and similar coffees for the autodrip machine. But once I started trying to make espresso and got some hand grinders I stopped using it. The "coffee bar" section of the kitchen counter was getting too crowed with grinders, beans, etc. so it eventually got taken down. Though I still have not parted with it yet.

I really like its user interface, in that the grind setting is always right there in your face and just a simple turn of the dial which nicely fits the hand. However I think it could benefit from having a few more clicks available in the adjustment wheel, as there only a few positions to chose from that work for a given brewing method. Having twice as many steps would be a welcome improvement for fine tuning different brew recipes.

I found it to be a reliable machine, the motor and burrs would steadily plow through hard beans. I broke the glass hopper once, but found a replacement online. The hopper shape also lends itself to a secure grip when being held upside down to pour out the grounds. I never stored beans in the hopper, as there was no good way to weigh or time the amount of coffee being ground.

I've only been regular drinking coffee for about 2 years (bought my first coffee maker, a Ninja). One of the reasons I picked it is it has a setting for small batches. I am making for just myself, so I don't need a 12-cup batch.

Anyway, I've been reading that grinding your own beans is the way to go, and to use a burr grinder, not the whirly blade/food processor/blender.

I've been looking around, mostly on A*zon, and most of what I've seen are big units that combine the grinder with coffee maker and is intended to do the whole 1 lb (well, 12 oz these days) bag at once.

I'm looking for something to grind up 1 days worth, I batch for me is normally 1/4 cup ground coffee per day. Do they make grinders that do small batches and don't take up a bunch of counter space?
I am using Ninja for the last few months. I am quite okay with this but One of the downsides to this machine is that it is very big. Probably 50% bigger than my old one so I had to make more room on my already cluttered counter. I am guessing that the extra size is due to the motor for the frother. If not, then this design is flawed in the space saving category. The coffee grind pot area is easier to use than my old one. This one swings to the left rather than pull straight out and there is a top tray that easily comes out to wash so I don’t have to take the entire section off like the old one. The water reservoir also comes out easier with no twisting and locking needed. Just drops in. There are 2 additional settings for size on this machine. An extra-large cup and extra-large travel mug. The travel mug one is very nice as it fills my oversized mug I bring on long trips.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
PSA - Everyone's favorite veteran-owned artisan soap maker Stirling has Bodum burr grinders on sale right now. I guess he expanded from shaving stuff into coffee. Perfect for The Cafe, right? Anyway, I picked one up for around $50 and its working great so far. WAAAAY better than the blade grinder I was using.

I've had very good luck with Baratza grinders. I have a Virtuoso that I use at home and it does an excellent job of producing consistent grind. The first few year it didn't see a great deal of use, but I've been mostly working from home the past couple years so usage increased dramatically. I good quality burr grinder makes all the difference.

I have a weekend fishing cabin and I picked up an Encore to leave there. I've only had it a couple years and it doesnt have a ton of use on it yet, but I can say that its exceeded my expectations. Grind quality is equal to the Virtuoso and the Encore is an excellent choice for entry level or experienced users alike.

Top Bottom