What's new

EJ89 -> Merkur Futur - any advice?

I've been wet shaving for 1.5 months daily using EJ89. I just received a Merkur Futur which I'm going to use later today for the first time. It was fine, but I was not able to get a really smooth shave without going ATG (which created some irritiation). That's why I decided to try a more aggressive razor.

Any advice on how to make the transition?

Yeah I have a futur and a Qshaver futur clone and I notice zero difference between the two, anyway I'd start on setting 1 or 2 and just take it easy like with any new razor until you get the feel for it. They are slippery so make sure you rinse your hands before attempting to actually touch your face with it.

What setting did the O/P use?

The Merkur Futur is an aggressive razor. I have a coarse beard, and I only use a setting of 1.5 which is perfect for me. Comfortable. No cuts or nicks. And a very close shave!

I've started with the minimal setting. It was much more comfortable /smooth than my EJ, though it looked like I missed a few spots so the shave was uneven.

Would go another time like this to get used to the razor, and then would try to dial up the aggressiveness slightly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

My advice is that you give yourself a bit of time to 'dial in' any new razor. This also means that I need to revisit blade choices. It just takes awhile, at least for me.

Another shave tonight, still got uneven shave. Some areas are completely smooth, some not at all.

I kept the same blade and dialed up from the minimal setting (0.5) to 1. 2 passes, WTG+XTG. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, got slightly better result with my Edwin Jagger.

Another shave tonight, still got uneven shave. Some areas are completely smooth, some not at all.

I kept the same blade and dialed up from the minimal setting (0.5) to 1. 2 passes, WTG+XTG. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, got slightly better result with my Edwin Jagger.
I suspect it might be a case of inconsistent angle.
At lower settings, the range of functional angles isn't very wide and because it's fairly mild at lower settings, you might not necessarily feel the blade in action if the lather is thick enough. Lots of guesswork on my part there about your shaves, though. :p
I only have the QShave and not the Futur, but they should be similar enough for the above to be valid.

One thing to help the EJ head would be to sandwich the blade between to wide shims to reduce blade flex. That should make it much nicer when going ATG.

I ditched my Futur after a nasty finger cut while trying to adjust setting, just not worth it to me. I am staying with EJ89 and Merkur 34c. Just my opinion. Also, with Futur, it is a task to shave the upper lip just under the nose, much easier with the others.

Yes, it does look like a blade issue. I'll continue to use it and see if I can train myself to use it right.

Well you can try this , the area where you are
Having trouble getting smooth, shorten
Your strokes and slightly increase the angle and on the last Pass try using
A buffing stoke in that trouble area , it'll
Take a little time to master this technique
Any time a new razor is used, a 7o'clock
Yellow on setting 1.5 sounds just about
Perfect, take your time and before you
Know it you'll be getting the best shaves
Of your life..
The Futur is really a great razor...
Do keep us posted..

My advice is to quit the goal of a completely baby smooth face for now and concentrate on learning to shave with a good angle. Uneven shave is 100% caused by variation in angle. Some razors got a very narrow window of working angles. Once you are able to keep the angle perfectly (it takes some time to learn), your shaves will be closer with any razor and maybe even you might be able to go ATG.

I believe it is impossible to get completely smooth without going ATG. Regardless of how aggressive razor you use, you will always feel some resistance if you stroke with your fingers ATG if you had not an ATG pass.

Well, another try today. Changed the blade to Astra. Much better results, though still I am having trouble keeping the right angle constantly.

Well, another try today. Changed the blade to Astra. Much better results, though still I am having trouble keeping the right angle constantly.

Well done. It only gets easier and mor consistent from here on out. I will agree with someonee earlier post that the futur is a big headed razor and to me a bit cumbersome to maneuver properly at first. Glad that it's getting better for you though. It was one of my first DE razors and I still like to use it to this day.

Top Bottom