What's new

Ebay and the growth of DE razors

I owe a lot of my collection to eBay (US and overseas). Have I gotten "taken"? Sure. Have I "made out like a bandit"? Yep. Until B&B and other forums' B/S/T become a household name in every market and language, eBay fills that gap.

Sure forums drive up demand, but they also introduce people to the fine art of traditional wet shaving that may not have tried it out otherwise. At the end of the day I'm thankful that eBay is an option. Forums like these help to make our community more educated consumers. Both feed each other, but I think it's a symbiotic "win, win" for all.

Dragonsbeard, exactly how I got my Gibbs. I read in a shaving forum about it and asked a few questions. A friend contacted me privately and told me it's razor we don't want popularized to keep prices down. That was it, I got mine and experienced the great shaves. The REX (and you are right on this one too) popularized the Gibbs and as I have both, I can attest to their differences. The Gibbs is smoother and more efficient on the higher settings, the REX is more balanced, longer which makes it esier to hold, made of better materials, much more practical and also a great shaver. Since I ony have one Gibbs and there isn't a chance I will ever buy a second one given the current prices, I bought a replacement spring and ordered from FrugalShave (Aaron) a replacement sleeve and a travel tin case. This way, I ensure my Gibbs will outlast me.

Last edited:
I don't know how long y'all have been at this hobby, but it's been ~10 years or so for me. I guess I'm lamenting the market-driven costs of DE razors on eBay. Back in the good ol' days (heh heh), you could pick up some nice finds for a reasonable price, but these days it's much, much different. One, everyone knows razors bring in good coin (sellers that is), so they start bids higher, because buyers drive the prices up. Kind of seems to me like what happened to vinyl in the 90s, when before you could find some neat gems at a good price in your local Goodwill - before everyone scoured Goodwills across the country, leaving only scratched Herb Alpert and Jim Nabors lps. Is eBay good for DE razors? Maybe, because you get loads of variety, and have access to a lot. But damn, it's gettin' expensive out there. My 2 cents.

That's the beauty of life. To know that in the past, you lived in the "good ole times" so that you can look back at it and feel good about it. If it was always the good times, you wouldn't know it is the good times since you would not have anything bad to compare it to and surely probably look for something else to complain about :)

So the beauty is, enjoy everything while it lasts because soon maybe you won't even see another vintage razor on ebay anymore, just like used cars became classic cars and now they are all worth way too much....

On eBay, I look for auctions that end at times when many people are doing other things -- Friday nights when people may be out partying, Sunday mornings when many people are attending church, and I place "vulture bids" seconds before the auction ends. You'll win some, lose others, and give up on some when the price exceeds what it's worth to you.

Thank you for helping me place a name to that particular method. "Vulture bids" is a perfect term! And you're right, you just may lose, but it is so enjoyable when you win. I've heard my entire life, concerning anything, that if you don't ask, you'll never know...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Thank you for helping me place a name to that particular method. "Vulture bids" is a perfect term!

Also commonly known as a snipe bid. There are numerous sniper programs that bidders use to avoid having to sit next to your computer at 3:00 am, I use AuctionSniper (pay) or JustSnipe (some free snipes each week).

Overall I would say eBay is a great thing. It allows us as buyers to see dozens if not hundreds of times more razors than we could possibly find on or own, "in the wild". Yes, you will probably pay more for them, but look at the trade off: how much time do you spend, how many thanks of gas will you buy, and there's no guarantee you will find what you're looking for.
As sellers, well the benefits are obvious.

The secret for me has been not search on the item, but learn to be more savvy and creative with your search terms. I've been able to find anything I am interested in experiencing, but it takes time and patience.

Also, we need to establish the max we want to pay. If you loose this one this week, another will be available a week or so later.

I once searched for a month for a '47 Super Speed and then later looked at hundreds of offerings for a E1 (opening) Schick. For me knowledge and a keen eye works better than anything.

Top Bottom